aggression towards new cat from one of the resident cats

saudades

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi y'all. we are having some issues that began when we took in a cat we found. between just one of the resident cats (nanners) and the new cat (tater tot). we had them separated for about a week (maybe a little less? can't remember exactly). we kept tater tot in another room with toys, water, a window, scratching box, liter box, etc. she was so happy and making muffins everywhere and rolling around. after we took her to the vet and made sure it was okay for her to be around the other cats, we introduced them. we had them trade off spaces a bit before introducing them as well.

when we introduced them, she was a little hesitant - they all seemed curious, of course, but nanners become more and more aggressive. we have been interfering with loud noises/water bottle, playing with them together (separate toys, same room - wet food 5 or so feet apart) - just trying to create positive associations. we decided to try re-introducing them.

so back in the room tater tot went for about 5 days. we fed them at the same time close to the door (door staying closed). we did more space trading. this morning, we re-introduced them, and nanners went right after tater tot. it doesn't matter how much we spray her. it will make her stop attacking tater tot in that moment, but then she's back at stalking her again a few minutes later before pouncing. i'm scared she is associating bad things with tater tot because she keeps getting sprayed, but i don't know what else to do. i don't want them to hurt one another.

now tater tot doesn't seem to trust the other cat (monkey) - she hisses every time monkey walks by but doesn't swipe or attack him. poor monkey is just stuck in the middle and doesn't react thankfully. and tater tot doesn't seem happy anymore, and i am feeling guilty. i feel like we took her in to give her a better life, but now she is just scared and keeps meowing at the windows.

should we separate them again but for longer? tater tot seems really comfortable all over the house now (supervised - when we are keeping nanners at bay) and doesn't seem happy to be back inside the room even though we are trying to make it a nice place for her. is there anything else we can do? it seems like when we separated them again, nanners' aggression was just worse when we re-introduced tater tot. in case it isn't clear and is important info - nanners and tater tot are both spayed females between 2-5 years old, monkey is a neutered male who is about 7-8 years old. thanks for any feedback.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi @saudades...I'm hoping that things have gotten a little better since you posted, and that resident cat Nanners is getting used to having a new cat Tater Tot, in her territory.

It's very hard doing 'cat-to-cat' introductions, because each step is done slowly over weeks, and even months, until both cats, and in your case...all three cats are so comfortable with each other's sound, scent, and sight,...that when the actual meeting occurs, ..it's more of a 'hey, I knew you were here, but I'm so used to you, that it doesn't matter.'

It sounds like you have been following the steps, although the initial meeting was a little fast.

This Article may be helpful in reading.  [article="32680"]How To Successfully Introduce Cats The Ultimate Guide​[/article]  

You are right about Nanners, now associating the water bottle spray with negative things surrounding Tater Tot, and it is not advised to use spray bottles because of the potential for creating fear and more heightened aggression in cats. (Having said that, I am guilty of using the water spray bottle myself, when I had to get a kitten to quickly stop biting a senior dog's tail. It seemed the fastest method, and did work, in my case, but from reading other advice and stories, I can see how cats can get truly frightened and then their fear just makes matters worse.) In Nanners case, it does seem that it gets her angrier, annoyed and aggressive, so now I can understand why people advise to avoid the water spray method.
  • 'Harness Training' Nanners, might help, and that way, you'd have more control over stopping Nanners from trying to pounce, and fight with Tater Tot.
  • Having many vertical surfaces, cat-trees, tables, bookshelves, and escape routes for all the cats, so that no cat feels cornered and can escape to a higher place, and rest, is also good.
  • Positive distractions with playing, with each cat, and getting them tired out, before any potential meetings, is good.
  • and food treats are also good, for both distraction and rewarding positive reactions.
  • Monkey might be your go-between. If you can get him and Tater Tot to play in the same room together, while Nanners watches, then she may calm down further. The cats don't have to play with each other, just be in the same room, playing with you.
Separating and starting from the beginning would help with longer periods of time being given to each stage, until all the cats are used to each other.

More scent swapping with cat beds, blankets, toys...and watching each cat's reaction to the items.

But I do understand that you worry about Nanners becoming more aggressive after the second re-introductions, except the goal is to get Nanners to minimally react to any cat in her presence.

