Aggrieved behavior and attacks

bad_kitty2001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't know what to do. I'm 35 weeks pregnant and my cat is displaying signs of aggression. Last week, she was missing for 4 days. We thought she got outside, but turned out she was under the house. I got her out and she seemed to be extra loving. My fiancé let the dog in and the got became agitated and then attacked my dog. The dog was crying in pain and my fiancé grabbed her and lifted her up and the cat jumped 3-4 ft in the air to continue the attack. She then preceded to attack my other cat who was near by. She jumped on the couch and I went to cover her with a blanket. She bit me on my thumb and then attacked my face, leaving a slash across my lip. I began to drip blood and crawled down to the floor and she attacked my back, leaving a big bruise. My fiancé had to grab her and throw her into the bathroom.

After the attack, I went in the bathroom and she was purring and trying to rub on me. I know the dog set her off, but she usually would just run from the dog and jump on the kitchen counter where she couldn't be reached.

Last night, she was laying on my chest and being sweet and I was thinking, how could she behave so horribly. Then my fiancé let the dog in our room and his son forgot to shut the door and as soon as she heard the tags, she attacked my dog again. I tried to back up this time but she completely tore my arm to shreds. We grabbed her and locked her in a carrier. Just prior to this attack, she had lashed out at my other cat for no reason.

This cat and my other cat had their own room until recently. About a month ago, we converted it into a nursery. I have no idea what I should do. I cannot have a cat with this type of behavior around my baby. Please help me with any advice you can give.

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry you're having this problem, especially with a new baby on the way.

It sounds like they have not all been properly introduced to each other (like the kitties had their own rooms for example). How long have you had, and in what order did you get your two kitties and the dog? Can you also share what breeds they all are? (From your avatar photo, looks like Bengal, but not sure about the breeds and size of the dog or kitties--hope that made sense, LOL.)

Maybe you could share more background on all three of them and their interactions, as that would help a lot. Did you do an introduction period with them? If so, how long and what did you do?

Do you have any tall kitty trees in your home? Kitties need high places to go to feel more secure--the counter isn't sufficient from the sounds of things (and sounds like this is an ongoing problem). Coming at her from above when she's agitated with a blanket probably scared her spitless--I understand your panic though--she needs safe places to go to, like high atop a kitty tree.

Since she was gone for four days, have you had her seen by a vet to rule out an injury or other physical problem?

Probably a dumb question, but if she was under the house doesn't that mean she got outside? Can you explain that a bit better, please?
Could also be that she was traumatized while she was gone for those four days.

You might check out using Spirit Essences for all of them: http://www.spiritessences.com/

Congrats on the upcoming new arrival to your home! Hopefully we can help with ideas to have a safe environment for the new little one--and you.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

bad_kitty2001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My avatar is not of current kitties. Maui is the problem kitty. I got Maui when she was 6 weeks old and I have had her for 6 years. Midnight is almost 10 and I had him already when I got Maui. They lives together for 3 years at my apt. I moved into my house almost 3 years ago. Both kitties lived together in their own room. Both cats are Siamese mixes. I've had my chihuahuaix for a year and a half and she has always has roam of the house and Maui has shown dislike to dogs, but just hid. Never anything aggressive. She was under the house in the crawl space and not actually outside where she could be free to wander. We do have a cat tree in the living room that both cats use frequently.

She seems to be fine right now and I guess the dog just triggers her, but like I said...she always just ran out of reach. Never attacked and not only did she attack, she went after everyone around her. The dog, cat, me and my fiancé.

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like her adventure under the house was quite traumatic for Maui, so a lot of loving and kindness will go a long way with her.

It also sounds like maybe proper introductions weren't done when the little doggie was added to the family. If you could train the dog to stop chasing her, that might go a long way toward them getting along and maybe even becoming buddies over time. As it is, she perceives him as a huge threat, so of course she's going to lash out when she's had enough; which is what she did in spades when she was found and brought back into the house by attacking everyone in sight, starting with the dog. Maui isn't a bad kitty, she just feels truly threatened by the dog. A basic obedience class would be your best bet, or a couple of in-home sessions with a private trainer. Your little doggy needs to learn to sit and down or "emergency drop" on cue, as well as "leave it" (break eye contact with) for the safety and comfort of your kitties. Until you can do something like this, keeping the dog on a leash when in Maui's presence can help her feel more secure over time--he can't chase her, but it will take Maui time to notice this. The obedience training is a must for your dog or the problem is not going to resolve.

You also need to start getting everyone used to your soon-to-be new addition to the family. Some things you can do (excerpt in part from Whole Health for Happy Cats, A Guide to Keeping Your Cat Naturally Healthy, Happy, and Well-Fed, by Sandy Arora):

"Give the kitties and dog a little less attention a few weeks before your baby's birth. During this time, limit access to any areas they won't be allowed once the baby arrives so they can get used to off-limit areas. You can play recordings of gurgling, crying, and other baby sounds to help them get used to these sounds. Let them sniff the baby's clothing and furniture as you get the nursery ready so they feel more involved. While your baby is still at the hospital, bring home a baby blanket with the baby's scent on it so the kitties and dog can get used to the new baby smell. When you bring your new baby home, while holding him/her, let the kitties and dog sniff her so that they satisfy their curiosity. Let the kitties and dog be around during diaper changes and other activities that involve your new baby, and include them in conversations so they still feel part of the family. Fit in as much play time with the kitties and dog so they don't feel too left out. Also, keep the kitties and dog's feeding schedule as close to their pre-baby schedule as possible."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bad_kitty2001

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The dog wasn't chasing the cat. That's part of the problem. I guess we will wait and see.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This cat and my other cat had their own room until recently. About a month ago, we converted it into a nursery. I have no idea what I should do. I cannot have a cat with this type of behavior around my baby. Please help me with any advice you can give.
Cats are very territorial animals by nature.  And kicking them out of what they consider theirs is very upsetting to them.  Have you tried helping them create a new space that is just theirs?  That could go a long way in helping.  Maybe put a cat tree by a window in that room or space?  That could be also what going under the house was all about... She was looking for her own space.  But she got scared and probably just hid... Another upsetting and traumatic time for her.  When cats are stressed and scared, they will often lash out with misplaced aggression.  It isn't that she is mad but scared or upset about changes occurring that more than likely have nothing to do with your pregnancy.  Help her find her own space she can think of as hers again.  Maybe get some feliway or the calming collar.  And also, it is a myth that cats do not like babies.  So don't shut her out of the babies room.  Let her be curious and sniff and get used to the new stuff.  Maybe put a doll in the crib or playpen so she can get used to that sight.  Let her be curious and enjoy this experience with you. 

whollycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The dog wasn't chasing the cat. That's part of the problem. I guess we will wait and see.
I know in this one instance the dog wasn't, but I thought from your posts that this has been a problem--the dog chasing the kitty, with kitty jumping on the counter to get away or hiding. Was this wrong? I'm sorry if I misunderstood. Waiting and seeing, IMO, is not a good thing to do with a new baby on the way. I would still recommend obedience training for your little dog, and my other suggestions as well.