After Care Spay Question

Angelhaven8864

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!! New to the site for posting but I've been reading posts for awhile. My husband rescued a kitten about 5 months ago from his work. I got her spayed on Friday, shes been running around and jumping and carrying on no matter how much I try to keep her calm. I've turned over barstools so she cant jump and everything. I've sent pics of her incision to the vet but I'm worried that shes really going to hurt herself. I'll attached a picture of her incision day 4 post OP. I took the picture at around 3pm this afternoon. Any sort of advice will be great!! Thank you!!!

Attachments

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the site. Hope you enjoy looking around.
It's really difficult trying to keep kittens calm after an operation, you can only do your best. The wound site looks fine to me, no swelling or infection and most vets put internal desolvable stitches as well. Just keep an eye on it and if you have any doubts, you could always send a photo to your vet for his opinion.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Incision looks good. Some cats really don't get held back at all from surgery, she is one of the lucky ones. Don't force her to be calm, it brings on stress and you don't want that either, or cause her to take chances on jumping, etc. she normally wouldn't. You might get some boxes, etc, to make her little steps up to where she wants to go, it would help and would only be temporary. She may develop a lump at the incision site, that is from the internal stitches. I take it her incision was glued, i don't see any stitches. Watch fro spreading redness or oozing that is not clear. A little bloody oozing is normal, but with glue i doubt you even have that. Any doubts just take your excellent pictures into the vet. All the luck!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
so hard to tell on a spay site from a photo, for me at least. If you have thoughts that it might not be quite right you can send the photo to your vet, or run in and show it to him? He should know what it looked like, and should look like.

Watch for any opening, like its coming apart, and oozing, those are big indicators of a problem. Some swelling is normal, but if it seems excessive i would have her checked. And keep the cone on, or something, to keep her from licking.

My little girl would not be calm either, she eventually had to be caged for a few weeks, but she had a lot of other problems too. Hopefully yours, like most, will recover without issue. :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Angelhaven8864

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the answers. Shes day 6post op today she seems to be doing well. It looks like some of the scab has come off of her incision site. No blood and doesnt look like it's coming apart just. No oozing or anything that I can tell. I really appreciate you both taking the time out.

harhardf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her incision looks great. As long as there is no oozing or bleeding, she is doing just fine. A little licking is ok, just not obsessive. My kitten could not be stopped and she healed perfectly.

Angelhaven8864

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her incision looks great. As long as there is no oozing or bleeding, she is doing just fine. A little licking is ok, just not obsessive. My kitten could not be stopped and she healed perfectly.
Thank you!

Angelhaven8864

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I looked at her incision tonight, shes day 7 today and it looks like the scab has come off. The wound looks closed but theres a little bit of dried blood around it from what I can tell. But everything looks closed...I'm going her scan is just coming off is all. I plan on emailing my vet in the morning with a picture to see what they have to say.

Angelhaven8864

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Shes day 8 post op today...my vet is closed I was able to get a good look at her incision tonight it looks like shes gotten the scab completely off and I'm worried shes gonna open herself up.....

Attachments