Aggressive older male cat bullying new male cat?

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
One of my very good friends has a behavioral problem with one of her cats, Marty, and she is so devastated. Marty has always been overly aggressive and has a tendency to bully other cats. He would bully her 17-year old cat so much before she died that my friend had to separate them for four years. She also has another kitty, Eddie. Eddie is crazy and playful, but he gets along with other cats and was accepted immediately by Marty.
My friend got a new cat two weeks ago, Peyton. He is another male kitty who is two years old, and for the first few days after bringing him home, things were good. But few days later, Marty began bullying him and was almost always stalking and attacking him. Peyton would try to defend himself but Marty is 19 lbs and Peyton is 9 lbs so Marty had the advantage. Marty was bullying Peyton and attacking Peyton so much that my friend had to return him to our rescue. She is so upset.
She has Feliway diffusers in the house, she has tried Jackson Galaxy's Spirit Essences, and Marty has been on a few different medications from the vet, including Prozac, with no change in behavior. I was wondering if anyone here had experienced something similar or had any advice for her? She loves all three cats so much, and it breaks her heart to see that it can't work out. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
How old is Marty now?

I don't have any suggestions... it seems they've all been covered. I do swear by Bach Flower Essences, but then I guess the ones you mention are similar.  It's a sad situation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Marty is six. Thank you so much for your reply. I know, it is so sad. She's heartbroken and it feels like she's tried everything. But her new kitty, Peyton is back with the rescue and will definitely find a great home. :vibes::vibes: