Aggression After Spot On Medication

Redfraggle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,
I'm new here, and I hope you don't mind me asking a question. I rescued my cat, an ex stray, in March, and the vet says he's around four years old. He settled in really quickly and while he's not a lap cat, he enjoys having his head scratched and his chin tickled. Anyway, I had to give him his three-month worming treatment yesterday, and it was a spot on medicine. When I put it on his skin I think it must have burned a little. There's no fur coming off, but he's now terrified of my hands, and if I go to rub his head he either hisses and scratches or runs away. I feel awful because he can't understand why I had to do it, and I'm worried I've ruined the trust I've built up over the last six months. He let me touch his head first thing the morning when he was just waking up, but later on after that he remembered what had happened and started hissing and scratching again when I approched him. So for now I'm giving him his space and letting him come to me if he wants to, but I am worried he won't trust me again. Does anyone else have similar experiences? I would be hugely grateful for any advice on how to help him!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, welcome to TCS, and you may ask as many questions as you have regarding cats at any time! That's why we are here, to both give and receive help from each other!

It may take a little time, but I think he will begin to trust you again. Cat's don't generally carry grudges (with the exception of extreme abusers), but since he was just starting to really settle in, he needs to stand back and reassess the situation. It won't take long for him to realize that all is well, and that your hands are still safe to be on him.

Take a deep breath, and try very hard not to stress over this, because he WILL pick up on your stress!

Keep me posted on this, please. I want to know how you two are doing. OH, and when you have a minute, click on this link New Cats on the Block and introduce yourself and your cat (what is his name?) to the community!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Redfraggle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your response, and for the reassurance, it's a massive help! We've already had a bit of a breakthrough this evening - he jumped up on the sofa with me and asked me to tickle his chin, so while he's still wary about his head being touched he's definitely been thinking about it all. I'll keep you posted on his progress for sure!
I will definitely head to that link and introduce him to everyone. His name is Frank (I named him after a Tom Waits song called Frank's Wild Years, because he had a rough start in life). He is wonderful.
Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awwwww! I'm so happy that things are already improving! Tell Frank to relax and enjoy the good life! He earned it.

Redfraggle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww, thank you! It'll take some patience but he'll get there.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Just curious. I thought worming was always done via pills or liquids. Did you mean 3 month flea treatment?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted a 4 month old feral kitten in February because she was fearful but not the least bit aggressive. The only time she showed any aggression was the day I put a spot-on flea treatment on her. There must be something about the odor, or maybe it does sting. Anyway I think she would have attacked me if I had needed to put more on her than what I did. She was extra skittish for a day or two, running from me, but she did get over it fairly quickly. She got back to normal.

I think you and your kitty will be ok.

Redfraggle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just curious. I thought worming was always done via pills or liquids. Did you mean 3 month flea treatment?
No, he has his flea treatment every month, this was for parasites. The vet gave it to me because he doesn't like pills, but I think they're going to have to be the only option going ahead.

Redfraggle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a 4 month old feral kitten in February because she was fearful but not the least bit aggressive. The only time she showed any aggression was the day I put a spot-on flea treatment on her. There must be something about the odor, or maybe it does sting. Anyway I think she would have attacked me if I had needed to put more on her than what I did. She was extra skittish for a day or two, running from me, but she did get over it fairly quickly. She got back to normal.

I think you and your kitty will be ok.
That sounds exactly the same, thank you for letting me know. He seems to be a lot better today, so I'm panicking less now!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We have all been there, to some degree or another. And we all worry when our cats aren't happy. We were more than happy to do some handholding with you, as others have done it with us in the past!

Redfraggle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have all been there, to some degree or another. And we all worry when our cats aren't happy. We were more than happy to do some handholding with you, as others have done it with us in the past!
Thank you, that is so kind of you! This site seems so supportive, I'm really glad I found it. Hope you're having a great Saturday.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This site saved my sanity when my cat had pancreatitis and I was frantic. That's what we're about. And we're glad you found us, too!

Thank you, my Saturday has been wonderful thus far!