Alarming hairballs

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Mittens - she is 12 - has been throwing up hairballs that are so big that it is alarming. Please do not suggest miralax, catalax, laxatone etc or pumpkin, I have been around the block with this stuff many times. I try to brush her daily but I do not always remember. She was in recently for a physical and the vet said it was "unremarkable"; she also had that big GI panel that gets sent to Texas this past summer and all was normal. She had an ultrasound about a year ago - also normal. She is scheduled for another US January 4th. I am worried. The hairballs are so large that they are scary. Does this have to be something serious going on??

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
May I ask what you're feeding her?

Also, did you show photos of some of the hairballs to your vet? Would you consider a different vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm feeding her KD because one of her kidney values was slightly elevated in the test-I forgot what it's called now-but a test for early changes in the kidneys. both my cats had slightly elevated kidney values so we put them both on KD. She likes it well enough. My vet is excellent, she's very tuned in and she's the director of the clinic. I had not thought to take a picture of the hairballs. But I'm going to call tomorrow and see if it's possible to get a sooner ultrasound.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is it the dry or the canned - thinking of moisture or lack of in her digestive system such that her system isn't able to handle the hair.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's mostly canned and it's very "soupy". They both get a little dry for the crunch. But, I agree...her stools are rather hard and dry and I told my vet I don't think she drinks enough. What to do?? There are two bowls of water and a cat fountain in my house...and she gets miralax.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Was she throwing up these alarming hairballs before the ultrasound last year? Is that why she had the ultrasound, or was there another reason? It might not hurt to have another ultrasound done, just to see if anything has changed. And, most certainly, take or send pics of her hairballs to your vet.

When does she throw them up - in terms of when she eats? And, is there food with the hairballs or just the hair? Is she currently on miralax because of the hairballs, or from something else? It sounds like she might have some constipation issues, yes?

Soupy canned food should suffice in terms of enough water. Many cats who eat wet food don't drink a lot. I am thinking she might have some motility issues within her digestive tract - which could explain the large hairballs and the hard and dry stools.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree she does not drink enough. The hairballs seem more recent...no she had her first US last fall...can't recall exactly why..maybe not eating. I had both cats into the emergency clinic at the same time. I also agree that she may have a motility issue...but she is on miralax and still heaving hairballs...which is why I am concerned. She is otherwise great; good appetite, alert, etc. She usually just tosses the hairballs, no food. The last one came up with food..she was heaving before she ate, but it did not stop her from eating.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Probably would help if you got a copy of all her records and reviewed them - to look for signs of repetitive issues and help you to compile a list of questions you could discuss with the vet. Even with very good vets, an owner is the best source for pointing out things specific to their own cats. If you think about it, your vet sees hundreds, maybe thousands, of pets and can't always be on top of things as their owners can be. Don't rely solely on your vet - you can help her by providing specifics you see in things that might escape her because of how many pets she treats. My vet appreciates me keeping up on Feeby's tests and welcomes my questions/input. He and his father before him have been my only vets for my cats for the past 30+ years.

P.S. soupy canned foods is more than likely enough liquid - IF there wasn't an underlying issue.