Aggresive pregnant female

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My goodness! Thankfully you were there to cut and tie cords - a real cat midwife! Good all are nursing well and ALL their weights are superb - well above average! Yay!

You can try marking the inside of ears with different colored washable markers, but if mom licks a lot, it may not hold. As they get older you’ll recognize differences more. For now, if one falls below weight for its age, make sure it gets its turn nursing.

They sound very healthy - congrats!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Xtashax82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Babies are doing well.
Baby 1 126g now 140g
Baby 2 123g now 136g
Baby 3 138g now 150g
Baby 4 117g now 137g (huge increase?) Unless first Weight was slightly wrong. New scales and are very sensitive.
1 boy and 1 girl have a little white dot under chin and lower belly so now I can tell them apart haha.
20220620_090457.jpg
received_437785121523004.jpeg

Xtashax82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I started a post a few weeks ago about taking in a pregnant cat with her third litter. She wasn't treated well from what I can gather. She was a bit aggressive but once she had the kittens she became a love bug completely different cat.
Today I can't even go into the room she goes crazy and I have deep puncher wounds and covered in scratches arms back ect as I couldn't get back out of the room everytime I moved she went into full on attack mode. After a little while I tried to go back in and she let me feed her and then came up to me for a stroke so I thought OK something must have spoked her. She seemed fine the kittens seemed fine. So I sat on the end of my bed for a little while and again out of no where she dashed out of her nest and went full on attack mode with me again.
I'm actually scared to go back into my bedroom...
Advice needed please.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wonder if Kitten Lady's feral mom tips might help you? Do you have a cage you could move them all to? Or a closest with a gate so she can still feel secure when you go in?

oven mitts are always helpful when dealing with a reactive cat.

Xtashax82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wonder if Kitten Lady's feral mom tips might help you? Do you have a cage you could move them all to? Or a closest with a gate so she can still feel secure when you go in?

oven mitts are always helpful when dealing with a reactive cat.
My room was the quietest room in the house. I have 4 cats and 2 dogs my bedroom has 2 doors in-between so only secure one there is. I wouldn't be able to fit a cage big enough in there.
My older sons arm is ripped to shreds as he came in to help me. Honestly never seen anything like it the way she went. I would rather not send her to a rescue but if I can't get in to fed check and change the litter (plus all my clothes and bed are in there) I just don't know what to do.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you moved the other animals out to a friends house temporarily their smells would still be in your place, but she wouldn't be hearing them. Would this be a possibility, to move the other animals out?

Xtashax82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you moved the other animals out to a friends house temporarily their smells would still be in your place, but she wouldn't be hearing them. Would this be a possibility, to move the other animals out?
No that isn't an option I'm afraid. And I don't know anyone else who could take her who doesn't have any other animals.
I don't have to even go near her she comes dashing out full on attack mode at me now.
We really thought we had turned a corner with her but now the aggression is 10x as bad.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have a shelter, or a vet tech who could stop by, who is also experienced who can help with this? The kittens possibly need to taken from her, since she's so stressed and wired up that she might not be letting them nurse enough.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Earlier she was loving and cooperative. What has changed?

Her kittens are now only 2 and 1/2 weeks old. I suggest you leave her be as much as possible for now until the kittens are fully 4-5 weeks old, and do NOT introduce a new person such as your son.

You are the only person she knows and she is in full hormonal attack mode to protect her still tiny babies since she was not fully domesticated before.

I suggest that only you deal with her and try to change bedding when she is out of the nest. She will hopefully calm down when the kittens are older, but if not, get her spayed when they are 6 weeks and weaning. A spay will calm her down.

In the meantime, give her as much space as you can. She’s a new, apparently semi-feral mom. Let her be as much as you can beyond feeding and checking on the babies and putting out food and water.

Nothing drastic need be done. Just let her be for now. She’s frightened. Nothing more. Her kittens do NOT need to be taken from her.

It will be easy enough to domesticate the kittens if need be in a few weeks. Try to relax.

Last edited by a moderator:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How are things going? I've been thinking about you and wondering if/hoping that mama cat has calmed down :vibes::crossfingers: :hugs:

This product suggestion (it's an Amazon description) is probably way after the fact, assuming you've already made other arrangements or she has relaxed (although possibly useful for you for future as well as for other readers and lurkers), but these sleeves plus a large piece of cardboard could be helpful in entering the room. However, if she's still in the same room and hasn't calmed down, I don't know what to suggest regarding how to utilize your bed for sleeping at night.

Hopefully you and your son have had a chance to take care of the scratches and punctures so they don't get infected.

100% Kevlar Arm Sleeves Protection Cut Resistant Knit Sleeve 18-Inch Long with Thumb Slot

Last edited: