Aggression from Willow after Tigger went to the vet

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Willow's hissing at Tigger's smell today, Tigger's been to the vet, Willow's hissing and swiping towards me as well (claws sheathed, though) if I fuss Tigger then go to fuss Willow, she's never swiped at me before over fussing Tigger, even when Tigger's been to the vet

Could some of it be that the vet had to take Tigger to the back area to have a good look at her eye with some equipment, so as a result Tigger's got a very scary smell on her and its not had chance to wear off yet?

Willow isn't seeking Tigger out to do aggression, she's avoiding her, the swiping is if Tigger approaches, or if I fuss Tigger then go to fuss Willow

dmb216

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am currently dealing with my own cat aggression issues and have therefore read through A LOT of threads on TCS. I see non recognition aggression mentioned often and it seems like the best solution is typically to separate them for a bit and then things get back to normal.

Here is an article on non recognition aggression

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It does sound like non-recognition aggression, which does often happen when one cat goes to the vet and comes homes smelling different.

How are things today, tiggerwillow tiggerwillow ? In addition to tips in the TCS article, there's also the Ode to vanilla extract idea which might help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Willow's still a bit jumpy and suspicious, its not helped the fact that the bin lorry has been round emptying all the bins and they had to sound their horn to get a stupid white van driver to shift cause he was blocking the road with his van, the bin lorry could not get past - neither could cars!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor Willow. Hope her stress level calms down soon.

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
she's a bit suspicious of smells on me today

i been at work and she needed to make sure i hadn't been at the vets

she's eaten dinner and is currently on my lap wanting some of my chilli con carne (not letting her have any, not sure whats attracted her in it)

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried feliway?
Or maybe tall to the vet to see if youbcould put her on something to bring her anxiety/stress level down when needed like times you have to take Tigger to the vet Willow could have it then and just for a couple days after so she isn't stressed

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've got a feliway plug in thing somewhere, haven't used it for a long time cause it keeps getting hot to the point that I'm worried its going to start a fire if I leave it plugged in for long periods of time

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've got a feliway plug in thing somewhere, haven't used it for a long time cause it keeps getting hot to the point that I'm worried its going to start a fire if I leave it plugged in for long periods of time
Oh wow... I wouldn't use it either.. let that thing stay wherever it is lol
What about the feliway spray? You could spray it on cat beds furniture wherever they are usually.. would that be an option for you?

jessica smith

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Totally normal for my cats, its just "stranger danger" not recognizing the different smell of the cat that went to the vet. The stink of a stranger cat was likely transferred, and they get hissy in response acting like they don't know each other. Two microfibers usually fixes it, or just time. One moist warm microfiber I wipe the cat that went to the vet down with, then for drying I use a dry microfiber that I rubbed all over the other cat's cheeks and body to get the scent, seems to do the trick and they go back to cuddling that evening (always sleep together).