After Adoption Vet Visit

sweets1726

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!

The time is getting extremely close for me to adopt my new furbaby!! [emoji]10084[/emoji] u guys have been wonderful in preparing me and answering all my questions. However, I have one more question!! Lol after adoptingmy baby from the shelter should ii go directly to the veterinary clinic or wait a few days after bringing him home? I've heard mixed answers and would like to see what my kitty family thinks! [emoji]10084[/emoji] Thanks guys and gals (;

autumnrose74

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would suggest waiting at least a few days to a week. Your kitty will be stressed enough as it is, what with moving to a new place, and meeting new people, and getting used to a new daily routine, without being popped in the car again and taken to another strange place where some stranger will be poking and prodding him.

My Shelly was with me a week and a half before she went for her initial exam.

nikiwink

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im no expert but id wait a bit too. Just give them time to get used to you and the new routine.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
this was my experience when both of my kitties were adopted from shelters.

They were both adopted from the same shelter (different times), and both were fixed upon adoption.

Charlie was neutered, and Jet was Spayed. The place where I adopted from gave me a certificate to have the cat checked out by the vet for free (free first time appointment) and a list of vets that would accept it. I was told to keep an eye on my kitties, and to take them for a post op vet check up once they have healed (for Charlie about 1 weeks, for Jet about 10-11 days)

That's how I knew when to take them to the vet for the first time.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
A lot depends on the vet care the kitty has already received. I got my first kitten when she was 7.5 weeks old and had never been to a vet. I took her in the next day for a baseline check. The vet didn't give her any shots then because she was still too little, but I didn't want to wait the extra 2-3 weeks before having her seen the first time.

I recently adopted a kitten from the shelter where I volunteer. He'd already been neutered and had his first shots. He was due for his second round of shots a week after I brought him home, so that's when I made the appointment.

A friend adopted an adult cat from the same shelter--neutered and up to date on shots--and she stopped at the vet's on the way home just because that's the way she does things.

If you're adopting from a breeder you need to check the contract. Many breeders will give you a health guarantee, but it's only valid if you take the cat to a vet within 3 days after you get it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweets1726

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I was thinking to exactly that, wait a week and then proceed to have a check up. I've decided apon adopting an older cat so all of ur suggestions have been taken to account and I will do as u all say! Another thing, waiting allows to cat to become acquainted and any hidden issues should become apparent I heard is that also another good reason to wait?

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I was thinking to exactly that, wait a week and then proceed to have a check up. I've decided apon adopting an older cat so all of ur suggestions have been taken to account and I will do as u all say! Another thing, waiting allows to cat to become acquainted and any hidden issues should become apparent I heard is that also another good reason to wait?
Hey long time no chat!  I agree waiting a few days is fine, and yes if there are any concerns waiting a few days should help bring them to light before the vet visit.  Remember to get the shelter's medical policy in writing, including what they have done prior to adoption and what, if anything they will cover post-adoption. Very excited for you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweets1726

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OMG!! I missed ya @StephenQ  lol 
&& thanks!! ii move into my new place officially July 31 so will be adopting once settling in!!