Aggressive cat, but I don't want to give him up. :(

espoir

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I currently have 4 cats living with me. Amber who is a female and 3 years old (not fixed), Haze who is a fixed male and 5 years old, and Buttons and Plunk who are also fixed males and are both 13. The issue I'm having is with Haze. He's starting to become extremely aggressive. Sometimes he'll be fine around them, and other times he'll lash out at them. He seems to lash out more at Buttons and Plunk than anything. Amber will go up to see Haze, and he'll lick her and play with her for a bit. But then he'll turn on her randomly and swipe at her, or jump her. She thinks it's playing though, but I feel it's a bit too aggressive and she does meow in pain a few times.

Haze has bitten and wounded both Plunk and Buttons on several occasions. Recently, Plunk had to have surgery because Haze bit him on the back of his tail and caused it to abscess. It was so bad that if we didn't get Plunk any surgery, the wound would have grown bigger and attracted flies and maggots. The skin around the wound was completely dead. Plunk had surgery to have the abscess repaired, and he now has a tube in his tail to drain his wound as well as some stitches. But Haze is still attacking him. Haze went for him today, and Plunk's wound started to bleed. When I went to tend to it, I saw 4 more teeth marks above his stitches. I then heard Buttons meow and Haze had attacked him. I went to Haze to pick him up and put him in the bathroom for a time out, and as I went to put him down, he clamped on to my arm really hard and gave me 2 deep bite wounds. It's not the first time he's done this either -- turning on me or anyone else. My Dad was over after to check out Plunk's wound for me, and he went to the bathroom to get something to clean it with, and Haze hissed at him. He had to push him away with a towel bin to make sure Haze didn't attack him.

When Haze goes for Buttons, he usually pins him down by the neck and holds him there. I'm starting to become afraid for Buttons. If Haze can cause Plunk this much damage, what were to happen if Haze clamps down on Buttons neck and hits an artery?

I'm afraid for my older cats. They don't roam the house as much anymore. Buttons still does every now and then, but he'll run away as soon as he sees Haze. Plunk will either hide in the bedroom day and night, or stick by me and lay down beside me. But he absolutely will not walk around our place by himself whatsoever.

Haze also behaves differently depending on the cat he's getting ready to attack. When Haze sees Buttons, he jumps him right away. When Haze sees Plunk, he starts to slowly walk towards him while his tail gets bushy and his ears go back, then he tilts his head to the side and licks his lips. If I catch him doing this and try to move him away, he'll hiss at me or attack me. It's like he turns into a completely different cat.

My friends and family have been telling me that it's time to surrender Haze. It's a really hard decision for me, because I've had him since the day he was born. We found his mother outside during the winter, so we took her inside and she gave birth to only him. He is a lot like his mother though, since we had to give her up due to her aggressive behavior. She was attacking our other cats, and sometimes she'd be purring with us and then turn around and attack us -- much like Haze is doing.

I'm not sure what to do from here. I love Haze to death, but I love my other cats as well and I can't afford to keep bringing them to the vet every time Haze wounds them. It's also not fair for them to be living in such fear. I've tried separating Haze from them when I'm gone, but I work a 12 hour shift 3 days in a row and it's also not fair to Haze to be locked up for all of that time on a regular basis.

Have any of you experienced this before? Is there anything I can do to change his behavior? I want to make sure that I've done absolutely everything I can before giving him up. Another reason I'm so reluctant to give him up is because he's an extremely nervous cat. If anyone new comes around, he'll run and hide behind the couch and shake until the person leaves. If I put him out in the hallway or take him outside, or to the vet, he'll shake and cry non-stop and do his best to escape and run back home.

Is there anything I can do? Anything at all?

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi there!! :wavey:

First thing: Has Haze been to the vet lately for a checkup? He could be in a lot of pain from something simple you haven't noticed, like a tooth problem. Cats are masters at hiding pain, but they can still let it show through grumpiness and aggression.

Second: I know your other cats are fixed, but you should get Amber spayed as soon as it's convenient. The hormones she has will still make your male cats aggressive and attempt to show dominance over each other, which can result in nasty fights, as you've seen.

Another option after the spay is a Feliway plug-in. It's a synthetic hormone diffuser that plugs into the wall like an air freshener. It's odorless to us, but it sounds out "happy cat" scents to your cats and can really make a difference in behavior.

Another thing to consider is redirected aggression. Here are some links about that: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/22301/have-a-behavior-problem-look-here-first and http://www.thecatsite.com/t/20837/ouch-how-to-stop-cat-aggression-toward-people

Good luck, and keep us updated!!! :wavey:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, first determine what "giving him up" means. Unless you have a friend who's just dying to take on an aggressive cat, I assume you mean you'd take him to a shelter. Which would be an automatic death sentence because they aren't allowed to adopt out animals with bite histories. If thinking about a private adoption--- it's hard enough to adopt out friendly kittens, placing friendly adults is very hard, placing aggressive adults is impossible. It would be kinder to have him put to sleep by your own vet than for him to die alone and scared with strangers in a shelter. So that's the perspective. . .is it bad enough he should die for it?

