Allergic Reaction? Yeast? What Now?

Sandy Beach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok guys. I’ll be calling my vet in the morning to make an appointment but I could really use some advice in the meantime.

Moon has been scratching at her head above her eyes, licking her paws and over grooming that area as well as digging in her ears with her back paws while meowing loudly since this morning. Her left eye is weepy, clear fluid. No known or visible injury.

The insides of her ears look slightly wet, almost a light tan color but with no smell. Ears don’t appear to be red or inflamed. She is not coughing nor sneezing, she is eating/drinking/using the litter box with no issues and continues to be playful.

She allows me to check her over but I can tell she is uncomfortable when I touch her ears or the raw spots above her eyes.

When she had her full upper mouth extraction, her skin was raw in those same places and the Dr. was sure it was due to her scratching because of the infection in her mouth. After the surgery and a course of Clavamox the issue appeared to be gone. We are 3 weeks post op, and the issue is back. Although this time, the runny eye and ears are new.

She received vaccinations last week Wednesday (Eclipse+3 and FeLV), rabies over a month ago, Revolution administered on Oct. 1st...and has been on revolution since August without missing a dose.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Are there any particular tests I should request when I speak to my vet? Any experienced guesses as to what this could potentially be?

I’m going to include a couple photos. Can’t get the greatest photos of the insides of her ears. Thanks everyone.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I have no experience with this, but I wanted to send all my thoughts of healing to you.
If it's the shots she received last week that started this up again there's no way to undo that. Pointing a finger at the Revolution is usually my first thought but...
Try a chamomile tea wash on all the hot spots, be sure and use the baggies, not loose leaf.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sandy Beach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My vet is stumped. Did a culture on her ears, it did not show yeast but he’s not convinced that it isn’t yeast. So she’s on gentamicin drops. He thinks that maybe all the antibiotics in the past couple of months may have allowed yeast to grow. He said whatever it is, it’s not too bad right now and we caught it early.
I requested a mange culture, that came back negative. Good grief. Most expensive cat EVER.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sandy Beach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add that they also used the black light to make sure that it was not ringworm. And it is not ringworm.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Whew, that's a relief about the ringworm in the midst of it all!
Hopefully the tea at least helps her to feel better.
Brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, and swab it on. It relieves itches, and is mildly antibacterial and antifungal, so it will help prevent any secondary infections.