Allergic to some cats but not all?

Allyskits

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I have 3 cats, and regularly foster kittens. I myself don't have allergies, however my mother does. She has always had allergies and cannot come to my house without taking an allergy pill, I usually just visit her instead. But she has a lot of friends who have cats, and she noticed that with a couple of her friends, when going over to their house, her allergies didn't bother her at all, even with the cats coming right up to her and wanting to be pet. and she started wondering if somehow over the last few months her allergies either got less or just went away. while I know it's possible to outgrow allergies it seems unlikely it would happen over the span of a couple months. and google tells me you can be allergic to some cats and not others. which seems more likely to me.
Skip forward to now and I got another foster, and she needed some extra care because she got sick and my mom suggested she could look after her for a while, so she could give her food regularly including at night (most of my fosters are usually a bit older and don't need night time feedings anymore). I also got the impression she wanted to test her allergies. she has always wanted a cat but never could because of how bad her allergies were, and fostering seemed like a good way to test the waters.
she has had Maya for a week and half now and it's going well. Maya is not sick anymore and getting more playful. and so far my mom has not had a single issue with allergies. normally her eyes would be watering, she'd be sneezing, and her asthma would get pretty bad. but so far nothing.
So I guess we're wondering at this point, does Maya happen to be the one cat that she isn't allergic to, or at least only very mildly, or is this because it's a kitten and thus much smaller, and once she get bigger and older the allergies might kick in?
Maya.jpeg

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a difference in the amount of allergens in different cats. While the dander and fur cause allergic reactions, they are finding out that there is something in the cat's saliva that is the worst allergen. It is called Fel d 1. Since cats spend so much time grooming, it gets spread about. Some cats are significantly lower in this allergen. I had bad allergies, got over most of them, but decided to get a hypoallergenic cat. I got a Siberian. Many Siberians test very low for the Fel d 1. I have read that some who react badly to most cats can be in a room with Siberians and not react. I did not react to mine.

I hope your mom continues to do well with Maya! Life is so much richer with a cat!

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first vet I met in Germany was allergic to some cats - evidently only those with very soft fine fur, but not necessarily long-haired cats. At the time I only had moggies - an assortment of short hair strays and one BSH, someone's unwanted pet. He was allergic to just one small moggie (Susie) - I had to hold her when he examined her - the others were no problem.

I have had people come to dinner - stay a few hours - until one of my cats enters the room. "Ugh! Have you got cats? I'm allergic to cats but your house must be so clean. I think we'd better be going!"
My house is certainly not particularly "clean" but I believe allergic reactions are often unpredictable. I can only say that my own allergies are practically non-existent when I am on top of the world, but at the end of winter and in times of stress they can really get me down.

Hopefully your mother will be able to keep Maya and everyone will be happy! Good luck!