Do you remember how Nanners and Monkey were introduced?

And can you use any of those methods, now.

Monkey, being the laid back cat, might actually help both Tater Tot and Nanners, in attempting to share their territory, together.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saudades

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
first of all, thank you so much for your reply. i was becoming a bit discouraged because i have posted in many places online about this with no response. it may sound silly/dramatic, but i have been very upset and distressed over this.

monkey and nanners were introduced after only a few days. monkey is very easy going and wants to be everyone's friend. poor thing - i hope he isn't too stressed out right now. nanners was kind of hissy and fiesty at first, but she was significantly smaller than monkey, so maybe that is why they didn't really fight?

i really, really like the harness idea a lot. i agree that we may have rushed things. i like the way you put it - that their scent, sound, and sight would seem so familiar that nanners would be more like "meh, it's just that cat tater tot". we built a shelf for monkey (he seems to be a tree dweller), but it's only in the living room. i think a cat tree or two may be a  good idea. more escape routes. tater tot has a habit of putting herself under things/in corners and becomes a very easy target to attack. i have had a lot of luck using the laser pointer as a distraction for nanners instead of the water bottle. we have been keeping them separated except for eating wet food (which we do with them all together and supervised). i think we will just take it a bit slower now.

thank you for your suggestions and resources. it is very encouraging, and i think we all in the house needed it.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey @saudades...you are very welcome. I  think the online community here is very good, but sometimes posts get missed, because of just not seeing them, or people might see them but not know what to say. And when many things have been tried, they might wait for others to reply, hoping that they have more experience with the issue.

(I have to say that my experience before joining TCS in cat introductions was really bad. I didn't know that there was a certain 'slow procedure' to follow. I would introduce cats and just wonder..."how come you're staying under the bed so long? Or why can't you guys just get along, and stop aggravating each other?" I think I was clueless, until I read Articles, and posts online, and then began to understand the reason why 'cat introductions' have to be done slowly and in stages.)

And no, it does not sound silly or dramatic that you've been upset and distressed over these cat introductions. Seeing our cats fighting, and not getting along is very stressful.

Trying to do the opposite and staying calm, is what you are going to want to do, because our cats pick up on our emotions.

Ahh, yes, it makes sense that if Monkey and Nanners' first intros were fast and short, then you'd expect all intros to be this way. (I did with my cats, too.)

Yes, it could have been the size difference, or even because Monkey was so laid back, that they both didn't really fight.

'Cat hisses' are not always such a bad thing, though. It's a cat's way of communicating.

Sometimes it's "back off'..."I'm not feeling confident, right now...so just leave me alone", or "you just startled me".

As long as the 'hiss' is not followed with laid back ears, growls, loud vocalizations, and swatting with claws out, and then scratches, fur flying, and actual cat fights...then hisses may actually just be minor feelings of displeasure. Try to notice when Tater Tot hisses, and is it a 're-directed' type of situation, or is it just an automatic defence mechanism. She's probably picking up from Nanners, and may be trying to establish dominance and her place in the house.

So great to hear that you are able to 'distract' Nanners, with the laser pointer. This tells me, that if distraction works, then you'll eventually be able to distract her with 'hand clapping' and saying 'hey, hey,...none of that'...or whatever you think appropriate. If Nanners just lessens her aggression and does not always chase and can be distracted, then that is a very good thing.

I do hope that over enough time, Nanners will be like, "meh it's just that cat tater tot".
(I like that 'meh' expression.)

Here's some more resources that talk about cat behaviour:  [thread="248993"]Tcs Cat Behavior Resources Articles And Important Threads​[/thread]  

They are in the 'blue sticky section' on the top of the Behaviour section, and also in the Articles section of the TCS (the Cat Site). I like the fact that they are short, and trigger new ideas.

One of the previous advisors named 'Feralvr' talked about a lady named Pam Johnson-Bennett in one of her posts, so some of the things about 'scent association' come from reading her website.

It's quite interesting to read. http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/?s=cat+introductions  ...so trying different methods may also help.

If you ever have the time, you can post photos of your cats, here, or in "New Cats on the Block".  Seeing cats along with their names, is always fun. Good Luck to you and your fur gang.   

Last edited: