Aggressive Kitten

Iraklas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. I'm having a hard time with my 8 month old cat. I had him since he was 2 months old and he showed signs of a "mean" cat from the start. He is a generally aggressive cat. He likes to do things his way and he scratches and bites in anger when we try to get him out of a situation like taking him off the kitchen table for example. He is aggressive with both humans and our other cat. We have slowly introduced him to our older cat who accepted him but the new cat never leaves him in peace. He jumps on him bitting and scratching, rolling on the floor both screaming with fur flying around. Both cats are males and they are fixed. The older cat has FIV and i'm worrying that the new one will get infected at some point and the other cat will get sick because of all the stress. New cat is not infected at the moment as we had him tested recently. We can never leave them in the same area unattended because the new cat will attack the older one. When he is done playing with all his toys he seeks for him everywhere in the house, he attacks him and all of this drama occurs. We tried many times to play with him until he is tired but after getting some rest he is up even meaner. We are frustrated and don't know what to do. We think about giving him for adoption but being such a difficult and aggressive cat we don't think that finding new humans for him will be possible. Any help please?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Iraklas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

A characteristic picture

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are right to worry. When cats are rolling around, with screaming and fur flying, its a real fight, not playing. Bite wounds are possible. In addition to FIV being an obvious huge issue, its just not a sustainable situation when cats are fighting for real.

If it wasn't for the FIV, you could try a reintroduction, but given that added complication and the fact that you *did* try a slow introduction once already, I would look into rehoming one or the other. The younger cat might be totally fine as an only cat with experienced owners.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried a consistent disciplinary plan to deter the biting? If not, it might not be impossible to start now, but a bit more difficult and longer in duration for results. But, the key word is consistency.

See if there is anything in these articles you might use for inspiration in trying to help both of your cats out.

Why Do Cats...? The Ultimate Guide To Feline Behavior

Are My Cats Fighting Or Playing?

Cat Aggression Toward People

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

You are right in being concerned about giving up for adoption; it will more than likely be unsuccessful. If you can't set up a program for him using the above articles, it would be best if you would hire a behaviorist to help with the process.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Iraklas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for the response. I have had a few cats in my life and i'm not an inexperienced cat owner. However, i have not met a "mean" cat before. I had cats that bit due to fear, territorial issues, even because of redirected aggression. All reasons understandable and manageable. However this time i feel that the situation is not manageable because the cat is not responding to anything i do and believe me i have been reading a lot and trying a lot of approaches as well. He is just a crazy super hyperactive aggressive cat. Its just part of his character. He had been at the vet at the age of 2 months and the vet i remember commenting how moody this cat was and what an attitude it had. At the age of 2 months! I only hope that this behavior gets better going into adulthood

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It might get better with age. The other thing you could consider, if you really feel you have put months and months into a consistent 're-training' program to deter his aggressiveness, would be to look into cat calming products. There are tons of them on the market, and because not all of them work with all cats, you might have to experiment.

And, after having tried several of those without success, you might consider CBD oil - if it should be legal where ever you are located. If not that, how about anti-anxiety drugs and antidepressants that act on the cat's brain to put on the behavior brakes.

See article below about aggression being one form of hyperesthesia. (Sorry I inundated you with articles.) This just might the issue with your cat??

Understanding Cat Aggression: AKA Hyperesthesia