After hematoma,,,,,

misty4554

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi I have an eleven year old cat. He had a hematoma on the tip of his ear and I opted out of the surgery. He has been ok but suddenly he has lost weight not a lot. He is also chewing funny,had an oily spot on the back of his neck which went away as soon as I washed it. (I thought my son got pizza grease on him). He has been his playful self until this morning he threw up and was not being himself. He hid under the bed all day. I have Vet appointment in the early AM . He finally came out to eat at 10:30 pm not he is sitting in meatloaf position which is not a normal position for him.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you say you opted out of the surgery, are you saying the ear still has an issue?

He definitely sounds like a cat in serious discomfort or even pain. Can you count his breaths and heartbeat per minute? Without disturbing him too much? I'm not an expert on feline illnesses, but I'm concerned what an untreated hematoma might mean. Do you know what caused it? Was your cat injured? Was it ear mites? Does he have a clotting disorder? How long has he had it and is it on the outer or inner ear?

Last edited:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi I have an eleven year old cat. He had a hematoma on the tip of his ear and I opted out of the surgery. He has been ok but suddenly he has lost weight not a lot. He is also chewing funny,had an oily spot on the back of his neck which went away as soon as I washed it. (I thought my son got pizza grease on him). He has been his playful self until this morning he threw up and was not being himself. He hid under the bed all day. I have Vet appointment in the early AM . He finally came out to eat at 10:30 pm not he is sitting in meatloaf position which is not a normal position for him.
hi and welcome to TCS!

my mickey had a hematoma on/in his ear years ago, and i also did not choose the surgery -- mickey had arrhythmia, so any surgery was very risky with him. did your vet prescribe medication to treat the hematoma? if i remember correctly, my mickey's hematoma was treated with medication. the oily spot on the back of your boy's neck -- could that have come from his hematoma? had the hematoma reduced and ceased to look 'blister'-like? again, if i remember correctly, our vet at that time had said that popping/draining a hematoma could leave the cat open to infection developing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty4554

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

This is why I did not do surgery. My cat has not been in any pain until yesterday morning he has been playing eating and being a kitty. I did take him to the vet and blood tests were done I will find out results tomorrow. The Dr said his ear healed wonderfully. I Googled the greasy neck and it does point to thyroid. I am praying that its something minor.

Last edited by a moderator:

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'm glad to hear that your vet said your boy's hematoma healed wonderfully! my mickey's ear healed into a 'cauliflower ear', but did heal well too.

please let us know what your vet says about the blood work results. sending 
that it's a fast diagnosis and is easily treated.

is that a pic of your boy? he's a very good looking boy! i love the 'smudge' on one side of his nose!

misty4554

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Rangers blood came back fine. I hope its not cancer and wld need an ultra sound to find out. The vet wants to wait a few days to see how he is.[emoji]128543[/emoji]

misty4554

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is eating and going to bathroom but he has lost weight.He is a little anemic.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is eating and going to bathroom but he has lost weight.He is a little anemic.
i'm glad that your ranger's blood work results were fine. but that still leaves the weight loss and discomfort (ie, 'loaf' position) unclear as to it's cause.

that's good that he's eating and going to the bathroom!

my snick has had an ultrasound, several years ago. the ultrasound was to see how her gastrointestinal system was looking, she has IBD. but an added benefit for us was that snick was diagnosed with 'the beginnings' of kidney issues because it was noticed at her ultrasound that she had very small kidneys -- even for a cat her age (11 years old at that time). this allowed our vet to start snick on sub-q fluids very early, and now (about 4 years later) snick's chronic kidney disease has progressed but very slowly over that time. for a girl with these serious medical issues, snick is continuing to do very well. so, an ultrasound can be very helpful.

has your vet prescribed anything for the anemia yet?

misty4554

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He was prescribed a vitamin.the vet wants to see how he is in a few days. I am a single mom getting now child support and the 400.00 ultra sound is hard right now at this moment

misty4554

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am keeping an eye on him he is eating,,using liter box and cleaning himself. He is not in any pain. He was sedated yesterday and may feel after effects ,so hopefully tomorrow he will feel more like himself.

misty4554

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi
Ranger seems to be doing better,not 100% yet but getting there. He is not in meatloaf position anymore ,,only the first day. Thank you for asking

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@misty4554 -- i'm glad your ranger is starting to feel better. you mentioned that your vet wanted to see how your boy is doing in a few days. so it's only been one day. let's hope that after a couple more days your ranger is feeling much better.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is slowly getting back to normal
this is really good news!

i'm anemic and unless i take my daily iron supplement, i start feeling overly tired and weak for no apparent (/other) reason. though i've never had a cat who has had anemia, i imagine it's just as uncomfortable and makes them feel poorly too.

misty4554

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ranger is alit better,,he is getting into trouble which makes me happy

misty4554

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all your support and concern [emoji]128522[/emoji]

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ranger is alit better,,he is getting into trouble which makes me happy
ahhh...that your ranger is getting into trouble again is a good sign that he's feeling better!

you are welcome! here at TCS, there is always someone(s) who has experience or is able to make suggestions to help our cat(s).

do you know -- has your vet said if s/he feels that the anemia was what was causing your ranger's symptoms, and if s/he feels ranger only needs the iron supplement?