Aggressive Cat Who Normally Isn't

Awl20

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat was spooked by something then started chasing after their sister. They ran into a side table and the table fell, thankfully without hitting them. The spooked cat immediately became aggressive and is hissing and growling at the other cat and me. We had to separate her to keep the other cat safe. I'm at a loss of what to do.... she has never done this before and is never aggressive...what do I do now??

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Give them time. Keep them separated for a bit. Go in with the spooked cat and talk gently, offer favorite treats, gentle pats if she will allow it, etc. She is just really scared!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Awl20

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I read this could go on for days. Is that true?

Awl20

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This all happened last evening and continued into this morning where she is still very agitated
We have her in another room where she can't hurt our other cat. But she is whining to get out. When I come in to check on her she goes back to agitation

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I've personally never had it last for more than a few hours but it was scent aggression (cat went to the vet and smelled different). Maybe try a slow reintroduction? She may associate your other cat with the scary loud noise.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had this happen once - Barry ran into/over Duncan, and Duncan got pissed. I broke it up quickly with treats. Give them a day or two, sit with her for a while and baby talk her for a while and they should go fine.

Awl20

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had this happen once - Barry ran into/over Duncan, and Duncan got pissed. I broke it up quickly with treats. Give them a day or two, sit with her for a while and baby talk her for a while and they should go fine.
I think she associates me and my other cat with the noise. I'm trying to reintroduce myself too.
I know I sound probably dramatic but they're like kids to me. It just makes me sad she us so distressed