All-wet diet?

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have two five-year-old boys, Andy and Ollie. We've had them since they were six-months-old. In the last couple weeks, Andy was acting a little weird about the litter box- going in and out repeatedly, somewhat frequently, pawing at the litter a lot. No other behavioral changes, eating & drinking seemed normal, and we didn't see anything concerning in the litter box.

After a few days of this, we decided to take Andy to the vet for a urine test. The vet found nothing to indicate crystals or an infection, but he did note a higher than normal red blood cell count, which he thinks could just be caused by some inflammation in his urinary tract and he recommended trying an all-wet diet for Andy for a few weeks, then re-testing.

We currently free-feed dry food (Wellness Grain-Free Indoor Formula, Chicken), which they both eat. We try to feed them Weruva wet food, usually the "Grandma's Chicken Soup" flavor- Andy loves it, but he'll eat anything. Ollie is super-picky about wet food. He'll usually eat the gravy, but ignores the solid parts. We discovered recently that he'll eat a little more solid if one of us stands there with him, so I guess he's a social eater.

We both work full-time during the day- my husband gives them a small portion of wet food in the morning (Andy finishes whatever Ollie leaves) and the dry food is out all day. They get another small portion of wet food when we get home. Andy is also a FAST eater, so is prone to throwing up after eating too quickly whether it's wet or dry. He probably throws up every other day, but it's within 15 minutes or so of eating, and it's usually undigested food (maybe some fur)- no blood, no bile.

So, our plan is to get a microchip feeder for the dry food so that only Ollie can get it. We'll go from two wet food servings to three for Andy, but we're not sure how much in terms of ounces if that's all he's getting. And we were thinking of trying one of those "minimal ingredient" wet foods just in case he does have a sensitive stomach and that's contributing to the puking. Also maybe one of those raised, slanted food bowls so he's eating in the ideal position. If we're doing this for his health and are going to be spending more money on food, I want to give it the best chance of success.

Any advice on amount of food? Andy is a lean and lanky 12lbs- the vet says he's the perfect weight for his frame. He's very energetic and food-motivated, so I think he burns a lot of calories, but like I said, he also eats quickly, so it's going to have to be broken up into small portions. When he was a kitten, we tried one of those silicone inserts in his bowl that's supposed to slow down their eating and he chewed through it :ohwell:

Any thoughts on type of food? Is it worth trying new food or should I not change a variable?

ETA: We thought he's been drinking enough water, but maybe he's not. We use a regular water bowl, but keep it across the room from the food- that increased water consumption for our previous cats. We tried a fountain with the previous cats, but once you've come home to find someone has vomited in the fountain and it's cycled through all day and you have to clean that out of every nook and cranny, you give up on the fountain 🤢

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It sounds like your vet might suspect FLUTD, and one of the 'treatments' for this is to add moisture to a cat's diet, such as through canned food vs. dry. Getting a cat to drink more is helpful too, and some folks buy their cat a water fountain to help entice them. If the vet didn't do blood work, I would also have that done to see if there is a similar elevation of rbc's which could point to the need to investigate other possible issues.

If you want to put both of your cats on canned food, you might consider a pate style rather than chunky food. I also think if you can find a way to slow down Andy, there might not be a need for a sensitive stomach food. Many cats who try to eat too fast can be given their food in dishes that are designed to slow them down, rather than the silicone inserts. Some of the ones made for dry food also work with canned food too. Spreading canned food over the surface of a plate can also restrict how quickly a cat can eat the food. Elevated dishes are also a good idea; sometimes this can be accomplished by using books or other household items to raise the dishes/bowls.

Here are a couple of TCS articles relative to FLUTD and FIC.
Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (flutd) - TheCatSite Articles
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis - How To Improve Your Cat's Quality Of Life - TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. It sounds like your vet might suspect FLUTD, and one of the 'treatments' for this is to add moisture to a cat's diet, such as through canned food vs. dry. Getting a cat to drink more is helpful too, and some folks buy their cat a water fountain to help entice them. If the vet didn't do blood work, I would also have that done to see if there is a similar elevation of rbc's which could point to the need to investigate other possible issues.

If you want to put both of your cats on canned food, you might consider a pate style rather than chunky food. I also think if you can find a way to slow down Andy, there might not be a need for a sensitive stomach food. Many cats who try to eat too fast can be given their food in dishes that are designed to slow them down, rather than the silicone inserts. Some of the ones made for dry food also work with canned food too. Spreading canned food over the surface of a plate can also restrict how quickly a cat can eat the food. Elevated dishes are also a good idea; sometimes this can be accomplished by using books or other household items to raise the dishes/bowls.

Here are a couple of TCS articles relative to FLUTD and FIC.
Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (flutd) - TheCatSite Articles
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis - How To Improve Your Cat's Quality Of Life - TheCatSite Articles
Thanks for the feedback. I updated my post above to include information about the water situation. We tried a fountain with our previous cats. It didn't go well and we gave up.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the feedback. I updated my post above to include information about the water situation. We tried a fountain with our previous cats. It didn't go well and we gave up.
Have you also added more water dishes around the house? I have 3 for my cat, and I find she drinks from all of them when she passes by.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hello -
Regarding water, this might help;
Tips To Increase Your Cat’s Water Intake - TheCatSite

For super easy to clean, there is this elevated fountain, which walmart has for a couple different prices (one doesn't have the extra filters, I think);
NPET 50oz/1.5L Pet Fountain Automatic Water Fountain for Dogs and Cats - Walmart.com

and the kittyspring desimore nonelectric waterer
KittySpring Waterer 2: Non-Electric, No-Hassle Cat Fountain

Regarding food, this might help;

How to Keep Your Cat from Scarfing Down Their Food - TheCatSite

How Much Food Should I Feed My Cat? - TheCatSite

Weruva wet food, usually the "Grandma's Chicken Soup" flavor- Andy loves it, but he'll eat anything.
Any of the Weruva foods are good because the company is actively working to avoid having overly high levels of aafco required nutrients, ie; sticking to the minimum unlike some other brands, plus they've stopped adding carrageenan, etc. I personally think this is important to avoid stress on organs such as the bladder and kidneys :)

Last edited:

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Wet food is always preferable. My cats get about 85 % wet food. Hard kibble is flavored for appeal — but is mostly corn/grain. Not a good diet for pets. 💕 🐈😺

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think the chances of one of the cats vomiting AGAIN in a fountain are slim to none, but I can see why you might be reluctant to get one. IF you change your mind, the one above from Walmart looks like the best choice to me. It certainly looks easy to clean. I would use onlu filtered water, whatever you do, and I would add extra water to his wet food. Just not too much or he might not like the food.

With most of the Weruva food, they aren't very high in calories, and it sounds like he might need around 300 calories per day to maintain his weight. This is something you will need to try out and see. You can figure it out by how many calories he is eating today perhaps? It may be hard if they are currently sharing food. Anyway, the Grandma's Chicken Soup only has 58 calories per 2.8 oz can, so even feeding one full can with 3 meals per day would not be enough if he doesn't get any dry. I'm guessing he will get breakfast, after work early dinner, and before bed late dinner? AND, feeding an entire can might be too much for a scarf and barfer . I have one of those and do use a raised tilted slow feed bowl, but even with that I cannot give him too much in one sitting or he will still regurgitate his food soon after eating. So he cannot eat an entire small can of food as a meal. My point is, perhaps you can find something he likes that has more calories yet still be low carb? Pates are usually quite a bit higher in calories and most don't have a lot of junk in them.