Aggressive Cat Behavior Towards Me...possibly Heat-related

Drdr88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. I am a new cat owner of approximately one month. I adopted Titan from the local SPCA at one year old, and he is neutered.

Lately he has been acting aggressively towards me. I understand it is "common" for a cat to bite suddenly during a petting session, but he actually rarely does that. Instead, Titan will lay next to me and we will be minding our own business -- then, without petting or making any physical contact, I will quietly talk to him and make "conversation." At this point he starts meowing rather aggressively and eventually he will strike at me. It is so unusual because he basically initiates being aggressive with my voice as a prompt, as opposed to physical contact.

Some additional info: the past few days it has been over 80 degrees F in my apartment. I have all windows open and fans for him, and I notice he will sprawl out on the floor upside down and often stretch his body. Perhaps this is heat aggression which is somehow prompted by my voice? The only other notable change is that I'm transitioning him to new cat food. Aside from those two things, he's a one year old boy and I'm training him and I'm being accepting overall towards adolescent aggression, but I must say, this particular aggression he's displaying is making me second guess this adoption...if only because he will strike on his own will while we are quietly laying together. Very stressful, indeed.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't really understand why he's lashing out at you. I don't think the heat has anything to do with it - the stretching out is a normal way for cats to release body heat. Most will also go lie on tiles or even the bathroom sink to cool off.

The obvious way to get him to stop striking out at you is to stop talking to him, as you know this will trigger the aggression. Also, get a wand-type toy if you don't have one and play with him with that to get rid of some of his energy. At one year, he is still very much a kitten and has lots of energy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Drdr88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I find it disappointing that my voice could trigger such aggression. Is this common at all?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of it before, but cats are full of surprises. There could also be a neurological situation that causes your voice to overstimulate him. But I would give it some time before I took him to the vet to get that treated. Try other things first.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of it before, but cats are full of surprises. There could also be a neurological situation that causes your voice to overstimulate him. But I would give it some time before I took him to the vet to get that treated. Try other things first.

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is this a new behavior that just started or has he been doing it the whole time you've had him?
When my shelter dog's behavior changed a few months after I adopted him I called the shelter and asked if they knew any more information about his prior history and about his behavior while he was there. They had a behaviorist so gave me a free assessment session with him and some recommendations since he had started getting aggressive with strange men and other dogs at the dog park.
Maybe the new food isn't helping. I'd also call a vet and ask about the behavior and the food. Could be a coincidence but it is the only other change. If the shelter doesn't have any helpful ideas I'd get him physically checked out. Lots of medical problems can cause aggression especially if it's a change in behavior. He could be in pain somewhere. In dogs tick diseases and thyroid problems can cause aggression, I don't know if they cause it in cats though. My older cat got aggressive when he suddenly went deaf. ANY number of things could cause it.