Aggressive Cat

livkkelly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi this is sorta long but here goes
I’ve had a cat for about 8 years, and I’ve had her since birth. She tends to get very stressed when i go away for long as she has bonded to me. however, approximately 2 months ago i got another kitten. Last month i moved away from home with the kitten as I was unable to bring my older cat with me at first. I brought my cat to my new home yesterday and she has been hiding under the bed and aggressively growling at not only he kitten but me too, even hissing. My cat has NEVER had any aggression problems before, she’s always been an extremely sweet cat and has never done any of this before. My kitten is a bit of a bully however and tends to stare at her and hiss where she’s hiding and block her from her litter box and my older cat has been under the bed just constantly growling. Please help as I really do not know what to do

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Your older cat has had a lot of changes in a short time - you moving away without her, she moving to a new home, and now having an expected new little feline sibling.

Those are all things that can cause stress in a cat, as per the following article:
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist

And here's Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats which might be helpful.

First off, though, you need to separate the 2 cats into different rooms, each with their own litter box, food, water and toys, and do a slow re-introduction. Here are some more articles, these ones on introducing cats.

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat

Good luck. I hope things work out.