All Of A Sudden Yowling At Front Door (indoor Cat)

Samantha1242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My ex-feral kitty, indoor, approx 2.5 years old, neutered, has started this new thing where he just sits at our front condo door yowling at the top of his little kitty lungs and claw at the door like he wants out. He never used to do this before and when we open/close the door he does not try to dart out. Is this just attention seeking behaviour? Or perhaps there is another kitty in the condo floor that he smells? Any ideas? We have already tried to redirect with toys, which lasts a couple seconds and then back he goes to yowl and claw at the door. We are taking him to the vet tonight for a check up so will bring it up with them too.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would guess another kitty. Get a black light and check your door and hall to see if another cat has been leaving messages out there. Spray the messages with white vinegar or enzyme cleaner to discourage them. Just because your kitty is neutered doesn't mean he couldn't be talked into a fight or making new friends.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yep. That's two of us agreeing with K Kflowers ! I'm betting that SOMETHING, probably SOMEONE (a four-legged someone) is causing the ruckus. Depending on when he was neutered, a female in heat might well get his attention...and he could smell her from a pretty good distance away, even through several closed doors!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And she might live on the third floor. I've seen the boys climb straight up a brick building to visit a lady on the third floor, with a wave and a kiss to the one above her.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This is so true. My major OOPS litter was when I thought I had adopted a spayed female, who promptly went into heat once home. Lived on the second floor. An ambitious tom climbed the building, tore out the screen, and managed to push a heavy wooden window up from a 2 inch gap to a tom-inch gap, enter, and have his way with my girl...she, however, was not adverse to his attentions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Samantha1242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the insight. I know there is another kitty two doors down, however that cat has always been there and Charlie has not cared or yowled at the door until the past couple weeks, so not sure if that's the culprit. I do think maybe someone moved in with a dog down the hall, so perhaps the doggy is leaving marks or causing some weird energy in my boy. Ill look into it! :)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doggie doesn't have to spray as a cat does for kit to know he's there. Doggie feets leave all kinds of messages for kits. I wonder if your boy wants to play with the dog or wants him to move?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Samantha1242

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vet gave him an enthusiastic clean bill of health, so not yowling cause of any medical issues. Must be the new doggies down the hall. Just hoping he doesn't yowl non stop when we are away from the condo :ohwell: