Aggressive Mother Cat

DeBaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had kittens while I was out. I came home and somehow a kitten got separated from the litter, and stuck in an area of the house. I moved my cat to another room so I could safely remove the kitten.

I put the kitten in the room with the other kittens, and moved my cat back. My cat started attacking me. I managed to wrap her up in a blanket, then I brought the kitten to her so she could see it was safe(I did that, because I thought that was the cause of her aggressive).

She picked the kitten up and went under the bed with the rest of the kittens. I quickly left the room and closed the door behind me. Fast forward a couple minutes and I hear a kitten crying, so I slowly entered the room and wrapped my cat. While my cat was wrapped up, I peered under the bed, and noticed the kitten from earlier is not with the rest of the kittens.

I'm lost on what to do. Is she abandoning the kitten? How do I save the kitten, and calm my cat down?

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
DeBaby DeBaby
If the kitten is ill and not going to make it then the mother cat may be ignoring it and concentrating on the kittens who will survive.
Best to leave mother alone with babies. I think yes, that is why she was aggressive.
Try not to move or touch the babies yet.
Offer her privacy. If she is in your room and under the bed then I would leave them be for the moment.
If the kitten cries and the mother does not respond then there is a reason.
Mother cats being defensive of babies is normal.

Maybe some others with more experience of kittens can offer more advice.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pick up a can of powdered kitten formula and a 1 or 2mL syringe and hand feed the kitten every 2 hours that she is rejecting, until you can get it on a nipple and see it latching and not getting separated.

Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady

Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DeBaby

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE: I gave them some space and she accepted the kitten after some alone time. She is still aggressive but I gave her the room to herself and the kittens. So far everything is well.