Allergies/cat acne?

toebeans214

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kittens have been treated for ringworm in the past. We noticed a bit of thinning fur atop the head and got tested again and it was negative. Then we noticed back of right ear was a bit off and then missing fur at base of left ear.
Right ear seemed more diffuse and left ear the fur loss seemed to be spreading, yesterday I noticed a bump by it and kitty seemed a bit sensitive— today the bump seems to have bled
Vet wants to rule out ringworm again but honestly I don’t want to do the test again as we ruled it out before and I suspect allergies or sensitivities to food/environment.
Does the appearance look familiar to you guys? I’ve attached a before and after of the progression.
Ordered some Vetericyn and limited ingredient diet foods to start.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. How long ago was she re-tested for ringworm? Unless it was done during the time these spots were already there, it would seem the most prudent thing to do is get her retested - again. What good will the products you are buying do if it is in fact ringworm? An anti-microbial won't do much for a fungal infection like ringworm.

Maybe you could send pics to your vet to see if they might think it is something other than ringworm?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toebeans214

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Th
HI. How long ago was she re-tested for ringworm? Unless it was done during the time these spots were already there, it would seem the most prudent thing to do is get her retested - again. What good will the products you are buying do if it is in fact ringworm? An anti-microbial won't do much for a fungal infection like ringworm.

Maybe you could send pics to your vet to see if they might think it is something other than ringworm?
It was during this time with the thinning fur. Honestly I've had them tested for it so many times I felt like it was a bit excessive we had 3 negative in a row. I've suspected allergies as my other cat also had thinning fur as well who also has been tested negative for ringworm.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be allergies - environmental or food. Are these cats related? That might make better sense for them both to have the same allergy. Possibly something to do with the litter? Or, dry/arid air in your home - maybe dust mites?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you ruled out ear mites? Could be a food or litter allergy. Have you changed either of those before this started?

toebeans214

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It could be allergies - environmental or food. Are these cats related? That might make better sense for them both to have the same allergy. Possibly something to do with the litter? Or, dry/arid air in your home - maybe dust mites?
They are brothers and both dislike chicken so I wondered too if smfetak things are genetic. I had my husband stop using the deodorizer for the litter (told him before but I guess he didn’t think it was that important). I did order another brand that supposedly is dust free. I wondered too if dust mites might be a possibility as I am allergic to that as well

toebeans214

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you ruled out ear mites? Could be a food or litter allergy. Have you changed either of those before this started?
I’ve tried to look inside their ears but I don’t see any black or buildup? I can try cleaning the inside if they will let me just in case.
I had asked my husband to stop using the litter deodorizer but he hadn’t -.- he refilled the tidy cats unscented without it and I’ve ordered another brand that’s supposedly dust free.
I also ordered limited ingredient diet foods to try since I was feeding a variety of foods so they wouldn’t get addicted to one particular type. The only limited ingredient diet foods I could find for kittens are Taste of the wild Turkey and Blue Buffalo Basics turkey. They actually have eaten turkey but I suspect the allergy may be to either whitefish, chicken and or potatoes.

toebeans214

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
their ears inside looked pretty clean—Is this area of no fur right under their ear normal do you know?
98263CC9-3ADE-4413-A121-F60CA04D5C94.jpeg
3F508A68-0F5E-4029-BFE7-0448DE9128C1.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby has a lot less hair right in that area. I suppose cats vary. The area does look clean and free of dirt/irritation. But, this is different from the original spot you were worried about at the beginning of this thread. May be they aren't related?

toebeans214

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Feeby has a lot less hair right in that area. I suppose cats vary. The area does look clean and free of dirt/irritation. But, this is different from the original spot you were worried about at the beginning of this thread. May be they aren't related?
Oh yes, it's just something I was wondering about, as their thinning fur prior was also above their eyes and I wasn't sure if this spot under their ears was always there. Sigh. This is my first time having kittens so I don't really know what's normal and what's not. Limited ingredient foods are not coming until tomorrow. We found some vomit this morning I think Earthborn was too rich for our kitty's tummy (or is it the potato in it??). It's so stressful/confusing argh