Aggression after neuter :(

marvkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! This is my first post so I'm unsure if I'm even doing this right. So my cat Goose has been very aggressive for months after he got neutered in July this year. I've had him since he was 3 months old but decided to get him neutered when he's 11 months old since my mom thought it was a good idea. Before that, Goose was really sweet and never bit nor scratched anyone. He was truly and angel :( But once he healed from his surgery, he started becoming more aggressive towards everyone in the family! I'm usually the one who he treats as his scratching post because he's the closest with me, but it's starting to get to a point where I'm really sad if he does it :( He's an indoor cat but now my mom insists that we keep him outside in his cage so he doesn't hurt anyone. I seriously don't know what to do.. I've read other threads about the aggression disappearing within 1-2 months but Goose has been like for more than 5 :( I hope someone is able to help me with this! I'd love to have the angelic little Goose back.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may have been neutered a little late and had already been developing his 'tom cat' aggression. Or it may have been so traumatic for him he is having 'redirected aggression' and is lashing out at anyone close to him. Has he been back to a vet since then to rule out any pain he may be having or any medical reasons for lashing out? I would recommend that first, then we can concentrate on his mental reasons.
First, does he prefer to be outside? That may be contributing to his confusion and loneliness and he is lashing out. if he does try to spend as much time as possible with him outside, sitting quietly and letting him come to you, leaving treats when you leave. He might associate you or your family with his fright of the neutering and needs to be 'tamed' again. You might research how to tame a feral and start there. if he misses being inside you might start by bringing him and confining him to your room for a while. Do not force him into anything at all, in fact kinda ignore him for a while, offering your friendship but not pushing it. If he attacks or comes at you, there is a method of discipline that works on a cat's level. When he comes close and starts to scratch, take him by the loose skin on the back of his neck, hold him still on the ground for a few seconds and say NO loudly or hiss at him. This is what mama cats do to teach manners to their little ones. Do this EVERY time, do not let him scratch you again. If he does you'll have to start over. Cat's will instinctively still/quiet when grabbed by the loose skin on their neck. Never lift them off the ground like this, but if he struggles too much, you can lift just his front legs off the ground to give you more leverage, He should be able to support his weight on his back legs. I had to give meds to an aggressive cat like this for as long as he was alive, it saved a lot of bloody scratches! This method will teach him manners once more, but like I said you will have to rule out pain, disease, etc, because that can override any discipline. Good luck and please keep us informed on how he is doing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marvkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
TYSM for the response!! I did bring him to the vet weeks after he started being aggressive to ask for advice, but they just left it at "It's just how cats behave".. After that disappointing vet visit, I scheduled another appointment with a different individual who did a better job. She did inform me after checking that there's nothing wrong with Goose though. So I think this rules out the possibility that he's in pain. Do you think I should go bring him to a different vet to make sure?
I visit him frequently when he's outdoor and play with the rabbits in the backyard too! I think he doesn't like being in the cage much but if we let him out, he'll jump over the fence to get to the stray cats in the neighbourhood :( My mom isn't really fond of Goose interacting with the strays since they seem to have skin problems, so I'm keeping him in the cage for now. Oh and he's usually kept inside while my parents are at work btw! And we're also trying little by little to make him get used to living indoors again (he's actually sleeping in my room tonight. i'm hoping he won't murder me in my sleep hahahaha).
I did try your method of making him stay still and saying NO cause he actually pounced on me just now. It was intense because he looked so ready to bite my face off 😭 but he backed off after I hissed. Now he's relaxing (i hope) after running around my room for a while.
Can you tell me more about the meds that helped your cat?? I would love to talk to the vet and ask if Goose needs it. Thanks again btw! :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I can't offer any concrete explanation for why Goose would become aggressive months after neutering. Fear, frustration, illness and/or and pain are likely the most common reasons - and, not necessarily anything to do with the neutering. Did the second vet draw blood (CBC & Chemistry Profile) and take urine for analysis? Just 'looking over' a cat isn't going to confirm or rule out if there might be a related health issue behind the aggression.

Have there been changes in the household that might be causing some unusual tension or a difference in the home environment? Some cats are notorious for picking up on even the most subtle changes that we humans may take for granted. I am not sure caging him outside is going to do any other than possibly make him more aggressive, especially if he is used to being indoors. See if your mom would be OK with you keeping him in your room instead of outside while you try to work through this. I'd also pay attention to what is going on right before these attacks - if you can find a pattern, that will help to determine a possible resolution.

Lastly, while there are anti-anxiety meds you could discuss with the vet, the other aspects noted above should be investigated first. In the meantime, you might want to try some less drastic products to see if any of them could help calm him. See the link below for some of the calming products that are on the market. There are others beyond these as well - just do an internet search on 'cat calming products'. Not all of them work on all cats, so you might have to experiment a bit.

Other members have used cat calming music with success - There's Cat In My Arms on spotify and elsewhere, youtube has hours-long compilations of relaxing cat music, and there's also RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats (courtesy of Furballsmom Furballsmom ).

