Age To Neuter??

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I keep getting different suggestions from people at my work ( I work at an animal hospital) as to when to neuter my kitten. Just curious on your thoughts. I have no idea how old my kitten is, he is either 4 months or 5 months, he is large for a kitten of either age so it's hard to tell. Some people suggest getting him neutered now, so say to wait another couple months. My vet has said that he has noticed that male kittens neutered early tend to have issues with blockages later in life, this is just something he has noticed not fact. My concern is spraying, I don't ever want him to spray, and I'm worried if I wait another month or two he might spray, if he did I would take him right in a neuter him but I'm thinking if he sprays once, even if he gets neutered right away, wouldn't he be more prone to spraying after? Or would that not be an issue? Ugh I would like to just get it over with but after working at a hospital I know what a pain it is dealing with cats that have chronic blockages. Any thoughts? Thanks!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
5-6 months would be a nice compromise, from two pound minimum to 12 months to avoid blockages. I have waited until a year on some of my cats and it was too late to stop spraying. Although the 4 I have now have never sprayed and they were all done at a year. I really think it is easier on them and they heal faster the younger, so 6 months would be about right. Neutering has never been a problem, all my cats have been up and running around like normal the next day, or even hours later, so don't worry too much. Females have a much more involved ordeal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
All my previous male cats were neutered young but unfortunately they never made it to old age so I don't know about the blockage thing. I guess I'll wait one more month when he could be 6 months, I wish I knew his age.
Why do neutered male cats spray anyway?

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My male cat was neutered at about 5 months. He never sprayed before or afterwards.
I believe some neutered male cats spray to "mark territory", perhaps for the benefit of other males? Mine lived with 4 females, so saw no need to mark. He had excellent litterbox habits all of his almost 16 years...and never blocked up.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For what it's worth, both of my males were neutered in late kittenhood/early adulthood, and never sprayed, nor have they had any urinary issues.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually any time between 3-7 months is fine. Most males don't start to spray until at least 8 months and I feel like kittens under 3 months are just too tiny (shelters will do what they have to do but for pet cats I'd prefer they get a little bigger). Studies have shown no link between age at neutering and blockage, but if it makes you feel better to wait 1-2 more months that should be safe in regards to spraying.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Out of the dozens of cats I have owned and cared for over 50 years, only one of my neutered males sprayed and he wasn't neutered until he was a year old, so I think he was spraying before the surgery. I have owned one female that stood and sprayed too, go figure!

SK13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think they have to be over 2lb which is about 2-3 months
But i think the best range is about 4-6 months as it is the required weight but does not spray.