Aggressive Behavior Towards Only One Of My Cats

imatwyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have five cats, three of them, Pooter, Charlie, and Kitty Girl, were in my home for several years before I took in two stray cats, Lucien and Buddy. Lucien, absolutely does not seem to like Charlie. Charlie can be walking past Lucien minding his own business and Lucien will attack him, it happens all of the time. I don’t know if it makes the difference, but both cats are black. I don’t know what to do to correct it. I feel bad for Charlie because he was in my home way before Lucien and he’s having this happen to him. Charlie is the only one Lucien acts aggressive towards, but Lucien keeps to himself and doesn’t cuddle or show any kind of affection to any of the cats. I suppose, Lucien has trust issues.
Does anyone have any advice on how to correct this issue?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

First, this might possibly help Lucien regarding his stand-offishness (if that's a word LOL). I'm thinking if you can get him to feel more inclined to be friendly to people (assuming he's not) then he might relax a bit more around the cats. He's spayed, by the way?
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me

I'm not necessarily suggesting that this is redirected aggression, but I was wondering if maybe a method to address that, might work here in your situation?

For instance, along with the scent swapping mentioned in the article, maybe also take a soft cloth and gently wipe it on Charlie, and then wipe Lucien. Do this with a "fresh" cloth repeatedly, over at least a weeks worth of days.

How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats

In addition, you could try low volume classical harp music, there is an app called Relax My Cat, there is MusicForCats.com and also George Handel compositions are known to help a cat to relax.

Also, since there are cats who aren't affected by feliway at all and sometimes it will even make things worse, you could try one of these;
Quiet Moments Cat treats, there is Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has a calming product, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.
Also Thunderease has diffusers as does Sentry.
You might want to check with your vet, but some people have good results with CBD oil, plus there are vet-prescribed calming products too.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, drsfostersmith, animaleo.

There is a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. It also could help in the introduction phase where you're having them eat near to one another;
The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This discussion's post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long ago did the newcomers join the family? Are all the cats neutered/spayed?