Allergic reaction to vaccination

meimipop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all,

I'm looking for people's experiences with allergic reactions to vaccinations.

I got a new kitten and he got his first shots 2 weeks ago at 10.5 weeks. This was the triple virus plus FelV. At the time I wasn't fully aware of the risks associated with the FelV vaccine in particular.

A couple of days later he started itching and he opened a wound by scratching in the neck area, after that a lump in the injection site appeared. He went to the emergency vet who was pretty much useless and gave us a steroid cream. A couple of days ago he developed some more smaller lumps on both sides of the neck so he went back to his usual vet who gave him oral antibiotic and antibacterial cream for his wound (healing well although itchy still). Vet said it's a rare allergic reaction and he should be better in a few days.

It's been a bit over two weeks from his shots and I can't wait for this to be over.
Has anyone had a similar experience? How long did it last? I'm sick with worry and don't really have faith in the treatment given ☹

Thanks!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

meimipop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
find a vet that specializes in cats only or mostly soon!
Sadly that's not an option where I currently live. I do miss my old cat only vet.