Air Purifiers and Litter Dust

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Deex2

2 Boys & A Girl
Young Cat
Purraise
We use a Breeze litter system. Virtually no dust, no tracking.
Thank you for your reply. I don't need a system as those boxes are WAY too small. Not sure how the pellets would work on their own without the pad

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I really REALLY like this idea. Do you find the cats bother the pellets or try to eat them? Do the pellets seem hard on their paws?
I used them with little kittens just because I worry about them being so tiny and might ingest clumping litter and also after surgeries

Having said that when Sami was a baby he had burnt paws and could not step on them,he'd lift his little paws -I got regular non clumping to start him out

They will get used to and transition to just about anything but I like the softest granuals I could find for them,that's another reason why I like the dust free I use- it's fine like sand .I'm sure they don't mind if it's what they are used to but I mind,that's just me though

Deex2

2 Boys & A Girl
Young Cat
Purraise
I used them with little kittens just because I worry about them being so tiny and might ingest clumping litter and also after surgeries

Having said that when Sami was a baby he had burnt paws and could not step on them,he'd lift his little paws -I got regular non clumping to start him out

They will get used to and transition to just about anything but I like the softest granuals I could find for them,that's another reason why I like the dust free I use- it's fine like sand .I'm sure they don't mind if it's what they are used to but I mind,that's just me though
Id be worried about a lot of tracking and or the sand/litter sticking to the cats feet?

Deex2

2 Boys & A Girl
Young Cat
Purraise
No- this one
Rarely is it ever on the shelves too- I order it online,from Walmart
And you don't have a dust problem with that? I assume it is unscented?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
be tracked around the house.
It doesn't, plus I have an oversized mat underneath the litterboxes. (I tried a pellet litter a few months ago, I don't recall the brand but I believe it was made out of paper?, that even with the mat it got tracked all the way up the stairs.)

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Id be worried about a lot of tracking and or the sand/litter sticking to the cats feet?
And you don't have a dust problem with that? I assume it is unscented?
I use rubber little mats that are ribbed- the litter on their little paws really does not track with the mats - I'll take a photo for you when I get up later on( gotta rest my knees- yikes)

Yes,it is unscented- I'm a lung cancer patient and my Graycie is asthmatic so " dust" would pose a big problem for my Gray girl as well as for myself and I'm very well pleased.... I scoop many many times a day(5 cats)- 7 litter boxes and as advertised "99%dust free"?

Now they can send me my check for promo :flail:Just kidding,of course

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't, plus I have an oversized mat underneath the litterboxes. (I tried a pellet litter a few months ago, I don't recall the brand but I believe it was made out of paper?, that even with the mat it got tracked all the way up the stairs.)
I tried those paper pellets- your right about that,all over the house!

Deex2

2 Boys & A Girl
Young Cat
Purraise
I use rubber little mats that are ribbed- the litter on their little paws really does not track with the mats - I'll take a photo for you when I get up later on( gotta rest my knees- yikes)

Yes,it is unscented- I'm a lung cancer patient and my Graycie is asthmatic so " dust" would pose a big problem for my Gray girl as well as for myself and I'm very well pleased.... I scoop many many times a day(5 cats)- 7 litter boxes and as advertised "99%dust free"?

Now they can send me my check for promo :flail:Just kidding, of course
5 cats holly cow, i thought three was tough (especially the cost of food)

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
5 cats holly cow, i thought three was tough (especially the cost of food)
It's alot- someone here ,they recently joined ,said they had 10!!!I believe they are all indoors and more outside... If I got it straight,hope they have a really big house

Stormy accepts you

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply. I don't need a system as those boxes are WAY too small. Not sure how the pellets would work on their own without the pad
Fair point. We got the biggest system they had, and two of those. They seem great for my cats, but might not be for yours. Admittedly, they can come a little small sometimes. They also don’t work at all without the pad. I forgot it once and had to clean up Noah’s yellow flood in my hall. I hope you find the right thing for your babies!:dancingblackcat:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I used a big air purifier with a hepa filter and it worked well. Had to change the filter monthly.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I really REALLY like this idea. Do you find the cats bother the pellets or try to eat them? Do the pellets seem hard on their paws?
Nobel was a princess about his paws and I had.to put a thin lawyer of wheat or corn overtop. He was the only one who it bothered his paws...and that was back when they first started making it.. never had an issue with cats eating the pellets but Ghost did play with the odd one at first. (Dry ones)

