Aggressive Mother Cat & A Not Very Playful Kitten

anatomae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone.

A bit of background: when my flatmates and I moved in, a cat started coming around occasionally when we were outside. She was super friendly and we'd give her heaps of pats, but wouldn't feed her. After some time, we got concerned that she may be a stray. She had gunk in her eyes and a chest and belly full of thick matted fur (we didn't notice at first, but then she started asking for belly rubs and we realised). We took her to the vet, who shaved off the mats and told us she was neither microchipped nor spayed. We managed to get in contact with her owner by using a collar with our phone number on it, who said he "hadn't seen her in three weeks" and "we can keep her if we want." It was pretty sad, but we weren't prepared to have a cat and considered taking her to the SPCA, but wanted to give the owner a chance first.

We should not have given him that chance. We start to notice her belly is getting really round. She's pregnant. It's too late to do anything about it. She decides to have the kittens in our house. We have five very lovely little kittens who are now 7 weeks old (I live in New Zealand - she got pregnant a couple of weeks before spring). They have been to the vet a couple of times, who has issued a clean bill of health. Let it be known that I am very pro-spay. I hate seeing people let their cat get pregnant, and as cute as the kittens are (I admit, I'm in love with all of them), I wish it hadn't happened. They're a lot of work and Mumma cat is now stuck inside, which she doesn't love but she's putting up with. We let her outside for the first week until I called the vet about spaying her, and she told me not to let her outside before she's spayed. Our vets won't spay her until her milk has dried up.

I'm sorry this is so long, but I wanted to provide some context. We're managing well, but between the poop and the food and playtime, they keep me busy, and I feel like I'm in over my head sometimes! But we do have five lovely, thriving, very friendly kittens. I have two questions.

First question: Mumma cat has started swiping and hissing at the kittens on occasion. Once or twice she's actually raced towards them to do it, but I haven't seen that for about a week. She swipes at them when they come near her, which I understand - she's weaning them and feeding them much less now, and they've mostly switched to cat food. However, sometimes they'll just be standing around vaguely near her and she'll swipe and hiss. She'll do it most often when they're just walking past her or around her. She's never actually hurt them - I make sure to check often - but they seem pretty frightened by it, and will either lie completely still until she moves, or run and hide under a bed or a couch. Is this a normal part of weaning, or is something wrong? The kittens now seldom come near her unless she approaches them for a clean and a feed.

Second question: One of the kittens, Atticus, is markedly less playful than the rest of the kittens. He keeps to himself a lot, and never sleeps in the kitten pile anymore. He'll find a spot under the couch or sit in a quiet corner. Sometimes he'll sleep on my bed. He also doesn't play nearly as much as the rest - the other four are constantly racing about, playing with all the toys we have and generally making a ruckus. Atticus occasionally joins in, and will sometimes chase the stick-and-feather toys we have (I don't know what they're called, they're the toys that a person controls and it has something enticing on the end), but then he'll go back to one of his spots and just watch or sleep. He doesn't seem in pain, and about 80% of the time you approach him he'll meow and then start purring when we pat him (other times, he'll just move his head back or shuffle away when he wants to be left alone, which all of the other kittens do as well). He voluntarily hops up on my bed, gets a few pats, then moves to the edge of the bed to sit/sleep. He'll sometimes follow us around, and he never seems scared. He eats just as much as the rest of them, poops just fine, and is generally very alert (unless he's asleep, of course). There's nothing to really indicate he's unwell or anything, it's just the fact he doesn't play very often and is quite a bit more reserved. Should I be worried? He'll be going to the vet at 9 weeks for his first vaccination round, so I'm sure she can check then, but I'd like to know if I need to make a special trip.

I'm so sorry for this mammoth of a post. I'm bad at explaining myself concisely. Advice would be very much appreciated. I've been browsing this forum ever since the kittens were born, and it's been hugely helpful.

Thank you!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Worry not! All of this is perfectly normal behavior.

Mama cats begin to hiss, swat, and even tackle their babies in order to impose discipline upon them. It is actually a good thing. Kittens who stay with their moms for the recommended 12-16 weeks become better pets because their moms have fussed and worked them over in order to teach them kitten manners. So, don't interfere unless mom is being too harsh.

As for the baby who hangs back, he may be the runt, or he just may be shy. I have a now-grown cat who was born in my house, but was always a loner. He lives here with his mom and siblings 3 years later, and he is still very shy, but very sweet. It's just his nature. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anatomae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! This helps ease my stress a lot. For the most part, things have been going well - they’re all hitting their milestones and being super friendly. It’s just when these slightly things happen that are out of my realm of experience that I worry!

Mumma cat was feeding them this morning, there was a great purr factory going on. She doesn’t do it too much anymore - the kittens seem to be almost completely reliant on cat food now!

Is the runt of the litter always born last? Atticus was the second born, but he’s always been the smallest and in the first week or so, he would often have trouble finding a nipple (he would often get pushed away by the others). Also, I woke up this morning and Atticus was racing around with his brothers and sisters, and has been hanging out with them all morning! I think he’s just quite a reserved cat. Here are a couple of pictures (Atticus is the one sitting up in the first pic):

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, the runt is not always born last. My runt out of 4 kittens was not born last, but he is now my biggest cat of all!!!

2azwildcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Those are some cute kittens! The mom is gorgeous. So sad that the original owner would not take care of it. Are you keeping mom or any of those adorable kittens?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

anatomae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sarthur2, thank you for your help! It really makes me feel more at ease. Atticus has not stopped playing and sleeping with his siblings all day!

2azwildcats, they’ve all got homes and yes, we’re keeping some. We can’t resist. Mumma cat and one kitten are going to our old flatmates’ new place (they were here until a few days ago). Two are going with me and my other flatmate. The final two are going to my coworker, who has been desperate for kittens for months! She initially said she wanted one, but when she heard we had two available she snapped them up quickly.