After My Cat Eats, Should I Wait A While Before Exercising Him?

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today he did this weird burp thing and looked uncomfortable after a minute of play. I was really worried but then I realized I had just given his morning meal in the other room a few mins prior. Do you guys wait a certain amount of time after feeding to do running around and jumping play

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A normal cycle for a cat would be play>eat>groom>sleep - so although I don't think you have caused an otherwise healthy cat any harm by playing with him after eating, it would be more natural for him to have a play (simulated hunting!) session before offering food, and then leave him to bathe and nap afterwards.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do the playing before feeding. It ties better in with their natural rhythm of chase, catch, kill, eat, sleep. By playing first, then feeding, you should trigger a sleep right after which is great for evening play time or if you leave for work/school.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I always play with Charlie before eating. He’s never been as active or energetic after a meal.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We avoid playing with our cats just before and just after meals: one of our cats has a tendency to vomit if there's a combination of a full stomach and being worked up! I think this is part of why she has a tendency to scarf and barf: she's excited to eat and still has food anxiety from when she was an underfed kitten, more than four years ago. Edwina would eat and eat and eat and eat if we let her. Instead we feed five small meals a day, which really helps keep problems to a minimum.

Mango the Maine Coon Mango the Maine Coon , based on our experience, I'd wait on playtime if the cat (Mango, right?) is burping. If Edwina's playing a little on her own after she eats -- she sometimes does, batting toys around a little -- we don't try to stop her (as if that's even possible!) but the last thing we want to do is get her running!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
A normal cycle for a cat would be play>eat>groom>sleep - so although I don't think you have caused an otherwise healthy cat any harm by playing with him after eating, it would be more natural for him to have a play (simulated hunting!) session before offering food, and then leave him to bathe and nap afterwards.
I do the playing before feeding. It ties better in with their natural rhythm of chase, catch, kill, eat, sleep. By playing first, then feeding, you should trigger a sleep right after which is great for evening play time or if you leave for work/school.
I always play with Charlie before eating. He’s never been as active or energetic after a meal.
We avoid playing with our cats just before and just after meals: one of our cats has a tendency to vomit if there's a combination of a full stomach and being worked up! I think this is part of why she has a tendency to scarf and barf: she's excited to eat and still has food anxiety from when she was an underfed kitten, more than four years ago. Edwina would eat and eat and eat and eat if we let her. Instead we feed five small meals a day, which really helps keep problems to a minimum.

Mango the Maine Coon Mango the Maine Coon , based on our experience, I'd wait on playtime if the cat (Mango, right?) is burping. If Edwina's playing a little on her own after she eats -- she sometimes does, batting toys around a little -- we don't try to stop her (as if that's even possible!) but the last thing we want to do is get her running!
Thank you guys so much I can’t believe I worry about so many little things involving Mango yet completely overlooked this.. of course they would rather eat after playing! :) I’ll definitely be switching up the order of things now. I’m trying to learn more about what I can do to go about replicating a cats natural rhythm/wild instincts that carry over into domestic kitty life, besides what I just learned about food/play timing. I would love any articles or personal anecdotes relating to this!
:runningcat::dizzycat::climbcat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mango the Maine Coon

Big Kitten
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried the suggestion to play then feed and he seems to really prefer this way!! Thanks again for the info, Mango seems very happy and he was more athletic during his play time :runningcat:

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
It also depends on the cat. One of mine prefers to play after. He's always bouncing off the walls after he eats