Allowing My Cat To Play With Strays

Dacatchair

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with the general comments expressing concern about the diseases that may be carried by cats that have not received consistent veterinary care, but as someone who recently lost an older kitten that had symptoms and blood work suggesting FIP, I just wanted to say, as I understand it, FIP is not one of the diseases a mature cat is likely to pick up from associating with feral cats. FIP is caused by the corona virus which is spread through contact with feces, at least 1/2 of all cats get exposed to this as young kittens. It is much more common in pure bred cats that lived in catteries as kittens, or cats that spend time in a shelter as kittens. Which is when they are vulnerable to having it get a foothold in their system. It then can mutate into FIP in a small percentage of the cats who become chronically infected, but the FIP form of the virus does not appear to be contagious in it's FIP form. While it is not impossible for a cat to catch corona virus from a cat it meets when it is allowed outside, there really is not any substantial danger of a cat catching FIP because it is allowed outside

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the general comments expressing concern about the diseases that may be carried by cats that have not received consistent veterinary care, but as someone who recently lost an older kitten that had symptoms and blood work suggesting FIP, I just wanted to say, as I understand it, FIP is not one of the diseases a mature cat is likely to pick up from associating with feral cats. FIP is caused by the corona virus which is spread through contact with feces, at least 1/2 of all cats get exposed to this as young kittens. It is much more common in pure bred cats that lived in catteries as kittens, or cats that spend time in a shelter as kittens. Which is when they are vulnerable to having it get a foothold in their system. It then can mutate into FIP in a small percentage of the cats who become chronically infected, but the FIP form of the virus does not appear to be contagious in it's FIP form. While it is not impossible for a cat to catch corona virus from a cat it meets when it is allowed outside, there really is not any substantial danger of a cat catching FIP because it is allowed outside
The concern is FIV.

Sorry to hear about your kitten.

Tink84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
he wants me outside with him t chase him around like a dog its funny everytime i let him out he goes out and looks back at me waiting for my reaction but i havent been feeling very great lately especially due to weather to stay out long with him so if i got him another kitten hed probably not want to go outside since hed have a play mate
My cat does this loads but he hides and I can' get him then orbhel swipe so the chase doesn' last long then off he jumps over the fence! I don' want to be cruel but my boy is better now and having his collar taken off today but I don' want to let him out again although I know he will go straight to the back door!!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat does this loads but he hides and I can' get him then orbhel swipe so the chase doesn' last long then off he jumps over the fence! I don' want to be cruel but my boy is better now and having his collar taken off today but I don' want to let him out again although I know he will go straight to the back door!!
It's not cruel. He will adjust and he will be safe. Enrich his indoor environment, and perhaps consider training him to walk on a harness for supervised outdoor time. You could have lost your boy this time. I can't imagine taking that risk again.

midnightsun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just want to point out that I live in a country where basically all cats are let outside unsupervised and they have the same life expectancy as indoor only cats. The dangers you guys apparently have in the US don't apply everywhere in the world. I think people should consider that before being so judgemental about people wanting to let their cats out.

Tink84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree talkingpeanut that' how I'm feeling at the moment and feel it' being cruel to be kind! He' going through a bit of a rebellious teenager phase at the min but is 17 months so I'm hoping any month now gel be grown out of that phase and over it! I'm currntly sat curled up with a coffee & blanket over me on the seatee while he's asleep in his den!!!
Too cute though

Tink84

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just want to point out that I live in a country where basically all cats are let outside unsupervised and they have the same life expectancy as indoor only cats. The dangers you guys apparently have in the US don't apply everywhere in the world. I think people should consider that before being so judgemental about people wanting to let their cats out.
I appreciate this point hence my feelings and wonder wether too or not. I just personally feel he's been through this....what next?
My vet already told me It was lucky I took him when I did because the abscess had burst and e could have lost his tail and received spinal issues if the infection had gotten a day worse!! This saddens me to think that I thought I was doing the best by giving him what he wanted letting him out and I could have lost him in the process!! That' a chance I'm in two minds I want to risk again now I have the experience and reasons I've encountered! X

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
matt1991 matt1991 we may not have as much wildlife that are a risk to our cats in the UK as other parts of the world but we still have some especially foxes that are growing in population and quite daring in their search for food. You can give your cat a wonderful life indoors with plenty to play with and your company. Maybe sometime later on you will be able to buy or build an enclosure for him to spend a couple of hours daily in. As @di and bob suggested, a chicken coop would work

Dacatchair

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also think the decision as to whether or not to let cats out is sometimes not black and white. I live on a rural island with few cars, sheep farming, no real predators, no nearby feral cats, no cases of FIV have been seen on the island, and although there is probably rare cases of an eagle or owl trying to grab a small cat, I have never personally heard of a cat being injured in this way. Also there is a large population of non-indigenous rats and rabbits that destroy property, orchards and gardens. And 6 months of the year I spend 1/2 my time outside doing yard and garden work. So keeping a cat locked in the house here, when I am outside, would just feel weird, though some restraint and close supervision when they are young is appropriate. Yes there is still some risks. A cat got hit by a car 1/2 a mile from here recently, on a road with 1 car every 15 minutes. That was big news in the neighborhood and a first in almost 4 decades, and in this situation the cat may have been lost or abandoned and that affected its judgement. (No one had seen it before and we all know each other’s cats here) But unless they are always kept in a crate, indoor cats also have accidents sometimes, and when they do no one blames the person who keeps them locked in. Or suggests they are irresponsible.

And sometimes it may be safer for a cat to be allowed outdoors. If an inexperienced indoor only cat has constant opportunities to accidentally escape, if and when it does without learning the basics of being outside first, it will be at very very very high risk of getting lost or injured. If a cat has enough experience to learn the lay of the land, and afterwards it wants to get out, and is not allowed, it may get injured jumping from a window or crushed door dashing, or trip the person coming in the door carrying laundry or firewood or vegetables. I am in and out constantly. Indoor only cats are also much more likely to develop Pica which can be a very serious life threatening problem. PICA: EATING THE INEDIBLE So I think people need to talk to the long time residents of their neighborhood, carefully weigh the risks in their own area and lives, and consider the personality of the cat. In some areas and for some cats, after a slow supervised introduction, and a well informed parasite management plan, it may be safer to let a cat out than to try and keep them in. But in many or most areas, it is clearly safer to keep them in.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

matt1991

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you considered fixing the strays and doing some basic vaccinations? It would help them to coexist peacefully.

yes but that would cost alot being a young single man idk if its worth that type of investment around 200 a cat or more

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
$200 per cat would be at your standard veterinarian's office. There are a lot of free and low-cost spay/neuter and vaccination services and clinics now. Have you checked to see what your city and county offer? Your local Humane Society probably offers something.

The best way to protect your cat's health, other than keeping him indoors all the time, would be to take care of the other cats' health.