After Dental Procedure?

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, my 13 year old Bengal had Dental procedure 3 days ago, and 4 teeth taken out. He’s doing ok, but he’s only got front teeth left..My question: Can he still eat kibbles comfortably? I haven’t put out any kibbles yet, till his gums are healed up..thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Found the answer, thanks for looking.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi hunter! My cat will be undergoing total extraction in about 2 weeks. Talking with her vet I found out her cat is toothless and enjoys his kibble. She assured me that my cat can still eat kibble toothless. Right now she has a mouthful of bad teeth and gums and still enjoys and eats a bowl full of dry kibble daily. I also feed her wet food too. I am more concerned about her eating with a sore tender mouth and will feel relieved once her rotten teeth are gone and no longer bother her.

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After reading an article, I gave him dry food. He ate them just fine, no chewing, just gobbling it up. Good luck with your kitty’s dental procedure. His bill was $700, and it was his second time.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow! That's high! I have talked to the vet and double checked with the front desk at the clinic and they tell me the ballpark cost is $350 - $400. But I recall the last time I took a cat in for tooth extraction (6 teeth extracted for a cat 10 yrs ago) the bill came to more than $600. So I am very anxious about the bill.

I have put a credit towards the bill and the clinic is putting in what they have in their fund which helps. A friend also gave me a small donation which also helps. I also spoke with the director of the animal shelter where I adopted my Gypsy and she promised to make a donation towards her bill. I just pray it will all be enough. Luckily I have two more weeks to collect more money. I am doing what I can and just trusting that everything will work out.

One of these days I am not going to be able to afford to have a cat anymore if the medical costs continue to rise exponentially.

There is a feline specialty dental hygiene clinic about an hour away that charges about $3K for total extraction! Yowzer!!!

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah I know what you mean, Vet visits aren’t cheap. First time he had dental procedure, it was almost $600 too. There are others who charge around $400, but I have this Vet ever since. We all know in time, they need more than Dental work, and bill can rack up to thousands. I got these Two Bengals 13 years ago when they were just 12 weeks old. After few weeks, one got sick, cost me over $1200, before his Vet decided he had FIP, and was put to sleep, he was 5 months old. So yeah, best thing is to save up for their medical plan. After that, I got this one (Hunter) medical insurance, but cancelled it after a year, insurance doesn’t covers much. How many cats do you have?
P.S I had my kitten cremated, he’s in a nice wooden box with poem, four paws in heaven

Last edited:

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I remember when the vet insurance first came out and bought it for my then two cats. I cancelled it as soon as I could as I decided like you it really doesn't cover enough especially for the cost. Better to save on my own.

I only have my one cat Gypsy. I got her just last month after my 19 yr old geriatric cat died. That old cat was the last of 5 that I had at one time. She was born in my house and died there so I had her literally for her entire life.

So for now I just have Gypsy. She is a tiny 6 lb calico cat. She was listed at 3 yrs old at the shelter but when I took her in for a vet check was told she presents as an 8 - 10 year old due to her chronic dental hygiene. Her teeth are so bad all have to be removed including canines. One of her canines was so loose that the vet was able to gently pull it out during the visit.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's a pic of Gypsy. She has these beautiful green eyes. Her little head is smaller than my fist.

nap time.jpg

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
06544295-1CDD-4136-9DF3-EED692860F2E.jpeg
Awww sweet baby..wow, 5 at one time, I’ll go crazy worrying about them all the time. I only have one, and it’s highly stressful when he’s not feeling well. This is his photo on his dental procedure. He’s only got his front teeth now..lol

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will never do 5 at a time ever again! LOL You should have seen the looks on peoples faces when I used to bring them in to the vets office all at once for routine checkups and shots. Took me 2-3 trips to get them all out of the car and into the office!

The pics of your kitty's mouth look about as bad as my Gypsy. Lots of black and yellow going on in there. So much tarter and decay that was all the color you see.

How is he doing with just his front teeth? Was it weird for either of you to get used to?

Do you have a pic of him? Would love to see it. Don't mean his mouth but to see what he looks like.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Amalie got five out the first time. She took it like a champ. It was about $900 after discounts
Second time she only had 1 removed. It was possibly around $5-600.
In March, she had 3 removed. It was almost $1000. There were no discounts. This was a new facility as I've moved across country.
What we have now, I think, are a few premolars left. All the fangs are gone, some molars are gone, and the little flea biter teeth in the front never seemed to be there once I took her in as a stray and got her first dental because her mouth looked awful.
And she LOVES kibble.

