After panleukopenia, how safe is it to adopt a second kitten?

Renne

a kitty parent
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten recently stopped eating, and after blood test and ultrasound she was diagnosed with panleukopenia. Her case turned out to be rather 'lite', and she's now fully recovered after a week of treatment with antibiotics.

As I understand, this particular virus is so resilient that it's pretty much impossible to remove from one's home and it persists for over a year. We've entertained the idea of adopting a playmate for our kitten before all this happened, because she's TOO playful, to the point that we're crying from her bugging us all the time to play (and no, she won't play by herself!). As of now, it's difficult to find a new kitten, because this playmate must be vaccinated before he or she can ever put her paws inside our home. However, even if we do find a vaccinated one, afaik vaccination is not always helpful and can fail to provide adequate protection, especially if a kitten is overexposed to the virus. Which should be all over our apartment now. and will continue to be, for about a year...

What do you gals and guys think? Is it worth the risk? Our kitten recovered fast, but normally panleukopenia is very hard on kittens and often lethal.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tough, tough question. You're right...that virus can live for up to a year on surfaces. I'd ask the advice of your vet, to tell you the truth. The one who got your current kitten through this. I wish I could add more to this, but...just...THANK YOU for being so determined to keep any new kitten in your home safe! And best of luck with your little fireball!