Allergies or something more…?

Kayeff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since yesterday morning, my cat has been sneezing somewhat frequently. It slowed down this morning but he’s doing it again this evening. He’s also had eye boogers that I’ve had to get out of his eyes. Could this just be seasonal allergies or are these symptoms something more? He’s my only cat doing it (three others, one from the same litter as him). Nothing in the house has changed, no candles, cleaning products, etc. he’s almost four if that changes anything.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
As long as more symptoms don't appear, I would wait it out for a few more days and see what happens - especially if he, and/or his siblings, have not had URIs in the past. If you are going through seasonal changes right now, it is possible that is the cause. Cats can acquire allergies at any given time, just like humans. If his symptoms start to be seen in your other cats, that would probably warrant a vet visit as there are URIs that can be contagious and would likely need some sort of treatment.

See link below for more information about URIs and possible causes, and what to look for in terms of additional symptoms.
Upper Respiratory Infections: What to do if your cat has a cold | FirstVet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kayeff

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As long as more symptoms don't appear, I would wait it out for a few more days and see what happens - especially if he, and/or his siblings, have not had URIs in the past. If you are going through seasonal changes right now, it is possible that is the cause. Cats can acquire allergies at any given time, just like humans. If his symptoms start to be seen in your other cats, that would probably warrant a vet visit as there are URIs that can be contagious and would likely need some sort of treatment.

See link below for more information about URIs and possible causes, and what to look for in terms of additional symptoms.
Upper Respiratory Infections: What to do if your cat has a cold | FirstVet
I made a vet appointment for Thursday. I don’t get paid before then so that was the quickest I could get him in. The other three aren’t sneezing or anything and I haven’t heard him sneeze today but he still is getting eye boogers. He’s eating and acting normal, so I’m hoping it’s just allergies. We live in upstate New York so it is slowly starting to get cooler. He was also at the vet about a month ago for “squinty eye.” One of his eyes was squinty for awhile and they checked for respiratory infection and he was clear. They never found a cause, just had us give him eye ointment twice daily and it cleared up. Hopefully everything checks out next week at the vet and it doesn’t get worse.