All Blue/Grey Kitties Thread...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amy-dhh

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, if he meowed like on the show, that could get a little annoying

I have a Matt Hoffman "Got Milk?" poster in my stepson's room

OMG, I use quite a few programs. Photoshop, PhotoPaint, Illustrator, CorelDraw, Fireworks, Flash, and Painter are the most common ones. I don't get to use Painter as much as I'd like but it's an awesome "traditional medium" program for airbrush, pastels, oil paints, etc. I use mostly Corel or Illustrator for layout. I don't use Quark at all for my freelance but I sometimes need to use it at my office job and I despise it (I really think it's overpriced and inferior to Corel, but I'm in the minority - and trust me, in the 15 years I've been doing this I've never had anyone put down my skills or have problems with my output files). Quark is just too cumbersome and I think they need to catch up. It amazes me it's still the industry standard.

I love doing freelance... over the years I've done it as much for the money as for the learning and diversity opportunities. At my office job I do mostly web design and only SOME print. For my freelance business it's probably about half-and-half web and print. Print is where I started and where I make more money (in freelance), but web it a nice change.

The best tips I can offer is never low-ball your price unless it's something you've never done and just want the experience. And always be exploring new mediums. My biggest assets as a freelance artist are that I have multiple skills and am cross-platform (Mac & PC). I recently did my first television commercial - did all the editing and art direction myself (using Final Cut)! I also taught myself how to do some 3D modeling/rendering, multimedia stuff like Macromedia Director, Photo Retouching and Photography. It's expanded my opportunities and made me continue to feel excited about my career

Here'a another picture of Cosmo for ya...

and here's a couple of my artsy B&W's...

Originally Posted by lovemycodygirl

Ha, thanks...I wish he meowed like on the show!

I've only been designing for about 3-4 years now. I work for a non-profit ... got milk? What programs do you use? My fav is Illustrator. I find myself using it more and more...even for layout. I would like to start freelancing but just not sure how to get started. And advice?

I love the artsy pics...anything that's not posed and I absolutely looove b/w photography. It's amazing how you can really tell the difference with the Canon cameras...and they're so easy to use. Post some more of cosmo when you get a chance! hopefully I'll get some good shots of cody!

lovemycodygirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agree...they are awesome pics. The one of Cosmo is in the perfect light. I like the artsy ones too. You are definitely a good photography!

And boy, I'm lightyears behind you! I work mostly in Illustrator designing all print stuff. I took classes in web design but never really liked it and practiced. I should force myself to keep up with all the programs and to really learn web design because most jobs I look at have web and print design. I have to agree with you on Quark...I find myself getting annoyed whenever I have to use it. I only use it now for big jobs such as the Annual Report and collateral materials like business cards, letterhead, etc. that have multiple pages. I can do more fun designs in Illustrator and Photoshop. I'm cross platform too at work...but at home, I only have a Mac...which I would always prefer.

Thanks for the tips though...appreciate it! I hope to start soon...if I can find the time! I'm sure there's some books out there that will help with figuring out what to charge for jobs. Do you charge per hour or per job?

I'm still learning Photography but these are a few of my favs. What program do you use to post photos? These are in Photobucket.

and one of my little girl...