All Pine Litter Box Vs Tidy Cat Breeze (wood Pellets)

atp0726

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
New cat owner and have tried almost all the litters out there for my two kittens and so far really like the pellets. They don't track like the clay litter and I can by them for around $5 at my local Central Tractor (horse bedding).

I have been using the Tidy Cat Breeze box and it works fairly well with the pellets but its becoming a daily or at least once every 2 day chore to dump the pull out pan when its full.

I have been looking at the All Pine Litter Box All Pine Litter Box and wondering if that is a better solution? Looks like there might be a little more space underneath for the sawdust to fall through? I was thinking of buying 2 and using the 2 bottom pans with one sifting tray and finding a couple more pans a similar size for the other sifting tray.

I will be moving the kittens boxes to the basement slowly overtime and will probably drop whatever sifting box I end up with into a covered box to keep the dog and kids out and then once in the basement a higher sided container if necessary, so not as concerned about the low sides of the All pine.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to use non clumping pine pellets and I liked that they didn’t track but I also hated dumping the box/clean-up. I have recently discovered Okocat clumping wood litter. I purchase the “longhair version” which comes in pellet-form. It doesn’t track as much as other litters so it has the benefit of pine pellets, but it also clumps so it’s easier to clean. The other advantage of clumping litter is that it allows you to see the size of your cat’s urine which is important for monitoring their health. You might check it out.

Natural Wood Clumping Cat Litter for Long Hair Breeds | ökocat | Healthy Pet

P.S. If you choose to go down the route of using a box with holes, I wouldn’t purchase that box; I would just make one by drilling holes in a regular litter box. It’s not worth the money IMO.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

atp0726

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to use non clumping pine pellets and I liked that they didn’t track but I also hated dumping the box/clean-up. I have recently discovered Okocat clumping wood litter. I purchase the “longhair version” which comes in pellet-form. It doesn’t track as much as other litters so it has the benefit of pine pellets, but it also clumps so it’s easier to clean. The other advantage of clumping litter is that it allows you to see the size of your cat’s urine which is important for monitoring their health. You might check it out.

P.S. If you choose to go down the route of using a box with holes, I wouldn’t purchase that box; I would just make one by drilling holes in a regular litter box. It’s not worth the money IMO.

Hmm..hadn't heard of the Okocat. So the difference in the long hair version is the pellet size? How is the odor control? Other than the solids with pine pellets not getting completely covered sometimes,there is hardly any smell.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm..hadn't heard of the Okocat. So the difference in the long hair version is the pellet size? How is the odor control? Other than the solids with pine pellets not getting completely covered sometimes,there is hardly any smell.
Yeah, the regular version is kind of just like shreds of wood so it tracks more. The longhair is actual pellets so it won’t track as much (I use it with my shorthair cat). The pellets aren’t as large as some pine pellets though so they will fit through many litter scoops with larger holes (I had to find a scoop with slightly larger holes than the one I had at my local pet store).

Odor control is very good and it’s far less dusty than pine pellets. I actually find it’s better for poop odor than pine because my cat actually covers his poop fully with the Okocat. I usually fill the box once for seven days, then just add a bit more litter on top after 7 days. Then completely empty and clean the box after 14 days and start again.

It is pricier than pine, but I think it’s worth it.

5CatsOnTheLane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
New cat owner and have tried almost all the litters out there for my two kittens and so far really like the pellets. They don't track like the clay litter and I can by them for around $5 at my local Central Tractor (horse bedding).

I have been using the Tidy Cat Breeze box and it works fairly well with the pellets but its becoming a daily or at least once every 2 day chore to dump the pull out pan when its full.

I have been looking at the All Pine Litter Box All Pine Litter Box and wondering if that is a better solution? Looks like there might be a little more space underneath for the sawdust to fall through? I was thinking of buying 2 and using the 2 bottom pans with one sifting tray and finding a couple more pans a similar size for the other sifting tray.

I will be moving the kittens boxes to the basement slowly overtime and will probably drop whatever sifting box I end up with into a covered box to keep the dog and kids out and then once in the basement a higher sided container if necessary, so not as concerned about the low sides of the All pine.

Just joined the Cat Site. Am reading up on Stove Wood Pellets, Pine Horse Bedding and Corncob Horse Bedding for Litter. I have anywhere from 6-20 cats at my Foster Care and Sanctuary house. Litter is very expensive and there have been too many times I've nearly run out before my next paycheck. These alternatives are intriguing as I first noticed a message to ask for free Sawdust from a local Lumber Yard. I've identified 3 near me if I go that route. The message then said to add the Wood Pellets. Free Sawdust and cheap Organic, Environmentally Friendly Wood Pellets, around $6./40 lbs. at Tractor Supply. Then, what about the smell? Another message said sprinkling Baking Soda at the bottom before the pellets keeps it fresh. Good enough. Another $12/40 lbs. of Soda at Walmart. All good stuff for the cats and I can get them weened off the Special Kitty Clay litter from Walmart. It's dusty and most likely not good for kitty or environment. A lot of the messages about the Pellets refer to using the used litter as compost but ONLY if I get a farm.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome!
Special Kitty Clay litter from Walmart. It's dusty
I just tried this, it's very dusty but I combined it with some other corncob and walnut litter which, oddly enough, absorb the dust.
It sounds to me as though you've found a viable solution for your situation - good for you!!