Aggresive pregnant female

Xtashax82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. 👋
I'm newish to this site havnt been on here in about 14 years!
This is going to be a little long as will try and give as much information that I have about mum to be for her 3rd (as far as I know) and most definitely her last time.
2 weeks ago I messaged a friend I have on Facebook to try and give her information on spaying a female cat she was trying to rehome as she thought she might be pregnant and was attacking her 2 5 month old previous kittens! Long story short I took her in which she was very grateful for.
Nala formally known as betsie which she doesn't answer to (to be honest she doesn't acknowledge anything or anyone unless it involves food) is around 2 yeara old came to me very skinny being able to feel every bone and slightly dehydrated seemed very loving to start with (this lasted just a couple of hours) but also a very large noticeably belly which you could feel the kittens and see small movements. Also a bold patch on her tail (I will include pictures) and very large nipples.
Back ground story her previous owner before my friend had her she had already had 2 litters of kittens. My friend took the cat off her friend when the last lot of kittens were 2 weeks old as they were covered in fleas full of worms skinny and just didn't look in good health. She had 5 kittens in total but one had died before my friend got them because the other owners child had sat on a kitten and sadly killed it. Another kitten died 2 days later after my friend had them which she said was due to the bad flea infestation.
The last 3 kittens got to 3 months she kept 2 I'm unsure what happened to the third I'm assuming was homed with someone. But nala got out when they were 3 months oldish and again 2 weeks after that do not have any dates. She was seen mating with a male the first time if I understand it right.
We took nala on the 30th of May. She has a constant supply of fresh water kitten wet and dry food and she ate like she wasn't sure where her next meal was coming from. The last few days she has calmed down with her food intake not eating much of the biscuits and not finishing her wet food just taking a few bites although she loves a lick-e-lix.
She uses her litter tray fine no issues with her poop she sleeps most of the time and grooms herself loads. She is getting bigger by the day.
Vets said they didn't want me to bring her in as it might unsettle her even more unless there seems to be an emergency with her then just to keep an eye on her and bring her in for a check once kittens are born. So I've had her 13 days the kittens are moving loads almost like they are having a party in there haha.
She's a very angry cat, she will only be nice or let me pet her when food is involved no warnings and she will swipe at you (plenty of blood has been drawn) I have learned the signs on when not to approach her.
I have set up 3 different locations as nesting areas she is confined to my bedroom as I have 4 other cats (all spayed and neutered) the wardrob I have set up as one and I have 2 big boxes lined with puppy pads and blankets one covered with a hole cut out the other open top with a side cut out so she has a choice.
I'm back on night shifts tonight and so know she will end up having then this weekend 🙈
So my questions.
How can I gain her trust or will she always be an angry cat?
Worried about keeping an eye on the kittens what if she doesn't let me near them?
Can't see if she's had any signs of discharge or milk as she won't allow me that close. I can only give her chin rubs or head rubs when I'm feeding her.
I've taken in pregnant strays years ago when I used to live in London we was near a graveyard and train station so used to get a lot. We used to get them spayed after and found homes for them all. But it's been a long time. Only one we had complications with was one needed a c section and none of the kittens made it. Have had to help with removing sacs and cutting cords before when they had trouble (kittens came very fast after each other)
But like I said it has been a while since I've dealt with a pregnant female.
I've done loads of reading from the links on here which has helped loads. Think I just need someone to say all will be OK lol.
I have attached a few images and thank you for taking the time to read I know its a long one.
20220607_151953.jpg
20220606_081503.jpg
IMG-20220607-WA0023.jpeg
20220607_151953.jpg
20220606_081503.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little girl, she still looks skinny, it will take a while. Bless you, for taking her in and helping her!
It could be the hormones that are making her act like that, and she is so scared of being moved into a new home. It has only been a few weeks, and as you know it takes a long time for cats to get used to a new home. The bald spot is most likely from overgrooming from nervousness, from an old flea infestation, or there appear to be some small wounds there and it is itching. The fact that she is letting you give her a head rub is encouraging, I really think she will settle down in time, but it may not be until after the kittens are there and gone to new homes. Just give her room, plenty of food and water and a safe place to be and things will work out. Please keep us informed!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Xtashax82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Poor little girl, she still looks skinny, it will take a while. Bless you, for taking her in and helping her!
It could be the hormones that are making her act like that, and she is so scared of being moved into a new home. It has only been a few weeks, and as you know it takes a long time for cats to get used to a new home. The bald spot is most likely from overgrooming from nervousness, from an old flea infestation, or there appear to be some small wounds there and it is itching. The fact that she is letting you give her a head rub is encouraging, I really think she will settle down in time, but it may not be until after the kittens are there and gone to new homes. Just give her room, plenty of food and water and a safe place to be and things will work out. Please keep us informed!
Thank you for your reply. The tail doesn't look like there are any wounds but looks very dry. She does groom it a lot.
Hasn't got any worse in the 2 weeks we have had her so I'm taking that as a good thing. I sit in the bedroom a lot with her but away from her so she knows I'm there but not bothering her. She is still very skinny no signs of nesting although she does like to sleep on the carpet next to one of the boxes so hoping that might mean she has chosen somewhere. Just hard to say when it will happen so just a waiting game for now. I'm on nights for the next 3 nights and then off for 3 so I'm kinda hoping she waits a bit longer lol.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with all that di and bob di and bob said! She needs lots of time to adjust and she is in protective mode of her kittens due to hormones.

Is she free of fleas now? If so, with the excellent diet you are feeding her she should get healthier and healthier. You can begin giving her a dish or two a day of kitten formula to drink for the extra calcium she will need. Also, you can boil a chicken and give her shredded pieces with broth (just salt, no onion or garlic). You can add cooked white rice as well.