The 7 Best Cat Calming Products (2020 Reviews) (bestofmycat.com)

Last edited:

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In regards to aggression could it be play aggression? As in biting at your ankles or fast moving hands? Young cats still have a ton of energy and if not properly played with (no hands!) or not played 2-3 times a day for 15 to 30 minutes with a wand toy to get them panting then it's quite common for young cats to appear aggressive. It's just a ton of pent up energy, and putting him in a small cage isn't going to help with that at all but just make him more frustrated. I'd play with him with a wand toy for 20 minutes, get him panting. You can even harness/leash train him to take him for walks to burn off energy. Make sure no one hits him, or sprays him with a water bottle as that just leads to frustration. I don't think being neutered caused the aggression, its just teenage angst lol. My first cat would bite my ankles if she had too much energy to.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was talking about a cat that was impossible to pill and he needed antibiotics a few times. I had to scruff him, lift his front feet off the ground and put the liquid antibiotic into the side of his mouth. The vet tried pilling him and came away bloody. Then had my husband and an assistant help and they ALL got scratched and pill was across the room!
Hey if hissing gets his attention keep doing it. Just make sure if he comes at you to get that hold in him. It takes a while, but he will learn not to be such a brat. There are 'calming aides' treats for cats on Amazon, I gave half doses to my cats for vet visits and they did much better. Start out with a low dose if you try them.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The more I read into your posts, the more I really think this is a behavioral problem that has gotten out of hand. He is just trying to dominate you and get his way. Scruffing him is a way to teach him manners and once he learns to respect you it won't have to be continued. I always say use it as a last resort because it is so physical, but I think he is there. He is acting up because he can. Like I said that is what mama cats do. Don't let him attack others either, maybe keep him with you until he learns his manners. You shouldn't have to sleep with one eye open! :)

marvkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I can't offer any concrete explanation for why Goose would become aggressive months after neutering. Fear, frustration, illness and/or and pain are likely the most common reasons - and, not necessarily anything to do with the neutering. Did the second vet draw blood (CBC & Chemistry Profile) and take urine for analysis? Just 'looking over' a cat isn't going to confirm or rule out if there might be a related health issue behind the aggression.

Have there been changes in the household that might be causing some unusual tension or a difference in the home environment? Some cats are notorious for picking up on even the most subtle changes that we humans may take for granted. I am not sure caging him outside is going to do any other than possibly make him more aggressive, especially if he is used to being indoors. See if your mom would be OK with you keeping him in your room instead of outside while you try to work through this. I'd also pay attention to what is going on right before these attacks - if you can find a pattern, that will help to determine a possible resolution.

Lastly, while there are anti-anxiety meds you could discuss with the vet, the other aspects noted above should be investigated first. In the meantime, you might want to try some less drastic products to see if any of them could help calm him. See the link below for some of the calming products that are on the market. There are others beyond these as well - just do an internet search on 'cat calming products'. Not all of them work on all cats, so you might have to experiment a bit.

Other members have used cat calming music with success - There's Cat In My Arms on spotify and elsewhere, youtube has hours-long compilations of relaxing cat music, and there's also RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats (courtesy of Furballsmom Furballsmom ).

The 7 Best Cat Calming Products (2020 Reviews) (bestofmycat.com)
I don't think the vet did anything you mentioned bit then again, I'm kinda hesitant to ask since she was adamant on leaving it at that and not doing anything more. And ykno, since I'm basically a kid and not a professional, I'm hesitant to ask more hahaha. But maybe I'll try visiting a different vet if the methods everyone has been suggesting isn't working :)

As far as changes go, nothing really changed after we got Goose back from the vet after he got neutered. The only thing I did was change his litters to something that won't hurt his ~area~. I think I used shredded paper 🤔 But that's it. A week after that, I did fill his litter box with what I've been using for months since I got him. And my mom's ok with Goose staying in my room as long as he's not hurting her when I let him venture out of my room for a bit. I forgot to mention that he usually attacks randomly. Someone could be sitting still for hours then Goose would start scratching and biting their ankle like there's no tomorrow. My leg is actually littered with scars right now LOL. I really don't think there's a pattern or anything though. It just happens whenever Goose felt like it, I guess.

Thanks for the suggestion btw! I did try playing relaxing music for cats and Goose seems to like it so far :) Maybe I'll try leaving it on for him more. I'll also order some of those cat relaxing products you've mentioned!

marvkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In regards to aggression could it be play aggression? As in biting at your ankles or fast moving hands? Young cats still have a ton of energy and if not properly played with (no hands!) or not played 2-3 times a day for 15 to 30 minutes with a wand toy to get them panting then it's quite common for young cats to appear aggressive. It's just a ton of pent up energy, and putting him in a small cage isn't going to help with that at all but just make him more frustrated. I'd play with him with a wand toy for 20 minutes, get him panting. You can even harness/leash train him to take him for walks to burn off energy. Make sure no one hits him, or sprays him with a water bottle as that just leads to frustration. I don't think being neutered caused the aggression, its just teenage angst lol. My first cat would bite my ankles if she had too much energy to.
I play with him a lot (and regularly) so I don't think it's play aggression :( He also runs around a lot when I let him in during the day so I bet that would've burned off most of his energy. And my family member usually calls me to 'remove' Goose from them if he starts attacking, and I've never hit him back or sprayed him with water :) I just return him to his cage so he can be alone and calm down. Though now I'm not sure if that's the right thing to do :( Yeah! My sister and I joke around about how Goose is just acting up because of 'puberty' hahahaha. But then again, he did start acting differently after getting neutered, so there's always the thought of maybe we shouldn't have done it in the first place. Thanks for the respond btw!

marvkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was talking about a cat that was impossible to pill and he needed antibiotics a few times. I had to scruff him, lift his front feet off the ground and put the liquid antibiotic into the side of his mouth. The vet tried pilling him and came away bloody. Then had my husband and an assistant help and they ALL got scratched and pill was across the room!
Hey if hissing gets his attention keep doing it. Just make sure if he comes at you to get that hold in him. It takes a while, but he will learn not to be such a brat. There are 'calming aides' treats for cats on Amazon, I gave half doses to my cats for vet visits and they did much better. Start out with a low dose if you try them.
Oh nooo that sounds like a nightmare to deal with :( Yeah.. I think the first time I tried hissing, it kinda shocked him a little hahahaha. He's probably used to only being removed from the room whenever he attacked and not getting scolded. I hope it works in disciplining him though.
Okayyy! I'll keep that in mind and try looking it up later! Thanksss :)

BeaG

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, it's really sad to read it all. I've got our kitten only about 3 moths so I know I'm not an exert, but what I've done I've spent lots of time I've reading and watching things what to do with cats, how to "train" them etc. and it always says - cats don't understand punishment the same way for example dogs do. You need to get to the bottom of the problem. If you keep punishing him, he will just get worse and worse. Have you heard about Jackson Galaxy? He is called "cat daddy" and has a show called "my cat from hell" where he helped lots of cats and their owners - you can message him and send him the video and he will answer. I think it may be worth a try because if you keep locking him in a cage he will not get better. Did you try a room where he can be more comfortable instead of a cage?

marvkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, it's really sad to read it all. I've got our kitten only about 3 moths so I know I'm not an exert, but what I've done I've spent lots of time I've reading and watching things what to do with cats, how to "train" them etc. and it always says - cats don't understand punishment the same way for example dogs do. You need to get to the bottom of the problem. If you keep punishing him, he will just get worse and worse. Have you heard about Jackson Galaxy? He is called "cat daddy" and has a show called "my cat from hell" where he helped lots of cats and their owners - you can message him and send him the video and he will answer. I think it may be worth a try because if you keep locking him in a cage he will not get better. Did you try a room where he can be more comfortable instead of a cage?
Yeah :( it is really frustrating because I don't know what brought this on and why it kept happening. This is why I'm not sure on how to proceed since I have no idea why my cat is like this in the first place other than the fact that it started after he got neutered. And yes, I've heard of him and actually watched his show years ago. Maybe I'll try getting back into it and find ways on how to deal with my cat the right way! I'm aware that keeping him in a cage outdoors isn't the best of solution but it's the only way to separate him from the rest of the family since my mom's iffy about having Goose stay with me in my room 24/7. It's okay now though because we're trying to get him used to living indoor again :) Let's see if he's going to get better after disciplining him and keeping him inside :) Thank you for the respond!!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
don't ever think that NOT neutering him would have been better, I have had ferals for years and the ones I couldn't get neutered led a miserable life, fighting all the time, losing eyes and ears, getting almost constant abscesses. If he wasn't neutered, the aggression would be MUCH worse. it takes like 6 weeks for hormones to leave their bodies, so maybe he is super cranky from his neuter menopause, there is even a chance the anesthesia is still messing with his brain if it did something. Just give it time and keep the discipline consistent, eh should not be allowed to attack anyone.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The more I read into your posts, the more I really think this is a behavioral problem that has gotten out of hand. He is just trying to dominate you and get his way. Scruffing him is a way to teach him manners and once he learns to respect you it won't have to be continued. I always say use it as a last resort because it is so physical, but I think he is there. He is acting up because he can. Like I said that is what mama cats do. Don't let him attack others either, maybe keep him with you until he learns his manners. You shouldn't have to sleep with one eye open! :)
No scruffing is what mom cats do to carry their kittens from one place to another not to discipline them. It's a way to immobilize but it's still scary for them and could potentially be painful.

Hopefully more play time helps. Do you have at least two nice sized cat trees in the home for him? Cat toys around?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have seen many mother cats grab their kittens by the skin of the neck and pin them to the floor growling when they have been too rowdy. Their teeth would be much more painful then our hands. It is supposed to be uncomfortable, it is meant as a last resort to keep a cat from attacking you. And keeping the cat from being rehomed or worse. Human children need to feel uncomfortable at times too, it means they have a conscious and are learning other people have feelings too. All young things are born selfish, it is instinctive. They have to learn manners and limits by being taught. It is hard not have everything be me, me, me.