All right - HAIRBALLS

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The two buss-heads (as my father would say) are my first indoor kitties. The rest have lived outside primarily - some of them do get to visit indoors, Pumpkin in particular - and either they didn't get hairballs or we just didn't see them cough them up.

I've heard that hairballs mostly occur in indoor cats. Do you have this problem? Is there a certain environment, diet, etc. that can cause or contribute to this wonderful phenomenon? Just wondering what to expect when S & G get older.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If anything, I would think an indoor cat would have less hairballs since they generally are groomed more often and the temperature is more consistent throughout the year. I believe you're right and no one is going to not notice a hairball puke indoors, but outdoors most go unnoticed and a cat will probably nibble on grass and what not from time to time to puke up little hairballs before they get big.

Furminate once every week or two, feed a good quality food w/ sufficient fat, and keep the temp relatively constant and shedding and therefor hairballs should be at a minimum. If you notice symptoms, I believe the petroleum jelly based products are best. I keep a little tube of Hartz malt flavored around, although we haven't had to use it in ages.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only one of our kitties who gets furballs is Shadey but that's pretty much because he has REALLY long fur. This doesn't happen often however as we try to brush him frequently, provide a good quality diet along with a water fountain, so all of our babies drink lots of water.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have hairball problems with either of my kitties, but that's probably because I feed them primarily a wet food diet w/ pumpkin and I brush them a couple of times a week.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

I don't have hairball problems with either of my kitties, but that's probably because I feed them primarily a wet food diet w/ pumpkin and I brush them a couple of times a week.
Sounds great - mine are about 80% wet right now (I leave kibble while I'm at work since they're kittens). Hopefully it won't be an issue for them, either! Thanks!

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by parsleysage

The two buss-heads (as my father would say) are my first indoor kitties. The rest have lived outside primarily - some of them do get to visit indoors, Pumpkin in particular - and either they didn't get hairballs or we just didn't see them cough them up.

I've heard that hairballs mostly occur in indoor cats. Do you have this problem? Is there a certain environment, diet, etc. that can cause or contribute to this wonderful phenomenon? Just wondering what to expect when S & G get older.
Housecats tend to have fewer hairballs in my own experience. We still have them now and then. My first cat, Hoot used to have them all the time. I changed her dry kibble to Nutro Max Indoor and it helped with the issue. I left her wet food the same. Diet will play an important role in helping to reduce hairballs.

I also have a Furminator for both the cats and the dogs. I use it once or sometimes twice (twice during the heavy shedding months) a month. They all get, and look forward to a daily brushing every morning right after breakfast.

I'll get a hairball maybe once every 3 months or so. I can never tell which cat it's from ;(

nedgar08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A question regarding hairballs - is that the only reason why a cat would have a dry cough? My kitties do, except nothing ever comes up!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A non-productive cough is best checked out by a vet. Could be nasal drainage or even asthma.

konstargirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used tomlyn laxatone cream to prevent hairballs for Misa since she constantly licks herself and gets hairballs. So far it works fine. Maybe give it a try.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nedgar08

A question regarding hairballs - is that the only reason why a cat would have a dry cough? My kitties do, except nothing ever comes up!
Do all of your cats have the dry cough? If so, I would at least call the vet or take them in. Could be some type of virus etc. that they keep passing around.

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by konstargirl

I used tomlyn laxatone cream to prevent hairballs for Misa since she constantly licks herself and gets hairballs. So far it works fine. Maybe give it a try.
I've heard from a customer that the cream works well.

orangeishcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Brushing helps keep Peanut from getting hairballs! I got a de-shedding tool that works wonders.

justjayde

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My routine to help with hairballs is brush him every few days... feed him pumpkin and? GRASS!

Cat grass has truly made a huge difference for my Kismet... he was hacking and yacking for a few days and just couldn't get the hairball out. I decided to try grass - to help him. He has not yacked or hacked since. The hair now moves through with the grass. I just make sure not to give him too much grass
He loves his grass - begs for it... where as with gel's he hates them.

Works for us.