Aggression towards kitten...

DaniCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 1 year old male is one week post op from his neuter. He is separated from his 4 month old intact sister. This morning they got to each other and I felt he was super aggressive with her, even more so than before his neuter. His ears were pinned, he chased her like crazy and kept wrestling her to the ground with her head in his jaw and scratching with his back claws. It was very rough and hard to watch. He was relentless and had that crazy look in his eye. Prior to the surgery she would charge him back and playfully attack back but this time she more or less just ran and hid.

I understand it takes a few weeks for the hormones to subside. I guess I am just concerned that his behavior seems even more aggressive now after the surgery.

Perhaps his hormones are surging and still out whack one week post op...? Maybe there is a lot of tension built up from being completely separated?

The vet said after two weeks they can be together. If he stills shows this type of behavior though should I be having them together?

Thanks again in advance for any advice. Praying these two get along. I would be devastated if they didn’t.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Let his hormones settle - I have heard it can take several weeks. And, get her spayed. She is reaching sexual maturity and that is probably not helping matters any. The separation might be adding to the equation. Once his hormones are gone and she is spayed, if there still appears to be an issue, a re-introduction of sorts might be needed.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One year old is peak crazy is all. There are tons and tons of posts here about one year olds playing what looks like too roughly with kittens. The kittens never actually get hurt, but they are made uncomfortable at times, so they will run and hide, hiss or growly. But they come right back in 5 minutes and act like nothing happened, initiate play at times. Thats how you know all is well.

Additionally, perhaps there is an extra element of stir crazyness from the surgery, if you had him isolated or wearing the cone. But mostly just a one year old being stupid over enthusiastic I expect -- thats what they do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DaniCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One year old is peak crazy is all. There are tons and tons of posts here about one year olds playing what looks like too roughly with kittens. The kittens never actually get hurt, but they are made uncomfortable at times, so they will run and hide, hiss or growly. But they come right back in 5 minutes and act like nothing happened, initiate play at times. Thats how you know all is well.

Additionally, perhaps there is an extra element of stir crazyness from the surgery, if you had him isolated or wearing the cone. But mostly just a one year old being stupid over enthusiastic I expect -- thats what they do.
Thanks for the reassurance and feedback. She does love being around him and ALWAYS comes back for more so I suspect you are right and that all will be well in time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DaniCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Let his hormones settle - I have heard it can take several weeks. And, get her spayed. She is reaching sexual maturity and that is probably not helping matters any. The separation might be adding to the equation. Once his hormones are gone and she is spayed, if there still appears to be an issue, a re-introduction of sorts might be needed.
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it. :)