After Fip In Multi-cat Household

Ponju

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all, I need some advice. I had six cats in my house, two adults and two pairs of bonded kittens- a pair of 9 mo old brothers and a pair of 2.5 mo old sisters. Unfortunately over this past Thanksgiving holiday, two of my kittens (one from each bonded pair) came down with FIP and after an emotional week and a half, we put them to sleep together.

My boyfriend and I are absolutely heartbroken because we each lost our snuggle buddies. The four cats that are left are independent types and not much for cuddling humans (they snuggle with each other some though). I think the littlest one doesn't even realize she has lost her sister but the 9 mo old cries for his brother at night because that's when they would go on bug patrol together around the house. It's so sad because we know he won't be answered ever again.

I'm extremely hesitant about bringing in any new cat into this house now since I'm pretty convinced everyone is Coronavirus positive. With four cats intermingling and bathing each other and sharing cat litter boxes during the FIP I think the probability is extremely high. I don't think I can emotionally handle another FIP inflicted kitten.

However my boyfriend wants to get new kittens for Christmas. It would be exactly one month after. I, too, want new kittens but I'm afraid that even though I've disinfected my house and washed everything, that there will still be new traces because of the four cats left. I've read that the chance of FIP occuring spikes with more than 5 cats in the house so that adds to the paranoia of bringing in more. I'm also afraid that it's too soon and we may be rushing not giving enough time for the virus to completely die out. We very much want new cats, but I don't want to doom new kittens because we were too impatient and foolish.

What I've read about adoption after FIP has been pretty wishy-washy and has left me even more confused so I thought I'd ask her for any personal experiences or thoughts? Thank you.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
According to stopfip.org, the virus is dead within two weeks, although it can survive longer in feces, etc. So after a month, you should be as safe as you can be. I thought you would want the link to STOP FIP.

http://www.stopfip.org/faq.html