Aggressive Kitten

chalkcanary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've got 2 kittens, Pip (female, about 11-12 weeks) and Peanut (male, about 10 weeks). We've had them about 6 weeks now.. They are both fixed and while not siblings, got them within a week of each other. They used to sleep together and groom each other, Pip being very gentle and sweet with him (we had to bottle feed him for awhile because he was taken from his mother a few weeks too early.)

Lately I've noticed some aggressive behavior with Peanut towards Pip and it feels like he's bullying her.

They play often together and sleep about a few feet apart fine, but the playing always gets rough. She doesn't seem afraid of him, despite the following, but she always submits.

Peanut often bites her on the neck and she screams and I think he's hurting her. Whenever they eat he goes for her food first despite having separate bowls and they both have plenty to eat. If they get any special treats he will eat his and then try to steal hers too if I don't stop him.

I know a lot of this is him asserting dominance and she always let's him but is there a way to minimize this? Is it just kitty puberty? Will it fade in time? I don't like him hurting her or trying to bully her food away. I think he likes her and they often get along well, but it's like lately he's constantly having to prove he's the alpha cat (he even tries to steal MY food as if he's entitled to it, while she begs but doesn't get aggressive). I'm not sure if I should let it play out or if there's something more I should do. I love them both dearly but sometimes he's a jerk and I want her to feel as if she's equal to him in my eyes.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
oh my god they are adorable, you've paid your cat tax for sure.

have you had kittens / cats before? one will almost always sound like they are literally dying during a fight, often play as well. So long as you're not wading through pools of blood you're likely fine. I wouldn't separate them at this stage, they have likely sibling bonded despite being unrelated, just let them work out their differences and make sure you're providing enough resources for 3 kittens at this stage so there's no arguments /resource guarding.

kittens can breed earlier than you expect so get one / both of them neutered as soon as possible.

also look forward to little bails of hair tumbleweeding across your floors when you get to 8/9 months and they are scrapping and developing adult coats.

side note: you've made me kitten broody and I low key hate you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chalkcanary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had many cats but it's always just been one at a time. This is my first time having 2 at once. They are recently spayed and neutered (

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chalkcanary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it's mostly puberty but she's so sweet I'm protective over her despite being bigger. I know he's a good boy too and love him but the stealing treats and growling (after stealing HER treats) annoys m, especially because she let's him. She deserves extra love!!!
Screenshot_20211104-105313_Photos.jpg

**GraciesMama**

New Furmama to Gracelynn
Kitten
Purraise
First off I can NOT handle the cuteness.. secondly I am giving you all the props in the world because I only have one kitten and she takes about all the love, affection, care and attention I can handle right about now. And she's going to get it one way or another lol. However I also have two toddlers too soooo yeah i'm all tapped in the love department right about now. But those two are adorable congrats on your babies! I know with my two kids close in age, my little boy (2) tends to terrorize his sister (3) and she as well just takes it. It's the female way. Cats or kids. Little girls are usually just full of love to a fault.

kissthisangel

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it's mostly puberty but she's so sweet I'm protective over her despite being bigger. I know he's a good boy too and love him but the stealing treats and growling (after stealing HER treats) annoys m, especially because she let's him. She deserves extra love!!!
yeah I still see my Charlie as "the little one" even though my parents tell me he's the bigger cat.I'm pretty blind to it and mine are 5 and 6 He will be the baby forever. Mojo cannot be described as a "Good Girl" she will routinely hunt her 'brother' for fun she will also terrorize her humans for fun. She loves attention, but simply doesn't want to play like a 'normal' cat and prefers to get up on stuff she absolutely knows she isn't meant to [stove / tv/ laptops] and it's pretty annoying because she gets plenty of chance to interact or play. She just prefers my annoyed noises and swooshy "come on!!" behavior it would seem. kudos for getting them both done as soon as you have. :salam: