Agression Or Play??

Gfwilkinson05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just looking for a little advice.

Our Lily is 5 and a half months old, and is due to be spayed this friday. Shes not been allowed outside until shes spayed and chipped but shes obviously keen.

Sometimes she is the loveliest little thing...but then she will jump on my husbands back when hes knelt on the floor (he was getting something out of a draw) and started biting his back and scratched his neck. This happened 3 times tonight, no hissing or spiting, or anything. Just eyes wide, on his back and attacking.

Im a little weary of her these days as a few weeks back she was on the kitchen counter next to me, i turned to look at her, blinked and she went for my face and scratched me. Im even reluctant to sit and relax on the sofa, as if she has a crazy energy spike she will go for my face. I once looked over the arm of the chair to see where she was, her eyes went wide and she went for me.

Is this just kitten play or is she showing aggression?

Weve got a feliway diffuser by her cat bed down at her level. Shes not allowed in the two bedrooms upstairs alone as she started to dig into the duvet and cushions, and climbs the washing line. We hope to allow her up there again when were downstairs, but at the moment she cant be trusted alone. We know she finds this frustrating as she cries at the door sometimes upstairs when were downstairs, but not sure what else we can do on that one.

We both work 9-5 but until shes allowed outside my mum visits every other day, she has plenty of toys, food etc and we play with her every evening before we go to bed. The cat flaps are being fitted this week ready for when she can go out. We still need to work out how to introduce her to the outside and make sure she comes back!

She has now learnt to climb the curtains when we arent around to tell her off and destroyed them just by climbing them.

Advice please, is this normal? None of my other cats ever behaved like this...

Thanks

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old was Lily when you adopted her? Sometimes if a kitten is taken from their mom and siblings too young, like before 12 weeks, they don't have time to learn cat manners, and tend to have play aggression.

Here's a couple TCS articles that might be helpful:
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats
Cat Aggression Toward People
Why Do Cats Attack?

About letting her outside, do you live in an area where she'll be safe from traffic, other animals, and even people. Cats that go outside generally have much shorter lives.

Many years ago my family had an adorable kitten who loved going outside. One day he didn't come home, and my father found his body in the gutter of the street after being hit by a car. He was less than a year old. :sniffle: So please give it lots of thought before you let your sweet Lily outside on her own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gfwilkinson05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, she was 10 weeks old when we got her, but she was the last one left with mum, her 3 siblings left at 8 weeks.

When she was little and living with her mum and siblings she regularly ventured outside (even caught a bat once), and since we got her shes been very keen to get back out there, trying to escape and run out the door. We have a glass conservatory and its her favourite place to be. It wouldnt be fair to keep her inside when shes so keen to go out. We live in a cal-de-sac next to a small wooded area, in a very cat orientated neighourhood, im not worried. In my family weve never kept cats inside. She will be allowed out with the flap during the day whilst were at work if she wants to to burn off some energy and explore, and then shut in at night time. Its what my family have done with every other cat weve had :)

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like a normal, active kitten getting a case of the crazies to me :wave3:
When she's looking at you and her eyes get big, distract her with something like a wand with a bunch of feathers on the end or a toy you can toss or roll. She's playing I'll bet, but needs to learn human skin isn't cat-claw proof :lol:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes time for something like a loud "no!" to work, so with climbing on you, I would restrain the kitten against your body (making sure not to harm the kitten). The idea is to teach it that climbing you is not fun without generally scaring the kitten away from you.

Edit: this is obviously impossible if you aren't paying attention and they get to your back before you know it. But it does work if they start climbing a leg!

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We live in a cal-de-sac next to a small wooded area, in a very cat orientated neighourhood, im not worried. In my family weve never kept cats inside. She will be allowed out with the flap during the day whilst were at work if she wants to to burn off some energy and explore, and then shut in at night time. Its what my family have done with every other cat weve had :)
I, myself, couldn't imagine letting my Ruby outside to roam on her own. I know I'd worry until she was back inside. But I know lots of people still let cats outside. Do, however, ensure you put away some money in an emergency fund in case she gets herself into some sort of trouble while she's outside.