Age appropriate cat companion

chom-chom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am considering getting another cat; a friend for Chomsky to play with. He is a little over a year old now. What age cat would be a good match? He is still very kitten like in his behaviour, so could I get a kitten younger than he is or would a cat at least as old as he is be better?

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It doesn't really matter the age as much as it does the personality matches up.  Also that you do a proper introduction.  Cats do not like change and he may be resistant to the idea.  Just read the forum, it's one of the biggest problems asked about "I got a new cat and they hate each other" is all over the board.  It is extremely important to assess your current cats personality.  Is he laid back?  Is he an alpha?  If so, you need to get a kitty that has a similar energy level and is not an alpha, but not shy either because they will become prey like to him. 

You will need to keep them separated for about a week.  Keep interactions brief.  Many use treats.  It seems to help.  Expect hissing, growling, swatting.  Do NOT get on to them.  Just separate again and try later.  It can take about a month for them to accept each other.  Some times longer, some times shorter. 

Most people believe a kitten is more easily accepted.  Because he is young, this may be true for him. 

reikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you came to me at one of my adoption events I'd bring up the questions @P3 and The King  brought up.

You want to make sure get a good energy and personality match. Look for a foster group to adopt from as they'll be able to give you a better idea of a cats personality then a shelter would. (not always true, but since foster kitties live in a home usually it's more accurate). I'd aim for a kitty right around Chomsky's age 6 months to 2 years. It'be a good match in age and energy levels.

You may want to lean towards getting a female as well. I recommend one cat of each gender to people or two males. Two females can often end up fighting more having more clashes in personality.

Good luck!