I would not take her to the vet after delivery for several weeks as long as mom and kittens are well. Do have powdered formula and syringes on hand in case a kitten needs help.

I think Nala will be a different cat once she is spayed and fully settles in. In the meantime, let her come to you and wait to see how she is after delivery before handling the kittens. You sound very experienced. Thank you for taking her in!

Xtashax82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with all that di and bob di and bob said! She needs lots of time to adjust and she is in protective mode of her kittens due to hormones.

Is she free of fleas now? If so, with the excellent diet you are feeding her she should get healthier and healthier. You can begin giving her a dish or two a day of kitten formula to drink for the extra calcium she will need. Also, you can boil a chicken and give her shredded pieces with broth (just salt, no onion or garlic). You can add cooked white rice as well.

I would not take her to the vet after delivery for several weeks as long as mom and kittens are well. Do have powdered formula and syringes on hand in case a kitten needs help.

I think Nala will be a different cat once she is spayed and fully settles in. In the meantime, let her come to you and wait to see how she is after delivery before handling the kittens. You sound very experienced. Thank you for taking her in!
I have lactol kitten replacement formula in just incase plus I know its good for mum to have some too. I would have waited a few weeks before taking her anyway. I'm up there on the 15th for 2 of my lots booster shots so they have said I can give them an update then if no other problems occur beforehand. I think she looked further along to start with because of how skinny she was so her stomach showed a lot more.
Thank you for your reply :)

Xtashax82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So just an update she's eaten through the night and a small amount this morning. The kittens can be seen moving on her sides as normal but also under her belly so that's new could be just as she's getting bigger or they are making their way lower time will tell I guess. One night shift down 2 more to go then 3 days/nights at home. But then 7 nightshifts in after that. So fingers crossed its the first part of the week if she's ready of course lol.
Don't think I see any milk coming in yet but can't get close enough to really tell. She did let me give her a few head scratches this afternoon so felt a bit blessed 🙌 no puring when she does let me though so I don't do it for to long. No signs if nesting as yet. Being her third time I'm going to assuming she will know what she's doing so just trusting the process. Not sure how she was with the other litters as very little information was given.
Picture of her today :)
20220611_145927.jpg

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She sure looks content! I pray she trusts you more in the coming days, i know shw will. You are an angel on earth for taking her in. I will keep you both in my thoughts and prayers!

Xtashax82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So just now she chirped at me and cried at me and wanted loads of love. She's hopping from the bed to the nests headbutting me purring wide eyed. Not sure if I saw a contraction or it was just the way she moved. She's kneeding loads and she doesn't normally. I hope it all goes smoothly 🙏

Xtashax82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nope, nothing. She's back to her grumpy normal self lol. It was so weird she was like a completely different cat for 30 mins. She's eaten used her litter tray slept and groomed as normal since and won't allow me near her. I was so sure with the behaviour change and it was such a drastic change.

Xtashax82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Still no change in behaviour this morning, she has turned her nose up at food this morning, managed to get a quick peek while she was laying down and it looks like she might have some discharge (she's a black cat so hard to see) but definitely looks like something. At the vets today I'm gonna show a picture of her tail while I'm there. I havent seen any fleas on her (house wasn't that long ago sprayed with indorex sp? And all mine are done monthly with a spot on from the vets. My vets don't like to give out flea or wormers unless they have had a regular health check so dont think they would give me anything for nala until they are able to see her. So fingers crossed she doesn't have any.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Remember those flea treatments are a poison too. I don't treat them unless I actually see fleas on them. I've had several cats that have had a bad reaction to them, one even lost all his fur, he looked like a sphinx!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree! Do not give anything while she is pregnant and lactating unless she really needs it.

Xtashax82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just an update.
Nala is eating fine, had a bit of a loose stool today but nothing major. Havnt seen anymore discharge. She had a 30 min loving session again that came out of no where, jumped into a couple of nests back and forth and is now sleeping again.
Still doesn't look like her milk has come through yet. Been nearly 3 weeks since we got her and could see kittens moving then so vet said it has to be any day now. As long as she doesn't look distressed etc they are not concerned.
Back on nights tonight. My daughter (22) is gonna be checking in on her every so often and she can ring me if she needs to I just won't be able to leave work. But I've made her do some reading and watching videos and vet number to hand just in case.

Xtashax82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A little update. We have had her 3 weeks and 1 day now.
From the moment we took her in she has had a big stomach and could see kitten movement. She has gotten bigger and the kitten movement is none stop. She had an upset stomach 2 days ago but back to normal now. No nesting and back to eating constant.
Vet said to wait it out. But how long do I wait it out before I start to worry?
IMG-20220615-WA0000.jpeg

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds fine! If she’s not in distress just let Mother Nature run its course!

Xtashax82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Worry nearly Iver.. I came home from work after only being there for an hour as she was acting different and milk came in. 30 mins later labour started.1 black kitten so far
20220619_201024.jpg

Xtashax82

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we have 4 black kittens. I had to tie and cut baby number 2 and 3 cords as she just gave up trying. Baby number 4 was still attached to mum by the cord as placenta hadn't come out(she had cleaned her) and baby was moving about but couldn't move far or feed and was that was for more than 40 mins. So I moved the other kittens to the otherside in hopes she would then get up and once she did she realised baby was attached and then she managed to get the placenta out but then left it so I tied and cut the cord aswell for that one. Had to help the last one onto a nipple and all are feeding well mum has been a love bug towards me most of the day and was fine with me sitting next to her as she would keep coming out of her nest if I didn't.

Baby 1 black boy 126g
Baby 2 black girl 123g
Baby 3 black boy 138g
Baby 4 black girl 117g
Think she's finished now.
Will check weight daily to make sure all are gaining.. any tips on being able to tell them apart?
16556802431692850196410145408752.jpg