Agressive Kitten

CatsAndUnicorns

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
I found a stray kitten a couple of weeks ago. She was sitting on a road and I almost ran her over :-( She is roughly 3 1/2 months old now. I took her in and intended to put her out with my other barn cats and ferals when she was old enough.
She started off very sweet, living with me in my bedroom. Slept in my bed, purred, and was so lovely I even considered keeping her as an indoor cat. Then things started to turn around. She started attacking me, especially at night. She bites, kicks and bounces around on me. She still sleeps in my bed and occasionally has some nice moments where she will come and cuddle. But most of the time when I'm around her she just races around and attacks my hands. My hands and feet are covered in bite marks. I tried ignoring her which didn't help. She just laid there with my hand between paws chewing and biting. I tried spray bottles but she only behaves when I'm holding the bottle. She also wrecks havoc in my room, knocking over things and just running around attacking the walls and curtains.
Honestly, I can't wait for the coming months when I can get her spayed and kick her outside again. :-/ Which is sad because she started out so lovely and now she's a little devil.
Not sure what else I can do to help calm her, I play with her a lot and encourage her to chase toys instead of my hands and feet. But she still relentlessly attacks me at night especially.
Any ideas?

shesmylight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I found a stray kitten a couple of weeks ago. She was sitting on a road and I almost ran her over :-( She is roughly 3 1/2 months old now. I took her in and intended to put her out with my other barn cats and ferals when she was old enough.
She started off very sweet, living with me in my bedroom. Slept in my bed, purred, and was so lovely I even considered keeping her as an indoor cat. Then things started to turn around. She started attacking me, especially at night. She bites, kicks and bounces around on me. She still sleeps in my bed and occasionally has some nice moments where she will come and cuddle. But most of the time when I'm around her she just races around and attacks my hands. My hands and feet are covered in bite marks. I tried ignoring her which didn't help. She just laid there with my hand between paws chewing and biting. I tried spray bottles but she only behaves when I'm holding the bottle. She also wrecks havoc in my room, knocking over things and just running around attacking the walls and curtains.
Honestly, I can't wait for the coming months when I can get her spayed and kick her outside again. :-/ Which is sad because she started out so lovely and now she's a little devil.
Not sure what else I can do to help calm her, I play with her a lot and encourage her to chase toys instead of my hands and feet. But she still relentlessly attacks me at night especially.
Any ideas?
Hi hun,
My guess, and it's just a guess, is maybe something happened to her before you got her that caused trauma at night. or maybe something in the house reminds of a traumatic past, or she may smell other cats around/see cats outside and feel her territory is being threatened.
If she is going after the curtains and walls, it might be she sees your barn cats and might be going, "hey, mom! I smell other cats get them out of here!"
Hoping that helps.
<3
London

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Every kitten I have ever had, six or seven, turned into an insane creature during the night that wanted to use me as their personal chew toy. That is what kittens do, feral or not. You don’t have to put up with it though and you can teach her that beds are just for sleeping. You tell her no and put her on the floor. If she returns immediately and starts back in same thing. Third time you shut her out of your room for the night. You may have to repeat this many nights in a row, but she will eventually catch on and settle down. And as you have figured out, spray bottles do nothing except make the kitten fearful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatsAndUnicorns

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Every kitten I have ever had, six or seven, turned into an insane creature during the night that wanted to use me as their personal chew toy. That is what kittens do, feral or not. You don’t have to put up with it though and you can teach her that beds are just for sleeping. You tell her no and put her on the floor. If she returns immediately and starts back in same thing. Third time you shut her out of your room for the night. You may have to repeat this many nights in a row, but she will eventually catch on and settle down. And as you have figured out, spray bottles do nothing except make the kitten fearful.
I see =) This isn't my first cat but it's my first kitten. Hopefully she'll grow out of it soon and I'll definitely avoid the spray bottle from now.
Thank you for the advice