Allergies?

unfable

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For about a year now my male cat Zep has been having bald spots because he over grooms. Hes gone through the cycle of getting a steroid shot because the vet is convinced he has some sort of allergy, which lead to a nightmare and a $800 vet bill because he didn't take to the shot well. So now im super paranoid to medicate my cat... We've also gone down the route of changing out his litter to hypoallergenic to cross that off the list of things he could be allergic to. The vet then suggested a food allergy. I switched his food to an HA formula that is also hypoallergenic. My cat didn't take well to this food change and I thought he was going to starve to death so I didn't go the full 8 weeks.

The weird thing about all this is my other cat Leela is also itching and having issues. What are the odds of both cats suddenly becoming allergic to their food they've been on for yeas at the same time? The only difference is she doesn't lick bald spots. She chews at her paws, scratches at her head and bites at her tail. Both cats are treated for fleas with revolution monthly, which also kills ear mites. (Which the vet said they don't have anyway.)

They do not have any sores or scabs. I've noticed they both have darker patches of gunky looking skin on their heads near their ears, but not actually in their ears. Its not black or super dark either, just a different color from their skin, maybe a light brown? Both cats have watery eyes also, but no discoloration or funky discharge. Possibly just some tiny eye boogers in the morning.

Leela also is going to the vet on Thursday because shes constantly licking her butt. I assume because of this mystery allergy. It looks irritated and red.

I'm just at a loss -_-. I make sure the dust and vacuum and mop constantly to make sure dust and other things aren't bothering them. I have no idea what else to do. Should I just go back on the food for the full 8 weeks and hope they don't starve themselves? Still seems weird both cats would have a food allergy all of a sudden.

Any suggestions of things to look into would be awesome. Thank you!

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Find a food that has no soy.
I don't know why they put soy in petfood but it causes nasty reactions and soy intolerance can develop over time so one cat might be more sensitive while the other just started having trouble with it.

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Soy increases the protein content of the food without the added expense of upping the meat protein. It is a cost cutting measure.

It is done with some human food as well. Same reason.

To avoid soy, read labels carefully.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are they on a flea treatment? Even if you can't see them, fleas can cause reactions. My guy is allergic to fleas and all it takes is one bite to cause him to react. He licks around his tail nearly bald, even if the vet can't find fleas, if we don't keep up on his treatment. Since both seem to be reacting to something I would try flea treatments if you aren't on one just to rule that out too.

I would also try a limited ingredient commercial diet over the HA diet for a few weeks. HA diets are usually proteins processed to the point that the cats body doesn't recognize the protein. Personally, I am allergic to everything and the idea of something being universally "hypoallergenic" to everyone is a crock. The number of times someone has had me try their "hypoallergenic" product or told me something was "all natural" so I wouldn't react because it was in their marketing materials? If I had a dollar for everytime that same person witnessed me react in shocked silence I'd be rich. Honestly, human or pet products labeled hypoallergenic should say "contain less commonly reactive compounds" or are marketing gimmicks.

But if the problem is soy, which isn't far fetched read your own food and see how much soy is used as a cheap filler/protein, HA formulas won't work because a lot use versions of soy. Something like Natures Variety or Natural Balance LID with a non poultry non fish protein and no soy or potatoes might be worth looking into and more patible for the cats.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are they on a flea treatment? Even if you can't see them, fleas can cause reactions. My guy is allergic to fleas and all it takes is one bite to cause him to react. He licks around his tail nearly bald, even if the vet can't find fleas, if we don't keep up on his treatment. Since both seem to be reacting to something I would try flea treatments if you aren't on one just to rule that out too.

I would also try a limited ingredient commercial diet over the HA diet for a few weeks. HA diets are usually proteins processed to the point that the cats body doesn't recognize the protein. Personally, I am allergic to everything and the idea of something being universally "hypoallergenic" to everyone is a crock. The number of times someone has had me try their "hypoallergenic" product or told me something was "all natural" so I wouldn't react because it was in their marketing materials? If I had a dollar for everytime that same person witnessed me react in shocked silence I'd be rich. Honestly, human or pet products labeled hypoallergenic should say "contain less commonly reactive compounds" or are marketing gimmicks.

But if the problem is soy, which isn't far fetched read your own food and see how much soy is used as a cheap filler/protein, HA formulas won't work because a lot use versions of soy. Something like Natures Variety or Natural Balance LID with a non poultry non fish protein and no soy or potatoes might be worth looking into and more patible for the cats.
I have the same problem. Nickel sensitive, Latex sensitive, Citric Acid sensitive.
For flea reactions I found a Neem shampoo only Only Natural Pet Supply. It relieves the itching right away and the fleas don't like it much. My Louffa kitty will sometimes lick and scratch herself until she is a horrific mess but this stuff helps. It has a strong smell but since it works the cats don't really dislike it.
I can't always rinse it out completely but I haven't noticed any bad side effects. I had a cat in my shed that had really bad fleas, he had pulled a lot of hair and quickly became anemic. I washed him with this shampoo which made him feel better even if it doesn't kill the fleas. Then fed him a Capstar and brought him inside. It has taken about two months for him to recover from the anemia naturally but the important part of the story is that he groomed himself after the neem shampoo baths which helped rehydrate him and there was no vomiting, no diarrhea, no rash or seizures.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

unfable

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To reply to a few questions, both my cats are treated for fleas monthly with revolution.

Also their wet food does contain soy. Which reminds me, the past 2 years I did switch their wet food from the Frsikies shreds/chunks to the Friskies gravy pouches. Maybe something over a period of time has been messing with them from the pouches? Not sure whats hugely different from the two however.

Heck I'd love to switch all their food around, but they need to Purina UR dry food for their urinary health. Its the main thing keeping them from having bladder issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

unfable

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also if it was the soy in their wet food, how long will it take to see a change? I have some blue buffalo wet food they originally turned their nose up to that I'm going to start using.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It usually takes two-four weeks for digestive issues to sort out once the sensitive item has been removed. There may be a change towards the positive within 72 hours; but full adjustment and leveling out takes a little longer.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So food allergies in cats have become common. The top two offenders being fish and poultry. You'll find you need to get limited ingredient food to remove every bit of both. Some cats are fine with turkey. My cat is on rabbit. Cats be new allergic to a combination of food and environmental.