Age of feral cat

cats4us

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been feeding a feral cat for a few months. He has a large territory around here, I believe, so I don't see him every day. I have noticed that lately he has a few gray hairs coming out in his fur. Do cats get gray as they get older, like human do?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not really the same way that humans and some dogs do. But some cats do get some white hairs now and then. It might be from age or just his coloring.

Have you trapped him and taken him to the vet yet? He'll live a lot longer if he's neutered and vaccinated. Tomcats don't usually live very long--they fight so much that they get infections and diseases.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not necessarily. Black smoke cats can get quite a few grey hairs all around their face. What color is the cat? If black, it might have a grey/white undercoat and that is why you are seeing some grey hairs sprout up. I also agree with Willowy, you should try to trap the cat and get him fixed. You can just google TNR (trap/neuter/release) for your county and you can contact one of those places to get info. and borrow a trap. It only costs about $30.00 - $35.00 and includes the spay/neuter, shots, worming, flea product, microchip, and ear tip.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cats4us

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have not yet been able to trap BearKitty. I never know exactly when he'll come around. And there are 2 other cats, owned by my neighbor, who have free run of the outdoors. They love my yard, since it has a lot of cat toys, catnip plants, shade, and dirt to roll in, plus some cat houses (supposed to be for strays) they they like to nap in. Any trap I put out, they would be in it. So, I'm not sure how to go about it.
Also - if I could trap BearKitty, would he then be afraid to come back to my house?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If BearKitty is hungry, she/he will keep coming back after you trap/S-N her/him. And, luckily(?), cats have short memories. I've TNRd about 12 cats since November and, for better or worse, they keep coming back to eat at My Restaurant. In fact, I've re-trapping the same cats a couple of times, in which case I simply let him/her go. And they return the next day to eat and visit the other cats in the cat colony I take care of. (And Murphy's Law being what it is, the cat I really need to spade, keeps on eluding the trap.)
On the other hand, as an OP said, tom cats tend not to live as long as neutered cats; they get into fights, develop absesses and other diseases, some of which are fatal.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
BearKitty would still definitely come back, for sure!!! They all do and trapping (unusually so) builds a bond between you and the cat because they see you as their savior when you pick them up from the vet to be released back into their territory. I have never had a cat not come back. I would still plan to trap BearKitty and just tell you neighbor when you are planning on doing that. If you neighbor is a cat lover, they will appreciate what you are trying to do and might even offer to help
. Good luck

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, if you catch the neighbor's cats, just let 'em go again. . .most cats don't like being trapped and won't go in again. But if they do decide that getting the food is worth being trapped, just ask your neighbor to keep them inside until you get BearCat. And, yeah, some ferals will disappear for a few days after being released, but they always come back. They know where they have it good

Before you trap him, contact the low-cost place or your vet to make arrangements. . .some vets don't like to handle ferals. If your vet is resistant, try another--wildlife vets are usually willing; not much difference between a wild animal and a feral cat!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Go to www.alleycat.org. They have a great video section that shows how to trap. It was a lifesaver to me. I trapped Shadow in October. I took him to a low cost clinic as it was just so convenient and cheap. My vet would have done it, but I would have needed an appointment. With the low cost clinic, they have certain hours every day where you can just show up with a feral. I trapped him in the morning, took him to the clinic and picked him up in the evening. It was $35 for neuter, ear tip and rabies shot. I kept him inside that night in the trap covered with a blanket and then released him the next morning. He shot out of the trap like a flash of lightning but returned later that day to eat. He has been with me every day since.