Aggressive licking

kittymaru

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! I have been having a problem with one of my kitties lately.

I have two cats, the oldest is named Meatball and the younger is Biscuit. Meatball is almost 10 years old, a 20 lb tuxedo. And Biscuit is about 3 years old, a stray kitty that I rescued last October. They get along well, chase each other, play, etc. Biscuit licks Meatball's head when he is sleeping, it's really cute.

But ever since I got Biscuit Meatball has been doing something that I call "aggressive licking". He will sit next to me on the couch and start licking my hand/arm. If I move to pet him he meowls at me and grabs my arm with his paws. He'll wrap his front paws around my arm and start bunny kicking my with his hind legs while licking my hand. Sometimes he starts biting my hand, he's never broken skin.. but he is 20 lbs and having a 20 lb cat wrapped around your arm is painful!

He's never really been an affectionate cat, he prefers to sleep on his old lay-z-boy during the day or up on one of his cat shelves. He used to sleep with me at night but now Biscuit does. Meatball will come in once in a while though.

I am not really sure what to do about this. I've tried getting up and ignoring him, grabbing him by the scruff, etc. I thought maybe separating them at night and having Meatball sleep with me might help. But I'm really not sure.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe try talking to him in cat language? Give a hiss and move away to another spot to sit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittymaru

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not very good at hissing! But I have tried getting up and moving to another spot, ignoring it, etc with no success. I'm not really sure what to do, I would like to be able to pet him without him grabbing my arm and chewing on it!

charlie05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat does the same type of thing. When they bite and hold on like that, and kick with their hind legs, they are essentially killing their prey. Its actually a form of play. So when he does it, move your arm and quickly throw him a kickeroo. He will grab onto that instead of your arm!

http://www.amazon.com/KONG-Kickeroo-.../dp/B001JQLKUS