Allergies -- Allerpet?

jackandme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A long time ago, when I got my first kitten, I found out I was allergic. Many people recommended a product called "Allerpet". It's a solution you rub onto the cat. It's supposed to eliminate, or at least cut down, dander ...and some protein or something? Feld1 or something?? -- therefore helping allergies. It's been a long time since I used it, so I could be mistaken on the terminology/what exactly it's supposed to eliminate.

Anyway, Allerpet helped me A LOT. It got to the point where my then cat could snuggle up to me and I didn't have an allergic reaction. It was great!! I probably bought only 2-3 bottles of it, so it wasn't a life long thing for me to put on my cat.

Then, much later down the road, I got my first Siamese cat and found my allergies were pretty much non-existent with her. So, I stuck to Siamese cats and allergies weren't a problem.

Just over a week ago, I got a kitten (my 2nd kitten ever as I always adopted adult cats). And, the allergies are back. It's tolerable as I wash my hands after playing with him and I'm OK. But, I was wondering if I should go buy some Allerpet and my question is:

Has anyone heard anything bad about this product (Allerpet)? -- I haven't used it in a really long time and I believe it is still sold in stores, but I want to be sure that no ill effects have been discovered since the last time I used it.  And/or if anyone here has personally had a negative experience with it.  

Also, anyone else have a cat, but are allergic? If so, what do you do to help your allergies be not so bad?  

Btw,  I will never, ever, NEVER give up my kitty -- not due to allergies or for any other reason. Just thought I'd put that out there, lol. 

Thanks for any help and info!

Last edited:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I have never used Allerpet and I don't have allergies, but I was so curious about it that I looked it up.  I always check out amazon reviews first and found the complaints had to do with the product not working or the cats hating it.  I didn't see anything about it being harmful:  http://www.amazon.com/Allerpet-for-...e=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&showViewpoints=0  

You might want to check out the following thread for some positive experiences:  http://www.thecatsite.com/t/42208/has-anyone-tried-allerpet-c

I hope you get more feedback than mine since allergies to cats are such a common problem.  My last two bf's were both allergic and I saw how they suffered.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jackandme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank-you Margd!

I will check out the link for the reviews. Thank-you as well for the link to the thread on Allerpet. I read it and I think I'm like the last poster who said it's a miracle product, as I just needed to use it for a short while on my kitten way back when, and no more allergies. 

It worked really well for my allergies in the past and I think I will buy some again.

Last edited: