AHHHH! Huge Bug!!

eatrawfish

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, I thought of posting this in the world's worst exterminators thread, but I felt it deserved it's own post.

I was laying in bed when I noticed the cats batting at something in the hallway. I figured they were just trying to smack one of the annoying little kittens on the head.

BUT NO!!!!

Moments later they chased a HUGE BROWN BUG INTO OUR BEDROOM. I didn't have my glasses on so that's all I could make out. My BF is no great man when it comes to bugs and he started screaming too. He managed to throw a glass over it and trap it and then ran screaming back to the bed. We hid from the bug by getting under a blanket on our bed together for a while.

Finally after I yelled at my bf enough he went and drowned the bug in the bathroom.

We're pretty sure it was a Potato Bug (also known as a Jueruselums Cricket apparently) which is just about the ugliest thing on the planet, I think. I'm not sure if I'm glad the cats found it to be taken care of, or wish they'd just taken care of it themselves!

And I keep thinking, what if it had friends?

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eatrawfish

My BF is no great man when it comes to bugs and he started screaming too. He managed to throw a glass over it and trap it and then ran screaming back to the bed. We hid from the bug by getting under a blanket on our bed together for a while.
I hate to laugh b/c I understand being petrified of bugs, but that just gave me a funny mental picture!

It sound like your cats are taking lessons from the Drama Queens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eatrawfish

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ugaimes

I hate to laugh b/c I understand being petrified of bugs, but that just gave me a funny mental picture!
Oh, I think it's pretty funny too. There were were, hiding from the bug which was very much securely trapped several feet away. It was a HUGE BUG, but my boyfriend is a good 6 foot 2!

In my defense, I deal much better with bugs when they Aren't In My House. I also have a particular hatred for Potato Bugs.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, actually Potato Bugs (the Indians used to call them "earth babies" cuz they do kinda resemble a human baby, in an ugly, icky sorta way) are very useful at killing other bugs & spiders, so they do have a good purpose, but they have very strong mandibles that can inflict a painful bite. An inxeperienced cat can be bitten on the paw; once, I had a cat screaming with pain because a potato bug had latched on but good, and she lost a chunk of pawpad - I ended that session quickly and permanently, but squishing a potato bug was not a pretty sight.

eatrawfish

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Are they mainly a CA thing? My friend from Florida had never heard of them.

Ew, I can't imagine squishing one. *shudders* I didn't want to let my cats mess with it anyway, I don't trust them not to make things worse!

I'm fine with them serving their purpose... outside my house.

Originally Posted by catsknowme

Aw, actually Potato Bugs (the Indians used to call them "earth babies" cuz they do kinda resemble a human baby, in an ugly, icky sorta way) are very useful at killing other bugs & spiders, so they do have a good purpose, but they have very strong mandibles that can inflict a painful bite. An inxeperienced cat can be bitten on the paw; once, I had a cat screaming with pain because a potato bug had latched on but good, and she lost a chunk of pawpad - I ended that session quickly and permanently, but squishing a potato bug was not a pretty sight.

pepper girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ewwwwww....I can just imagine your terror. I'm absolutely terrifed of any sort of bug. I'm glad your kitties pointed it out to you...

eatrawfish

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah. I've been telling my friends about it all day, and none of them have heard of it before, but agree upon seeing it that it is the worst thing ever. I have only seen them a few times, but you don't forget them.

I think that rhinocerous beetle looks cool (maybe wouldn't want it in the house either though) but the palmetto bug would have freaked me out as well.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by snosrap5

I've never heard of a potato bug! So I googled it.
http://www.potatobugs.com/pix/potatobug_14.html
Googling a potato bug!
sounds so funny, could you imagine what someone not familiar with "Google" might think?!
Seriously, though, that's a great way to find out about something. I am going to try that out for "scuppernongs", which are a kind of grape that I bought in South Carolina - they were kinda like little plums or big grapes, but the taste was different & they had seeds & thick skins....leave it to me to switch topics from creepy crawlies to food!
Although, so do my hens - they love a tasty potato bug & later on, I enjoy the eggs!

laceydf

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SICKKKKKKKK!!!! I've never seen a potato bug before, although I have heard of them.

I'm so glad i've never seen one around here!!!!

eatrawfish

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LaceyDF

I'm so glad i've never seen one around here!!!! [/b]
I googled them a bit myself, seems as long as you stay away from the west coast you'll be good.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YIKES!!!!!!!

I think we should have a match up between the potato bug and the beetle..
I think it would be a tie...

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With all this talk of icky bugs I had to add in the bug that gives me the heebie jeebies the most...and one that is plentiful in my basement! The house centipede! Thank goodness for rambo!!!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ugh! I feel for ya!

This summer while DH was away, I had some clothse over the footboard of our bed and a heaping laundry basket below it. Well some huge brown bug went running all fast over the footboard. I got it onto the flyswatter and it ran up it so fast I screamed and droped it and it went running either behing a dresser or into my closet! Then a few days later I saw it in my kitchen. Fortunately it only made one appearance after that and I havn't seen it since. But DH is home now so all is good!

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eatrawfish

And I keep thinking, what if it had friends?

i don't mind bugs, as long as they aren't climbing on me!

We have these huge centipede things here.. they freak the crap out of me!
Especially when one is on the ceiling above your face when your in bed.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renny

With all this talk of icky bugs I had to add in the bug that gives me the heebie jeebies the most...and one that is plentiful in my basement! The house centipede! Thank goodness for rambo!!!
WOAH!
Thats the centipede thats here.. sadly I live in the basement apartment and there is no shortage down here.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think we have those things in NC. At least I have never seen one here. But it certainly is ugly and my cats probably would have run too.