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
as fine after the surgery, ate so much when we got home, like nothing happened. It’s the third day today, gave him kibbles, and eating them just fine. He seems to be eating more now. I’m sure Gypsy will do just fine. Can’t imagine how much it cost you with 5 of them at a time at the vet.
Here’s my baby at 6 months, then at 3 years old.

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow! He's a beauty! I love his size too. Is he outgoing? I heard Bengals are very energetic and need lots of exercise not just for their bodies but to work those brains of theirs too. Is he a handful?

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think Amalie got five out the first time. She took it like a champ. It was about $900 after discounts
Second time she only had 1 removed. It was possibly around $5-600.
In March, she had 3 removed. It was almost $1000. There were no discounts. This was a new facility as I've moved across country.
What we have now, I think, are a few premolars left. All the fangs are gone, some molars are gone, and the little flea biter teeth in the front never seemed to be there once I took her in as a stray and got her first dental because her mouth looked awful.
And she LOVES kibble.
Okay this is making me more anxious about her upcoming vet bill. I keep worrying that their estimate of $350-$400 for total extraction is low. But then it might be that vet care is cheaper in my area. I'm in Northern VA in the Shenandoah Valley. IDK... I just have to have faith it will all work out!

How was Amalie after she got home? Did she have a recovery period of was she pretty much normal. I have no idea what to expect so am asking. Like will my Gypsy need pain meds or recovery time? Special diet? etc.?

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah! after 13 years, we argue a lot, but of course he wins all the time. This is the result, he wants a walk.

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I took him in, I was presented with an estimate of $500+ for Dental cleaning, plus extractions, which added to the estimate. Even in my area in Las Vegas there are, like you said around $3-400. So yeah, there are vets that charge lower for this procedure. Check a few before making the final decision.
The only pain meds they gave him was one just after the surgery, nothing to give at home. It went well like nothing happened..Got him home, he ate his wet food, and now at 3rd day, he’s eating his kibbles. Gypsy will do just fine.

Last edited:

Candybee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay I am feeling a bit more relieved to hear that.

Love your bengal on a leash! All my life I have only ever had one cat that liked to be walked. It was like walking a little dog down the street. I love the looks of surprise on peoples faces when they see its a cat. I bet your bengal gets a lot of attention on his leash. Oh yeah, I can totally see he is the king of his domain. LOL I remember someone saying a bengal gets what a bengal wants!

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay this is making me more anxious about her upcoming vet bill. I keep worrying that their estimate of $350-$400 for total extraction is low. But then it might be that vet care is cheaper in my area. I'm in Northern VA in the Shenandoah Valley. IDK... I just have to have faith it will all work out!

How was Amalie after she got home? Did she have a recovery period of was she pretty much normal. I have no idea what to expect so am asking. Like will my Gypsy need pain meds or recovery time? Special diet? etc.?
I took her to NOVA cat in Arlington. Before that her vet was in Phoenix at a regular pet hospital. Your estimate is low. Which is either really great, or questionable. Usually just a regular cleaning is $300-500 and includes pre anesthetic blood work and a full dental xray. Even when I took Tommy and Yue for a discount cleaning with a Groupon for $199, I made sure they did blood work, but I didn't request xrays.

When I got from NOVA was 2 quotes - one for a simple cleaning, and one with 2 or 3 extractions, plus antibiotics and pain medication. Yeah... I got the high one. The pain relief lasts about 48 hours, depending on what they use. My old hospital used Buprenex but NOVA used Simbadol. She was a little goofy during the first day, but as her eyes slowly stopped dilating, she came around. She didn't need any special care. There is a chance that your cat will not be mellow after coming out of a general anesthetic. Tommy Gargoyle has been under a general about a dozen times, and when he had his teeth cleaning he came home hyper didn't really recognize us. He had to get a good night's sleep, and then he was totally normal the next day.

What I've seen on full mouth extractions is an estimate of $1000-2500. What you want to see on the estimate is a section labeled for Nerve Blocks. I spoke with Dr Pierson of Catinfo.org and she said something along the lines of nerve blocks requiring less general anesthesia to dull out the pain while they're working on them. It's safer on their systems. Both my facilities used nerve blocks.

The "discount place" for the area that is widely used is out in Richmond called Helping Hands Low Cost Vet Care From Helping Hands in Richmond, VA . They don't leave a message when they call you back and you need to be flexible on scheduling.

hunter1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah it’s fun walking him, except when he growls at people he doesn’t know..I hope you find a Vet that’s more reasonable. Keep us posted.