All of my last litters of kittens have been adopted :)

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As of last night, the last kitten from the latest 2 litters I have raised after pulling from the shelter before they were euthanized was adopted.

I wanted to share this with those of you who foster and rescue, I know many of you out there have a very difficult time letting them go and feel an emptiness in your hearts.

While I have been rescuing for many years, my husband has not, we have only been married now for a little more than 2 years, so he is still feeling loss when the kittens and even sometimes adults move on, as I saw him on our back porch last night with watery eyes after saying his goodbyes.....

It saddens me for him, I know those feelings so well, but have learned with time and countless cats and kittens, that I am their stepping stone, I was their second chance, I gave them life back, health, and so much love.

I will see them through to their new, loving and forever home, I see and feel how they adapt and become a member of the family of their adoptors.

Nothing makes my heart as warm and full as getting a random email 6 months, a year after they go, from someone who adopted one or a pair of kittens, who I saved, some I raised from just days old, recieving an update with a picture of that baby I raised and gave life to, now as a big boy, or a big girl, one I hardly recognize until I look at their face, awww....there's my baby!

Or one of "my" (as I still call them) adult cats. A sick/starving or injured stray, pregnant or not, just a mess, lost eyes, the state of wandering, where did my family go, the waiting for them to come get me, I am so hungry, I don't know where to go, it's scary......

Taking that cat in, giving food, warmth, love, meds, transforming that helpless suffering soul into a loved and safe, healthy and well cat, fur is growing back plush and soft, eyes are bright, they look forward to me coming in to visit and show affection. They get a name, they lose the hopelessness, they do belong in this world.

Then finding the right home, for example what a pleasure it was to recieve a recent email and picture of the once doomed cat Hope, who I had actually started a thread here about, what a mess, delivered 7 babies while waiting her turn to be killed, premature babes, just too small to make it,. she was too sick to care for them, even the vets recommended euthanizing her because they had serious doubts she could possibly ever recover. Hope is the name I gave her as she was being examined....., left behind, unwanted, sick as death and 4 lbs...bag of bones, so sick......and here she was now, being held and hugged by a young girl who this cat was able to fill that spot in her heart, her heart's desire, what she needed, and she will grow up with this bond and friendship beautifully.

Another story, book closed.

It's a great feeling of pride, fullfilment, and peace that I can't describe. That kitty's story with me is done and the book closed.

On to the next......because there are so many more who need me!

If I am not able to keep my heart available to rescue those who are fortunate enough to cross paths with me, who will save them if not me??

They always come. A phone call, or the humane society or shelter, or a new kid showing up at one of my colonies, they will always come.

This is what rescue is about. They needed me, and when they are done, my final gift to them is finding them their forever home, for them to live out their lives fully, loved and cared for.

Believe me when I say, I truly love each and every one of them. But this doesn't mean they are mine to keep forever.

I know they have a place somewhere in this world that they will fit into perfectly. It's my committment to make that happen.

Then move on to the next......:) It really is okay to let them go. 

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a wonderful post and update! You said it so well. Thank you for expressing this.

Yes, we do love each and every rescue, but I try and explain that if I kept them all, I'd then be unable to save others! They have to move on to their true forever homes. My S.O cries also when it is time to say goodbye and tries to talk me into keeping them. I cry too, but know I need to let them go so when the next furbaby comes along, who really needs me, I can devote my limited space and time to them.

deborahlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I read this and the tears are flowing.

Isn't it the most amazing feeling when you can send a healthy, happy, loving kitten or cat to its own loving home when it came to you, as you said, sick, aggressive, distrustful, starving, terrified, etc., etc.

Recently on facebook I came across someone talking about a kitten up for adoption that I had fostered.  How cute and funny he was, a little thief, and how he was a riot and so loving and how everyone loved that whole group of kittens, how playful and affectionate they were, and what amazing personalities they had, and on and on and on.

If they had seen them a couple of months before ...this was a kitten from a group of 10, 8 had been left in a dumpster behind a petstore, 2 were pulled from animal control with their mother who were too sick to care for them and were slated to be euthanized.  All were about a week old, and hand to be hand raised.  They were all so sick, I fought pneumonia, and herpes, and horrible eye infections, and the calicivirus, and parasites and midnight visits to the emergency vets, and back forth to the regular vets so many times.  The rescue I foster for referred to them as "The Demon Kittens."  Sadly, 3 didn't make it.  But the fact 7 of them pulled through ... the rescue didn't think any would survive. By the time they were ready for adoption, I don't remember ever feeling so drained.

So to see them being talked about like that ... it was definitely a gift from what I call "The Cat Gods." 

It just made my heart soar.

Every one of then was a piece of my heart of gave up, but I also knew that I could never give them as good a home as someone else could.  I have my own cats, and they all deserved to be the center of attention and get more than I could give them.  I helped give them a chance at life, and to be loved.  That's my role, that's what I do.  That helps me to let them go, remembering that.

Here's a picture of 2 of them Sneaks and Boots ... just so I can show off a bit :).

Last edited:

molldee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This made me cry! I felt so sad when I adopted out two of my kitties that I got when they were only 5 days old. I was very attached to them. Years later, every now and then I get updates and photos of them and they are so big, happy and healthy! I'm so happy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Deborahlee, we ARE the cat Gods :)

Deborahlee, Molldee, Katluver4life, we all know and share the same issues that come with being in rescue. "Outsiders" who are not, will truly never know what it takes, what we go through, the heartache, the full hearts, ups and downs, how huge those downs feel and take such a toll on our lives. They haven't a clue.

But it's okay too, my heart and soul are with them all, and always will be. Somehow I like to believe, that even years later, there's a little light that shines in every kitty's memory, of us, the one who gave them their lives back, or made possible, care and love, hope, worth, and I believe they remember us always as well, just as we do :)