Aggressive cat

Faizan ali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I adopted a cat in the end of April 22 and after a month she started being aggressive. She came to me pregnant bit due to stress of rehoming she lost her kittens. First time she was aggressive was when she saw another male cat from the kitchen door. She was growling at it and sitting in a hunched position. I shooed the cat away and after that she attacked me very badly and scratched my foot. She calmed down after like 20 minutes. After like 2 days she attacked again and this time without any cat nearby. In the time period of 2-3 days she attacked me and my family members like 4 times. She also showed sign of heat and became very nibbly and bity, active, meowing constantly and aggressive but affectionate as well. I took her to get spayed and she has been spayed now. Her stitches will be removed on the 1st June. My question is was this hormonal aggression and will this behaviour continue? She was very very aggressive to the vet and bit 2 people at the vets. She never becomes aggressive towards us because of my dog but other cats seem to piss her off. Will she still continue being aggressive? She's been alright till now it's been a week since she was spayed.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. A lot has gone on for her in this past month! But I suspect the aggression was because of the cat outside. She attacked you from what they called re-directed aggression- took it out on you for her dislike of that outdoor guy - which can happen with some cats. The ongoing aggression might have to do somewhat with the hormones, and that should subside as some more time passes. She could also be feeling the stress of so many things that have gone on in such a short period of time too. That also should subside as she settles in more.

But I am also wondering if this other cat is still coming around - even if you haven't seen him - and/or has sprayed outside where she can smell it. If she is attacking in the same general area of the home where she originally saw/smelled the cat, that could be your answer - although the cat could have sprayed anywhere around your home too. I would either keep her away from wherever she initially saw the cat and/or see if you can determine if he is still venturing through your yard. If the area can be hosed off where he was, you might do that too to help dissipate any urine remnants from him possibly having sprayed in that location.

Not sure what you meant by "She's been alright till now it's been a week since she was spayed." Does that mean she recently attacked again since the spaying? If not, I'd give it some more time and certainly look for that other cat.

There are cats who do not like other cats (I have one), but only time will tell if this is part of the issue.
Re-directed Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Faizan ali

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. A lot has gone on for her in this past month! But I suspect the aggression was because of the cat outside. She attacked you from what they called re-directed aggression- took it out on you for her dislike of that outdoor guy - which can happen with some cats. The ongoing aggression might have to do somewhat with the hormones, and that should subside as some more time passes. She could also be feeling the stress of so many things that have gone on in such a short period of time too. That also should subside as she settles in more.

But I am also wondering if this other cat is still coming around - even if you haven't seen him - and/or has sprayed outside where she can smell it. If she is attacking in the same general area of the home where she originally saw/smelled the cat, that could be your answer - although the cat could have sprayed anywhere around your home too. I would either keep her away from wherever she initially saw the cat and/or see if you can determine if he is still venturing through your yard. If the area can be hosed off where he was, you might do that too to help dissipate any urine remnants from him possibly having sprayed in that location.

Not sure what you meant by "She's been alright till now it's been a week since she was spayed." Does that mean she recently attacked again since the spaying? If not, I'd give it some more time and certainly look for that other cat.

There are cats who do not like other cats (I have one), but only time will tell if this is part of the issue.
Re-directed Aggression In Cats – TheCatSite Articles
She has not attacked us after being spayed except at the vets clinic but that was because she was very stressed because of so many other animals. We wash our porch and hallways quite often and she did not attack at that place. It was always outside our room and once inside it when I tried to pick her up (to brush her). This all happened before she was spayed.