You have to ensure that the pellets you use are treated for cats to remove the phenols.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
Nobel was a princess about his paws and I had.to put a thin lawyer of wheat or corn overtop. He was the only one who it bothered his paws...and that was back when they first started making it.. never had an issue with cats eating the pellets but Ghost did play with the odd one at first. (Dry ones)

You have to ensure that the pellets you use are treated for cats to remove the phenols.
Do you still use the pellets? I know you learned alot about phenols,the hard way- what do you feel is the advantage of using them( free of phenols of course) - if in fact you do

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you still use the pellets? I know you learned alot about phenols,the hard way- what do you feel is the advantage of using them( free of phenols of course) - if in fact you do
I use different pellets. They are significantly less dusty as there's no dust added to it. I have athsma as does my wife and our late cat did. It does mean clay is a big no-no in our home. My problem was when I lived with a roommate and she bought pellets for rabbits/horses. She wanted to simplify things and have our pets share. I previously had used pine pellets (feline pine) for years with no issue with a bit of shweetscoop on top.

I also didn't like when Lily would come out covered in dust. (She was black like Calcifer). This happened when I used corn for a bit.

I find pellets track less when they are heavier. They tend not to stick to most cat's feet. I didn't really have trouble with it getting all over until Calcifer.

We use Okocat full pellets rather than the original.

Also with the pellets nothing is sticking to their fur so they aren't injesting litter or clumping agents.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
I use different pellets. They are significantly less dusty as there's no dust added to it. I have athsma as does my wife and our late cat did. It does mean clay is a big no-no in our home. My problem was when I lived with a roommate and she bought pellets for rabbits/horses. She wanted to simplify things and have our pets share. I previously had used pine pellets (feline pine) for years with no issue with a bit of shweetscoop on top.

I also didn't like when Lily would come out covered in dust. (She was black like Calcifer). This happened when I used corn for a bit.

I find pellets track less when they are heavier. They tend not to stick to most cat's feet. I didn't really have trouble with it getting all over until Calcifer.

Also with the pellets nothing is sticking to their fur so they aren't injesting litter or clumping agents.
Thank you so much appreciate (&value) your feedback- very informative as always

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise

Which color is that box? It's non scented clumping,yes? I don't see " full" on the boxes or bags I was looking at- would you mind a photo or link- since Graycie is having problems ( congestion) it might help her to consider transitioning from clay-I could see how they all take to it by mixing in one box gradually.....

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Which color is that box? It's non scented clumping,yes? I don't see " full" on the boxes or bags I was looking at- would you mind a photo or link- since Graycie is having problems ( congestion) it might help her to consider transitioning from clay-I could see how they all take to it by mixing in one box gradually.....
It's this one: Okocat® Less Mess Clumping Wood Cat Litter - Low Dust, Low Tracking, Natural | cat Litter | PetSmart

i guess it technically is a clumping litter. I don't really think it clumps.

i don't recommend gradual box mixing personally. I found it best to fill one box full with new litter and put a poo in it. Then, as the cats start to move over to it, I slowly switch over all my other boxes. I usually put out my 5th box to start this process but have in the past just used one of the regular boxes that are out.

THis method never made a flare up for Nobel because he was able to explore it at his own pace and time without being pushed to use it.

Kwik

Animals are Blessings
Top Cat
Purraise
It's this one: Okocat® Less Mess Clumping Wood Cat Litter - Low Dust, Low Tracking, Natural | cat Litter | PetSmart

i guess it technically is a clumping litter. I don't really think it clumps.

i don't recommend gradual box mixing personally. I found it best to fill one box full with new litter and put a poo in it. Then, as the cats start to move over to it, I slowly switch over all my other boxes. I usually put out my 5th box to start this process but have in the past just used one of the regular boxes that are out.

THis method never made a flare up for Nobel because he was able to explore it at his own pace and time without being pushed to use it.
Okay-Ill pull out box #8 and do it your way- sounds like a good idea since it doesn't mix well- thank you.... I just ordered it,lol
2" good?