Aggressive Behavior. Help.

HumanWithCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just signed up here and I'm not quite sure how this site works but I need some help. I've had cats all my life and I've learned as much as I can about their behavior and such, I just haven't dealt with this situation before. Okay so my mom recently bought a rescue kitten home, and we have several cats already. Its been a few weeks and one of our cats really took to the kitten. She's become very aggressive to one of the other cats, and now that cat keeps to herself and will not leave a certain area. Not even to use the litter box and eat (so ive given her seperate food and water bowls). They get in fights all the time, and its getting pretty bad. My cats dont have any problem with the kitten though, just with each other. Any advice?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry it's aggressive cat behaviour that brought you here. :alright:

Are the 2 adult females spayed? Have either of them had kittens, particularly the one who's become aggressive? How old is the kitten?

I'm wondering if possibly the aggressive cat is feeling a protective, maternal instinct towards the kitten, and that's why she's reacting aggressively towards the other cat.

Is it possible to separate the 2 cats that aren't getting along, and do a re-introduction? Sometimes cats become aggressive towards another cat when something scares them, or even when one goes to the vet and comes home smelling differently.

Here's some TCS articles that might have some helpful suggestions for you.

Re-directed Aggression In Cats
How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats
Why Do Cats Attack?
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow! That is quite a dynamic that you have going on. In a way, it is a good thing that the one cat is taken up with the kitten; it is possible that the bullied cat had growled or showed some sort of aggression and now "big sister" has that cat's "number". I am glad that you have provided separate dishes for the bullied cat. I would definitely try to give the bullied cat their own litter box in a different area as well. For confidence building, you can try giving extra attention to the bullied cat and try teaching it tricks. And more interactive play time with all the kitties often helps relieve the pent up stress that the whole clowder is likely feeling about the situation. Please keep us posted on what you tried and whether or not it works!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HumanWithCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry it's aggressive cat behaviour that brought you here. :alright:

Are the 2 adult females spayed? Have either of them had kittens, particularly the one who's become aggressive? How old is the kitten?

I'm wondering if possibly the aggressive cat is feeling a protective, maternal instinct towards the kitten, and that's why she's reacting aggressively towards the other cat.

Is it possible to separate the 2 cats that aren't getting along, and do a re-introduction? Sometimes cats become aggressive towards another cat when something scares them, or even when one goes to the vet and comes home smelling differently.

Here's some TCS articles that might have some helpful suggestions for you.

Re-directed Aggression In Cats
How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats
Why Do Cats Attack?
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
Thank you so much! I'll check out those articles and follow the advice.

The two females are not spayed, unfortunately. The kitten is about 12 weeks old now. The aggressive cat has never had kittens, but the one who's being bullied had one litter a few years ago.

I can separate them, but it's a tad bit difficult with having other cats in the home as well. I kept them separate last night, and the bullied one still wouldn't stray from her area, which is my bed and dresser. A while after the door was opened this morning (for the kitten), the aggressive cat tried attacking again. So, how long do you think I should separate them?

Again, thank you so much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HumanWithCats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow! That is quite a dynamic that you have going on. In a way, it is a good thing that the one cat is taken up with the kitten; it is possible that the bullied cat had growled or showed some sort of aggression and now "big sister" has that cat's "number". I am glad that you have provided separate dishes for the bullied cat. I would definitely try to give the bullied cat their own litter box in a different area as well. For confidence building, you can try giving extra attention to the bullied cat and try teaching it tricks. And more interactive play time with all the kitties often helps relieve the pent up stress that the whole clowder is likely feeling about the situation. Please keep us posted on what you tried and whether or not it works!

Thank you!

Yes, the bullied cat growled at the kitten a few weeks ago and now the aggressive one hasn't left her alone since. Her area is mostly my bed and dresser, and when I try to remove her from the space to simply put her on the floor or in a litter box, she growls (even when the aggressive cat is not around) and races back to the bed.

I've been giving her extra attention, but I didn't think about teaching her tricks! She loves playing, so I'll give that a try!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's possible that hormones are affecting her behavior, especially since neither cat is spayed, and there's a new kitten involved. I think getting them spayed would be a good first step. It's not healthy for a cat to keep having heat after heat, or having multiple litters of kittens. Getting females spayed also prevents some reproductive illnesses, which can become life threatening. Here's an TCS article with more info: Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats
Plus a thread with info on Pyometra - Don't Joke Around

About the current aggression, separating them and re-introducing them might work. As for how long, it's impossible to say, but more than an hour or so.

You could also try calming treats, as some members find that helpful.

But again, speak to your Mom about getting the females spayed. If cost is a concern, there are some links in this thread that might be helpful:
No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life