Now, hormones can do super weird things to cat relationships. He may be "guarding" the female from the other males, or is otherwise reacting to the female. Does it seem worse or better when she's in heat? Is there any particular reason she's not spayed? For her own health you might want to consider it, and it might help Haze as well.

Also, I re-read your post and saw that this is fairly new behavior. Even though it stresses him, I recommend a full checkup, bloodwork and everything. Behavioral changes can be signs of a health problem.

Does he mind being confined? If not, there's no reason to think of confining him as being unfair. I have a cat who lives in the bedroom, and she likes it that way. Personally, I would confine either him or the 2 older cats (or rotate--the older cats one day, him the next, etc.) whenever you aren't around. I think Feliway, calming collars, and Bach flower remedies are worth a try. Most cat aggression is caused by stress, so anything you can do to reduce stress would be good. And how often do you play with him (long-distance stuff like fishing pole toys and laser lights, of course!)? He may have some pent-up energy going on.

If his health checks out and the non-prescription remedies don't help, you might consider prescription anti-anxiety meds. Better than getting rid of him anyway.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

espoir

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The last time he's been to the vet was a few days before Christmas. He had swallowed some garland and needed to have it removed or else he would have died. :( Other than that, he hasn't had a check up recently. He's still eating, drinking, playing and etc. He was always aggressive before Amber came along as well. But he's been more aggressive lately so maybe getting her fixed will help.

I'll try all of those things! I really don't want to have to give up any of my kitties unless I have no choice. :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

espoir

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been told to post an Ad online and see if anyone will take him, or surrender him to the SPCA. I don't want to do neither. My boyfriend is getting tired of always having to break up the cat fights or having to take a cat to the vet for a wound and etc so he's also pushing me to get rid of Haze. But I really don't want to. :(

He's been this way since my boyfriend and I moved out together. Haze was born into our home with Buttons and Plunk around. When I moved out on my own, I took Buttons and Haze with me. Haze started attacking Buttons around then. Plunk was given to me a few months ago since he's diabetic and my mom wanted to put him down instead of help him. So, I took him in to help him. And since then, Haze has been more aggressive. Amber actually stalks Plunk with Haze.

He minds being confined, but Buttons and Plunk don't. Plunk has a little cubbie he sleeps in and Buttons sleeps on the bed. I could always rotate. When I'm home, I let them all out since I can watch but sometimes when I'm not looking, Haze will lash out.

None of the cats are played with much. Buttons and Plunk don't bother. Amber and Haze are still playful and full of spunk. But I work 12 hour shifts so I'm always gone and not around to play much, so I figured having 4 cats together would have helped but it's not working out that way. I've been trying to play with Haze more often. He loves chasing string or playing with a marker over a chair. I'll try and tire him out as best I can but it doesn't help much.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Before doing anything, get a vet check, have your one unspayed female spayed, and invest in some Feliway and possibly some of the calming agents from Spirit Essences.  http://www.spiritessences.com/

Do you have a cat tree?  It could be that there are some dominance issues.  How much time do you spend playing with them?  What kind of toys do you have for them?  What are you feeding them?  It could be food related.

Also, you might want to post your question in the Expert Forum http://www.thecatsite.com/f/5803/cat-behavior-with-pam-johnson-bennett since she is a behavior expert. 

catmom88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!  I'm glad you're looking for solutions before giving Haze up.

I can tell you that when I adopted my siamese mix in 2004, she was immediately attached to me before I even brought her home.  When I did get her home she was livid to find out I had another cat and she had to share me.  That was NOT acceptable to her, but my 11 year old fixed male was king of the roost so I had to figure it out.

I ended up putting her in a room by herself for a couple of days with food, water and her own litter box, and I literally talked to her everyday and let he know that if she wanted to stay with me the ground rules included sharing the space with the other cat.  I give her pet time and attention everyday, but I told her daily that if she wanted to come out of isolation she had to get along.  That worked.  Cats are truly intelligent.  Like people, some not so much, but I found talking to the cat and explaining what is going on, and what is needed of them helps. 

After that, I agree with the other poster about making sure the cat is not in pain, or just grumpy from a UTI or thyroid problem or other health issue.  When my male cat was not well he wouldn't tolerate the other cat coming near him.  The other thing is dental pain.  Some cats have teeth going bad and it's hard to see in their mouths.  Turned out my male had a tooth rotting out and I didn't know till I took him to the vet.  He didn't even have bad breath.  Once fixed he was way happier.

I wish you the best of luck with him.